Why LED torch flickers with RCR123?

cykoed

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I bought the following LED torch and some rechargeable CR123 batteries
[http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13338]. Silly me...I didnt read correctly that the torch only specified CR123A batteries and did not include rechargeables
- Model: Smart-Fire A-1
- Features a Cree XR-E P4 LED emitter
- Powered by 2 x 3.0V/3.6V CR123A batteries

- 150 lumens max (manufacturer rated)
- Single-mode clicky tailcap switch
- Glass lens with textured/OP aluminum reflector

The torch flickers continously on the RCRs but works fine with primaries.
Question1: Why does it flicker with RCRs?
Question1: What can I do to prevent it flickering on RCRs?

Rechargeable batteries that I bought

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, when you purchase cheap lights from DX (I have bought a few myself) you run the risk of having problems like this. Not sure why it is flickering, probably something wrong with the circuit. You could try sending it back to DX for a replacement.

Also make sure all the contact points in the light are clean.

cykoed

Newly Enlightened
Wonder why it flickers with RCR but not with primaries?

Well, I'm waiting for a replacement bulb for by SF E2E on which to test the RCRs in case the batteries are the problem.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder why it flickers with RCR but not with primaries?

Well, I'm waiting for a replacement bulb for by SF E2E on which to test the RCRs in case the batteries are the problem.

Don't try original SF E2E bulb on RCR123 they will blow.

cykoed

Newly Enlightened
koala, unfortunatley i found out the hard way and blew the SF bulb :(

getting a replacement bulb from lumensfactory...waiting for it to arrive. they advised me that their bulbs are ok to run on rcrs.

richdsu

Newly Enlightened
IMO the circuit board is faulty.
When you use RCR battery, it has higher voltage and it will generate more heat than CR123A ( depending on the circuit - buck probable) during regulation.

If the components on th circuit board is not properly soldered, and if there is hairline solder cracks, when heated up the circuit will perform erratically.

Another cause may be faulty component not able to perform properly when it is heated up.
:popcorn:

AvidHiker

Enlightened
IIRC, its not unusual for some drivers to flicker when fed voltage exceeding their normal operating range (like the ~4.2v from a fully charged 3.6v RCR-123A). In some cases, the flickering will stop once the cell has discharged a bit.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The higher voltage of the 3.7V (typically 4.2V fresh off the charger) RCR123A cells most likely exceeds the voltage range of the LED driver board. When that happens, flickering or strobing is a common result.

You can stick with Li primaries, go with 3.0V rechargeables (but have to accept drastically lower mAh capacity vs. 3.7V cells), find a different drop-in lamp that can be driven by two RCR123As, find a different driver board that works with two RCR123As, or get rid of the flashlight and find another one.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for Justin Case's explanation. Its just outside of its (the driver circuit) voltage regulation range with the RCR batteries. I have the same problem with the Solarforce R2 multi mode pill on the lower modes. If I use good freshly charged RCR's the light doesn't flicker in high mode because the current draw pulls the voltage down just enough, but in medium mode and low mode it flickers and I can hear it. At the lower current draws the voltge goes back up and its just at the margin of the regulation range so it flickers and makes audible humming modulation sounds. Goes away every time with lower voltage batteries.

bessiebenny

Enlightened
The specs clearly say it supports both 3v and 3.6v CR's. So that includes RCRs.
I highly doubt it has anything to do with voltage.

It should most likely be due to the length difference of the batteries.
Most protected RCRs are quite a bit longer than primaries in length.
So the contacts may be affected. (Spring gets too condensed ot threads don't close as tight)

eg. Many lights including various FENIX lights have issues with protected RCRs.

btw. Ultrafire RCRs should be shorter in length than Trustfires.
Try the Solarforce (ebay) or KD Protected blue RCRs. (kaidomain)
These are shorter and have been showing very nice performances.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
3.6V is the max open circuit voltage for Li primary cells. Under load, however, the voltage is typically less, say 3V and under. With Li secondaries, the voltage under load is around 3.6V-3.7V. Hence, the voltage range of the driver is probably exceeded when using Li secondaries, resulting in flicker.

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Yes. Of course I know that they can be as high as 3.6v.
(Although Panasonic's are 3.0v exactly and most are only ~3.3v)

But. When it says 3.0v and 3.6v CR's in the specs, to me, it 100% supports RCRs. (RCR's are 3.6v but charged up to 4.2v)
By the way, it clearly says it supports rechargeables on the back of the packaging so no need to guess. =)

Also. Many other lights say 3.0v to 3.6v CRs when it supports RCRs such as:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14068