2D LED Maglite upgrade to a Malkoff Devices dropin???

NavyDavy

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to high tech flashlights and a newly sworn reserve deputy. I work mostly evenings so a good light is paramount. I primarily have an E1b (favorite), Stinger DS LED, and a 2D cell Maglite LED. The maglite is usually carried as a backup in the gear bag.

I'm wondering what a Malkoff Devices dropin will do for the 2D cell Maglite which already is an LED?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
im not too experience in the flashlight world, but im pretty sure malkoff will def bring u more light...u shhould go to their website, and check out the contacts information and call Gene Malkoff, he'll tell him self ; )

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
Welcome, NavyDavy.

I can't speak for the Malkoff Mag drop-ins, but I have a Surefire M60L drop-in and *love* it. Solidly constructed and great beam quality.

Here is the web link to the Malkoff Mag drop-ins , but it looks like it has to have a "D" in the beginning of the serial number.

Someone who has a Malkoff Mag drop-in can give their opinion.

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Malkoff drop-in in my 3D Maglite. It blows away the output from a MagLED. It is extremely well-built product. You can certainly get more light out of a Maglite (hotwire mod or one of the multi-LED drop-ins), but the regular Malkoff drop-in provides a whole lot of light while sipping at the batteries.

I think Gene is running a sale until July 4th (10% off any in-stock items; though stock can sometimes be hard to find there due to the popularity of his products)

optodoofus

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff dropin will, for sure, be brighter than the stock M@g LED. The battery life is hard to predict, mostly because the M@g LED as it heats up has a thermal sensor in there and it will reduce the brightness and hence battery drain. But in your situation you probably don't want you light getting dimmer after 10 minutes. The Malkoff is properly heatsunk, so there's no need for the thermal stepdown nonsense. I highly recommend one (or more).

NavyDavy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks eveyone.

More light is what I wanted to hear.

I've been looking at the Malkoff product for some time now.

Probably order it today.

Latest posts