Fenix P3D RB 100 - Will it work with 1x17670?

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read quite a bit on this, but nothing definitive about using a 17670 with the Fenix P3D RB 100. I'm confident from what I've read that this light will work fine with 2xRCR123 3.7 li-ions, but will this light work ok with 1x17670 3.7v li-ion? This would be much preferred if there are no major drawbacks. I still want to be able to use the turbo mode as well.

Thanks for your help in advance!

-Rich

redsfairlane

Newly Enlightened
Basicly no, I have a P3D-Q5 that I have tried a 17670 in low and med were ok, but the high was hardly any different than med and there was no turbo.
Hope more chime in too, would like to know if someone did have success.
Hope that helps.

eprom

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Rebel 100 has lower Vf than Q5 so it may work better. But it will not be regulated light. When the voltage goes under Vf + Circuit loos it will give a direct drive, so you will see a discharge graph of Li-Ion until end. IMO

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like said, it will depend on the Vf how long it runs on turbo before the low voltage warning come on. These are all P3Ds I'm speaking of; The RB100 I have will run 23 min. on turbo before the warning. My Q5 will not even start up in turbo without the warning, but I have a Q2 that will run for 48 min. Must have a really low Vf on that one. :eek:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks much guys. I'm glad I didn't waste the money on one of these batteries then.

-Rich

Marduke

Flashaholic
A lot of us have been asking Fenix for a P3D capable of using a 18650 for a while now. There was some speculation before the TK11 came out that that's what Fenix was releasing. With any luck, they still will some time this year.

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
I tried that with my P3D R100 ... it works partially ;). I got about 25 min continuous runtime on turbo until the low battery warning kicked in (flashing). It was pretty bright when running on turbo, maybe a bit lower than usual, but if you switch modes or turn it off meanwhile, the flashing will start much earlier ... so basically this setup is quite useless, because you can never use the full capacity of the 17670.

Buy some nice RCR123A from AW and enjoy the great light ... the P3D R100 is still my no.1 EDC ;)

cat

Enlightened
Buy some nice RCR123A from AW and enjoy the great light ... the P3D R100 is still my no.1 EDC ;)

+1

I don't buy any more small lights because I can't see anything that would do better than the P3D RB100. I like the size, and it is brighter than the P2D, and I like the Rebel rather than Crees. I don't need the 18650, I'm happy with the runtime of the CR123A's and I've got AW RCR123's I can use. I'd just like to lose the strobe and SOS. And maybe have it come on in bright rather than low.

Marduke

Flashaholic
+1

I don't buy any more small lights because I can't see anything that would do better than the P3D RB100. I like the size, and it is brighter than the P2D, and I like the Rebel rather than Crees. I don't need the 18650, I'm happy with the runtime of the CR123A's and I've got AW RCR123's I can use. I'd just like to lose the strobe and SOS. And maybe have it come on in bright rather than low.

You know if you tighten the head it comes on in turbo as the first mode, right?

big beam

Enlightened
What would happen if you use a SSC with a low Vf.PP has some stars @ 3-3.25 and I think they're VO or WO tint.Can you use the same reflector?I would like to build a P3D that would work on 17670's(all modes).I just bought a 18650 from shiningbeam and they're a little too big to EDC.
DON

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would have to use an emitter, star's to big. All the Fenix Cree reflectors are the same, P and L models. I tried a Seoul in a P1D and it produced a crappy beam. I did put a Seoul in a P1 and it worked good. So you would have to find a P1 to get a reflector from or modify another reflector to fit. All protected 17670 cells might not fit, the tubes are different IDs. Unprotected cells fit good.

The L-mini is 2mm shorter than a P3D and 1mm thicker, why too big to carry. :thinking: