Little and large - all finished.

Ganp

Enlightened
Two unfinished battery tubes from current projects. I hadn't looked at them together
before, and I was struck at the difference in size.
I shouldn't have been. They are the largest and the smallest battery tubes I have
made so far. :duh2:

Littleandlarge_IMG_1864-1.jpg

One is for a fellow flashaholic, and the other is for my grand daughter.
No prizes for guessing which is which. :whistle:

EDIT

Large is finished.:grin2:

IMG_1982copy.jpg

This one is SF M3 head fitting. It's hard anodised 6082 alloy and is sized for a single AW C cell.

Little will follow shortly.

EDIT

And here it is :D

Hearts_body.jpg

This is a CR2 twistie. The brass is etched and patinated, and the bare brass has a brushed
finish so that it stays 'whiter' looking.
It has an Aleph/E compatible head housing an LOP 18mm reflector and a Cree R2/Flupic
light engine. To prevent the light staying on constantly, the main spring is isolated from
the battery, and a secondary spring makes contact when the body is screwed in enough.

Thanks for looking,
Colin.​

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Little and large.

The one with the hearts is for the flashaholic. The huge one is for your granddaughter.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the Frankengriffin tube on the left, Colin
and great finishing on the right tube.

:thumbsup:

Can you say a little more about those projects, my curiosity is peaked now.

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
sign me up for a FRANKENGRIFFIN!!

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast

hmmm......Colin, could that tube on the left possibly be for a new host by any chance? If not named here is an idea, Phoenix (P7). If I am right about the host please put me down for it right now!

Carl

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are those M-series threads on the larger one?

Both look Amazing!
Good Work!

Ganp

Enlightened

LukeA ... :twothumbs But you still don't get a prize. :p

DaFABRICATA ... Spot on.:thumbsup:

olrac and griff ... thanks for the kind words. :)

However, the large body is made for someone's personal project. They requested a 1xC Griffin-esque body and tail to fit a comparatively large SF head. It will be more Griffin-esque when it is finished.
After seeing my initial illustrations they described it as looking like a Pitt Bull, and I think that would be a good name for it.:crazy:

I like the idea of Pheonix (P7) for something else though.:thumbsup:

Colin.

Last edited:

84Maroon

Banned

The Griffin design is one of the nicest in quite a while, I just love it. I would definitely take a P7 version....:wave:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the idea of Pheonix (P7) for something else though.:thumbsup:

Colin.

Colin,
my Paypal finger is getting twichy and ichy, say the word and Phoenix Pfunds are on the way!

Carl

A C sized Li-Ion P7 would be one spectacular torch

Last edited:

high-side

Newly Enlightened

Frankengriffin.... I like that. :laughing: :cool:
Colin, it looks as though your granddaughter's lil' light may get sucked into Frankengriffen's gravitational pull!:eek:
Their both stunning!:thumbsup:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Colin, great work.

The small one looks very nice, how do you come up with these ideas?

What a fantastic gift - Your granddaughter is a lucky girl. Please ask here to let you post some pics of the completed light.

cheers

ICUDoc

Enlightened

Looks great Colin. Have you ever made a thread about how to anodise? I ask because I would love to turn out tubes as nice as the large one in the photo...

Last edited:

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks great Colin. Have you ever made a thread about how to anodise? I ask because I would love to turn out tubes as nice as the large one in the photo...

IIRC he has a plater do the anodizing for him.

Ganp

Enlightened

Have you ever made a thread about how to anodise? I ask because I would love to turn out tubes as nice as the large one in the photo...

ICUDoc ... Mirage_Man is right - I use a pro' anodising shop. I would love to be able to do it myself, but I don't have the knowledge or skills, and even if I did I would not build a home set-up since it could be a recipe for disaster with young grandchildren about the place.:sick2:

One thing I am sure of though, is that once you have found a good anodising shop, if things do go wrong, it's probably down to you - type/grade of alloy or preparation. This is the anodisers I use, and I am very happy with their work and value their guidance. I'm still making mistakes though. :mecry:

Now when I get new alloy stock I turn a test piece and have it hard anodised to check the colour. But I'm still learning and from now on, I will have a piece dyed too .... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201703

The large tube and tail pictured in this thread are turned from 6082 alloy. The colour is not quite as olive as the M3 head. It's a little more grey, but the density matches pretty well and I'm very pleased with the overall compatibility. Hopefully its new owner will be too.

Colin.