Alright my brain is mush *HELP*

smc

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading these forums for the last couple of weeks, and there is a great amount of superb information. The problem is there is almost too much.

Here's the question...

I'm looking for a light that's hopefully under $50. It's going to be used for fishing at night so I don't want to spend too much in case I lose it.

Criteria
- 200 + lumens
- protected 18650
- good combination of throw and spill
- 1.5 hour + runtime on high
- multi mode hi-med-low (variable and strobe would be a plus to play with)
- clip or holster
- fits in a jean/vest pocket (i.e. not too long or thick)

If possible - forward click and some colour other than black. I ordered a black 1W UV light that takes the 18650 so another colour would help me differentiate.

Should I get a cheap host and a cree drop in, or a pre-packaged light? I like the Fenix T lights but I'm not sure I want to spend that much, and only the TK11 uses the 18650. The Tiablo A9 might be a bit wide for a pocket, and everyone seems to be selling theirs???

Am I asking too much LOL?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
well.. In my experience Huntlight makes some great products..
Check out http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2491

Right in your price range, takes 18650 and CR123, multi-mode/strobe/sos.. It's sorta kinda bulky but has a clip (which you can't see in that picture)..Also, you can still get after market drop-ins too, since I believe it takes a general "P60" style LA. I used to pocket carry one around a lot but moved on to smaller single-cell torches.

There are other options, but I recommend the Huntlight FT-01x.

Oh, and welcome to CPF.

EDIT: I just noticed that you want 200+lm... The huntlight is 150lm max...Sorry.

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
I would also suggest taking a look at the Deree CL1H.
Yes, at $85, it's a little outside your price range, but it's a very well made light with a great UI (I suggest the 3SD module).
Just drop in one of your 18650's and you're good to go.

I know you want to keep the price down, but for what the CL1H offers in performance and features, it's cost seems "cheap" to me.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want low price(and a different color), then I'd suggest getting something like this and dropping in a 5 mode drop-in or something like this.

The VB-16 could work too.

None of the above lights hit 200 lumen out the front but they should be enough for the task.

What lights do you use right now?

Some how I don't think you'll need 200 lumen that often for fishing.

:welcome:

smc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone! That SKU 11074 module looks to be a pretty good deal according to light-reviews.com. Great output and regulation.

I ordered that and this host..http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3371

I realize I asked for non black but now i'm thinking of powder coating it with glow paint so I can see it if I drop it. I wanted the extra output for seeing underwater rocks on the shoreline of Lake Ontario when landing 30lb chinook salmon, but I didn't want to carry a big light.

Next up is modding my old Mag so I can **** the people across the river-mouth off LOL :devil:

VolumeRate

Newly Enlightened
when you say fishing, reminds me something, i have a friend, whose father loves fishing, (or typically fishing at night), he has a custom made battery charger, which can charge dozens batteries together, and that's made of wood.

hehe.

when i was a child.. i felt awesome by that.