Found some old batterys.

SilentK

Enlightened
i have some old 17670 batterys hooked together from an old laptop battery {2002}. i would like to add them to my cheap rechargable spotlight. the numbers match up and it works fine with the bulb and is over driving it a bit, but works fine. upun putting them in the light, i was stopped in my tracks remembering something about li-ons exploding and catching on fire. uh-oh. these are from a laptop and do have some kind of circuit board attached on the battery. so what i would like to know is if this is safe when charged under supervision. the spotlight has some kind of thing that puts the light in a float mode when the battery is charged. some pics to help you out.

DSC01492.jpg

DSC01493.jpg

Note: one cell was ripped off, the cell only, no resistors or circuit boards just a plain cell. voltage still reads the same from when attached.

Thanks
Kyle

Last edited:

SilentK

Enlightened
Looks like there are a couple of diodes and fuses but i cannot see the protection PCB, if its gone then there is no active protection

So it is not safe to use? i would think that the built in circuit in the light would auto shut-off the charger. there was no additional protection on the laptop battery shell, so it would have to be protection on there in order to keep the laptop from catching on fire or exploding right? And i thought i would stop learning technacal stuff when i got out of college...:grin2:

Just found on mnfg. site

Notice to readers:
In order to ensure the use of properly designed safety circuits with Lithium ion battery packs, Panasonic Lithium ion cells are not sold as "off the shelf" products and are not available as a standard product from distributors. Lithium ion cells, however can be assembled into packs by authorized pack assembly centers that have been approved for safety circuit assembly and Lithium ion pack design. a simple inqury reavals the laptop mnfg. is certified.:party:

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
I'm certainly no expert here but does there appear to be a balancing circuit and wires/connections included? If not, unbalanced Li-ion cells can give significant problems.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm reading this right you want to charge that LiIon pack using the spotlight's built-in charger, right?

If that's the case, the result is likely to be entertainingly pyrotechnic. Be sure to have a fire extinguisher nearby. :p

Cheap spotlights almost always run from, and charge, a 12V SLA brick whose charging algorithm is incompatible with LiIon.