Malkoff flood vs regular

prof student

Enlightened
How much difference is there between 6 & 25 degrees of flood?

Lets say, at 20 feet of distance, what is the width of light of one vs the other?

Is the hot spot/center still the same size though? Or are they totally different?

Does anyone have pics comparing both drop-ins by chance?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The angle measurements are for the angle of the hotspot I think.

The 25 degree beam will be much wider then the 6 degree beam.

No beamshots though.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
i was wondering what the answer to this is also! i finally thought about getting a malkoff

EDIT: my guess is its a bigger wall of light at close range? for the 25 degree verison

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
25 degrees at 20 feet is slightly over 9 (9.3, decimal) feet. At 6 degrees, it's just over 2 (2.1, decimal) feet.

use (dist to object) * tan(angle) for the width of the hotspot.

cat

Enlightened
well, what is the distance factor in the Malkoff spec and all the other optics specs? it's not the reflector angle, because there's no way that is as little as 6 degrees.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm not 100% sure about what I said(hence the I think at the end). But from what I've seen, the angle is for the angle of the beam which comes out of the light. I don't know where the cutoff point is but 50% looks like a good number. I'm not sure how it's measured or calculated.

The wider beam will also have a less intense hotspot.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198954

That's the link to the post you need to see the Malkoff Flood unit. Its very uniform. Unless you are up real close you can see no hotspot because the design has a diffuser over the optic. Very nice uniform light, got mine yesterday. Measured the lumens in the Integration Sphere this morning and it was XXX. Very nice, Full report coming later. :grin2:

Basically this is the best indoor use "lamp" module I have found.

Most flashlights that have a 6 "degree" output is only for the hotspot itself. The spill patterns typically range 25 to 35 degrees overall depending on the actual shape and depth of the reflector.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20634664@N02/2620172694/in/set-72157605868841408/

This is a comparison of some flashlights inside of a shooting range trying to see 5 targets spread out on 5 lanes. The width of the range is 25 feet. The flashlights are being held approximately 42 feet back from the targets. The center target is being focused on. The objective is to see how well the outer most targets can be seen.

I don't have a camera with manual exposure overide, so the camera was trying to balance these all out. What can be seen is the difference in beam pattern. Trying to see all 5 targets is not easy. I am still looking for some one who wants to join my efforts that has a good digital camera with manual exposure override as I am not ready to research and invest in a good digital camera right now. The Malkoff M60F is a great light to see a wide swatch across the range and has less glare and overwhelming contrast on the center point of focus that might actually make some things harder to see.

The Maglight with its tight focusing beam was the loser for this contest. Might be very blinding to the one guy in the center, but if the guy out on the fringes is the real threat, you may not even know he is there.

I am looking for some one in San Jose CA area to join in my efforts to document flashlights in a better setting than just white walls and backyards. Fringe benefits involved. Hopefully this works, send PM if you are serious. G :candle:

generic808

Enlightened
I finally got my M60F yesterday and I must say, it is awesome! The beam is very wide and very, very smooth. The optic is frosted as opposed to the clear optic of the M60.

I don't have any measurements but the spill at about 20 feet is at least twice as wide than the M60. It's kind of hard to tell with the F because the spill spreads evenly all the way out, so there is no definite cut-off point from which to measure. This is a must-have unit! :thumbsup:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrGman, thank you for that link! I have been hoping to see something like that. As usual, Gene has come up with a winner! My .02 FWIW

TKO

Enlightened
I have both the M60 and the M60F and have been bouncing back and forth between the two for a little over a week now.

The M60F is the hands down winner for inside the house distances and I am liking it better for the the 40 yards to the trees in the backyard, too. After that the M60 definitely stretches its legs and like the pink bunny keeps going and going.

I like the versatility of the M60 as it does all distances well, but oh the sweet, smooth, spill of the M60F.

I was going to sell the one I liked the least, but now each Malkoff is getting their own host and job description.:thumbsup:

Well done Gene!

prof student

Enlightened
I am mostly looking between to M60L & the M60LF (b/c of the run time & as of right now, only have G2, but mostly the run time)

But as for anyone who has both regular & flood versions of the SAME drop in, is there really a "center" or hot spot with either one? Or is the light spreading evenly throughout, & its just that the F has a wider beem (spill)?

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Obviously, I'm gonna hafta git me a M60F!

I don't think it will replace the 9P with M60 on my carbine, as I like the distance I get with it. OTOH, it sounds like it would be perfect for the light next to my bed (a 6P) for bump in the night stuff.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
From beamshots of the m60f and my own M60 (non-flood version) I can say that the F has no discernable hotspot, just a large even area of light that gradually tapers off at the edges. The m60 has a well defined hotspot, which has a bright corona tapering off into a darker ring, then a large amount of useful spill. The M60L/LF will have the exact same pattern, since the only difference compared to the M60/F is brightness.

Edit: here is my M60 shined at a white wall 4 feet away

m60ww.jpg

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be interesting to see the M60 with the same thin diffuser or a thinner diffiuser in front of it to smooth out the hot spot but not completely eliminate it into a soft flood (hint hint) as is on the M60F version.