Bought me a Green Laser Pointer, Good or bad?

Flow

Newly Enlightened
67.4mW... Class IIIa is 5mW or less. I think this is still well within IIIb though. They use these for lightshows at concerts and such, try not to point it at a passenger jet.

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
How can this thing put out 67.4mW when the input power is ONLY 1.42mW?? (0.443mA * 3.212V = 1.42mW)

Flow

Newly Enlightened
I hadn't looked down, lol. Yeah, a couple AAA's does seem a little odd. "These units eat batteries up, make sure to have plenty of AAA alkaline batteries on hand." -- I'll bet. I figured this would be plugged into the wall. And "When someone says, ["]our lasers go 10,000 feet"", that generally means you'll be able to see the spot it produces at 10k feet. With a nice scope, but still.
After reading the rest, it sounds a lot like they just tweaked a 'normal' green laser, and are betting you don't have a "Coherent Lab Master Laser Power Meter".
For $450, I'd have it measured. Mabey at a local college or something. If it checks out, that's a hella nice laser/cigarette lighter. Still mabey few mins on batteries though.

star882

Enlightened
"How can this thing put out 67.4mW when the input power is ONLY 1.42mW?? (0.443mA * 3.212V = 1.42mW) "
I think they made a typo, the input current is supposed to be 0.443A.

steinie

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of the 10mW green lasers from Space Coast. Came on time, he answered my Email questions, and it works as advertised. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Way brighter than my other standard 5mW green laser. My 5mW only runs a couple hours on a set of batteries, so didn't want to go too high for that reason. Didn't see the need for the 15,20, or higher rating units given the battery life.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
star882 said:
"How can this thing put out 67.4mW when the input power is ONLY 1.42mW?? (0.443mA * 3.212V = 1.42mW) "
I think they made a typo, the input current is supposed to be 0.443A.

[/ QUOTE ]
yea i think its 443mA or .443A.

[ QUOTE ]
Flow said:
After reading the rest, it sounds a lot like they just tweaked a 'normal' green laser, and are betting you don't have a "Coherent Lab Master Laser Power Meter".
For $450, I'd have it measured. Mabey at a local college or something. If it checks out, that's a hella nice laser/cigarette lighter. Still mabey few mins on batteries though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was planing on bringing this up to columbia university and have my friend as some professors or friends to check it out.

Flow

Newly Enlightened
Cool, let us know. steinie seems to have had good luck with them. Might be worth checking out once I get my flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John John

Newly Enlightened
I will have to look into getting a greenie at spacecoast. Any hard specs on how long the batteries will last with the different lasers? I use 2000mah NimH MAHA's. Also, any idea for comparison what the visable difference between the 5, 10 and 15mw is? Should I expect the higher up the lesser the unit life? Lower quality?

Thx,
John

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie, I just ordered the $330+ light from them. I'll have to see how well it does when it gets here. I've got an Emerald Flash greenie that's supposed to be at 15mw, and it's definately bright. Bright enough to see the laser stretch into the sky a night...

ufokillerz

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FalconFX said:
UFO, did you buy the 5mw one or the +15mw one? ($160 one or $340 one)...

[/ QUOTE ]
my apologies, i mean the laser i got from spacecoastelectronics.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've got a 5mw version, you'll barely see the laser if you point it into the night sky.

I bought this guy a week ago:
http://www.z-bolt.bigstep.com/generic33.html

It's not 15mw, but it's bright enough that you can actually see the laser. If megalaser.com's 15mw+ guys are any indication, I'd be able to start my own light show with what I've ordered.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh? Hmm... For some odd reason, that doesn't sound right... Hmm.. Hmm.. Hmm..
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If it's 60mw+, you ought to see enough laser to probably burn your hands on it...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

ufokillerz

Enlightened
maybe its dusty indoors here, but i'll check it out again in several days, i'm having 2 hepa filters cleaning the place out, i'd rather not use it outside yet. but yea i think somethings not right for it to be a 60mW laser.