CMG Infinity Ultra - Any problems?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wondering generally how owners of the CMG Infinity Ultra feel about them.

Has anyone gotten a bad one?
Intermittent operation?
"Switching on" problems?
Have you ever been left in the dark by it?
Is their customer service good?

Also, If you have an Ultra-G What do you think of it?
Has anyone noticed a difference in runtime between the Ultra and Ultra-G, like Brock did?
Brock's comments on the Ultra-G

Do they work well with NiMH?

Come on guys, if you've got bad news, tell me now, before I get one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Check this out too: CMG Sonic, AAA version

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CMG Infinity Ultra - Your experience?

Top marks from me.

I was so impressed with my Ultra, I bought a couple of Ultra-Gs (couldn't pass up the $15 deal.

NiMH works just fine, although you sure get your money's worth from alkalines. I carry the Arc AAA since I have both and it is smaller, but can easily recommend the CMG. I had a chance to talk to their Customer Service (Chris?) on another topic (ordering Reactor seconds) and discussed the difference between the two new ones (G's) and their 'target' patterns. She offered to exchange them (rather just the heads so I could keep the HA body), which I declined. I had thought they might be seconds as well (not the case), just the way those LEDs are. Easily worth the $15, not worth the postage back for exchange, IMO.

Go for it, you won't be sorry.

Cheers,

Doug Owen

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have both an Infinity and an Ultra. Never had a problem with either one. I love the Ultra, but if I need runtime over brightness, I would go with the regular and a Lithium AA (brighter and longer runtime over Alkaline).

There is no brightness difference in the Ultra between Alky and Lithium.

I decided to go with the Ultra over the ultra-G, due to the former comes with 'pocket' clip, which I use as a ballcap brim clip, for impromptu headlamp usage.

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened

I have only had mine for a couple of weeks, and am still new to LED flashlights. So far I have been mighty impressed with it. Until I got this I thought I was doing well toting my mag solitaire around. I have been using this CMG since day one, most times just looking for an excuse to use it. I have not noticed any decline in brightness at all, although even with all my use it probably has less than 2 hours on the battery.

One of my worries was if somebody borrowed it and screwed the head all the way down with a battery in it. I asked here on this forum about it, and one of the kind forumites risked his light by doing that very thing. He noticed no ill effects and it should not be a problem.

In my opinion you will definately be happy getting one. For what its worth I ordered mine from darkgear.com and had very helpful and prompt service.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

yup
You would not go wrong with the Ultra. I remember seeing one post that said that the newer Ultra only type2 HA while the UltraG is type3. I might be wrong but i guess that is why the newer ultra has a more stylish look at it even though the color are basicly the same with UltraG, green. With Ultra, you got clip and lanyard but you only got type2 HA. With UltraG, you got Lanyard ( i think) and Type3 HA but with no clips.
Either way, you can't go wrong if you choose this little light.

StuU

Enlightened

I have 3 Infinities....2 white and 1 bluegreen. They have been around for 2-3 years. The whites are backup lights that I carry EDC. The bluegreen has been in daily operation for nearly 2 years and is going strong with lithium battery. I really like them.

Raven

Enlightened

I own an Ultra.

It's my only LED (been waiting months for the new SL 3c 10 LED - argh), and I bought it from BG. I could have found a better price, but I like BG's service, so I spent more than I should.

If you want one, I'd wait and get it when you order some other lights. That way you won't be paying S+H just for the Ultra alone.

It's a very handy light, but imho not bright enough for urban applications, like walking through a semi dark parking lot at night. I use mine for various task around my home, and it's great for that. I put a battery in mine 3 months ago, and after daily use, it still works fine.

My only complaint is that it will scratch easily, unless you are extra extra careful with it. How easily will it scratch? It would probably get scratched just by being downwind of a keychain.

Raven

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

I have an Ultra that I use as my primary EDC. I do live in the country where light polution isn't an issue (though the moon can be bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). Now i have my year old Arc LE on my neck.
The last week or so my Ultra has been flickering, now it is dead. Tried different batteries, a different body, different head. The head on my Ultra is dead.
I'll report here about my dealings with CMG customer service.
**I forgot to mention I would and probably will buy another/more Ultras, For simplicity my favorite light**

MDM

Newly Enlightened

I own the Infinity and the Ultra G. I would definitely recommend the Ultra or Ultra G. The regular Infinity is too dim for my purposes. This is the ultimate survival mini-torch, since it is reasonably bright and can accept a lithium AA.

You might also want to consider CMG's new AAA version which according to the members of this forum is due out in June (I believe). Supposed to be just like the Infinity, but smaller. Has regulation just like Ultra, lasts for 12 hours on one battery (it should square off with the ARC AAA, which is also a very good and compact light).

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have both the plain Ultra and the Ultra-G, like both, but prefer the Ultra-G.

Here's my comparison:
CMG Ultra-G vs. Ultra
but please bear in mind (as someone was at pains to point out) that this is a comparison of a sample of ONE.

I like the Ultra or Ultra-G over the ArcAAA (or LE) because its size - as the Ultra-G is a better and more comfortable size for the hand for use as a regular flashlight over a period of time - and it is actually easier to locate in the pocket.

It s definitely larger and less comfortable as a keyring carry than the ArcAAA - but then the ArcAAA is much larger and less convenient than either a Photon or Inova Microlight on the keyring........

I believe the Ultra-G is to the plain Ultra - like the ArcAAA LE is to the plain ArcAAA - in that the Ultra-G boasts -

US Government issue # NSN: 6230-01503-9513
and
QUOTE:
These LEDs are hand picked for brightness and smooth, even illumination.
Housing is O.D. with TYPE III HARD ANODIZING and engraved "U.S. Government". This finish is not available on civilian models due to the added expense it would require
UNQUOTE

Even better -
the ArcAAA LE costs substantially more than the plain ArcAAA -
but the plain Ultra is cheaper than the plain ArcAAA
and in turn the Ultra-G is actually cheaper than the plain Ultra.

Look at this recent thread:
Favorite single AA flashlight?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of the many things I like about the Ultra is that it fits in a MiniM*G holster. I put a large keyring in the lanyard hole and use that to keep it from falling in and to pull it out.

Other than the size I doubt you'll find many negatives about this light.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, no one has experienced arc-type problems with the light not turning on with repeated attempts, or flickering? arc-type problems

I read all the links you guys posted here. Everyone seems pleased with the Infinity Ultra. Only one report of mechanical or elecrical/electronic problems.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

No problems with my Ultras and G's. It is harder to turn the light on using the Ultra. I believe problem is Ultra is Ha II, which has a thicker surface than the HA III Ultra G. The threads are anodized also on both Ultra and G.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

None of my Infinities, Ultra-G or otherwise has Ha on the threads... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif up to, but not on the threads. My original Infinities are easier to turn, but I think 'cuz they've been "broken in" over the past few years.

-Jason

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

My infinity are much harder to turn than my Ultra. that is why i love my ultra so much: very useful beam and easy to turn. Also, i never experienced any flickering problem with either my Ultra or my Infinity. The light always turn on whenever i turn it on.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like I might be getting one. (b/s/t) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Get one or several, you'll enjoy them. I have an Infinity and an Infinity Ultra and they are both great. I haven't acquired an Ultra-G yet, so I can't comment on the durability of it's finish, but the anodizing on the other models will scuff and scratch of you use the pocket clip often, dangle them on your keyring or drop them in your pocket along with keys, coins and other objects, however, they're built tough and are very functional. Besides, scratches add character.

The regular Infinity is dim, so it's used as my "night light" when I have to get up in the middle of the night or something, and the Infinity Ultra is the one I carry daily around my neck (Arc AAA is on my keyring). I've also bought several to give away as gifts and everyone seems to love them. I'd like to state that CMG's customer service is second to none. If there is ever a problem with your light, they will fix or replace it without question. I recommend them highly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

D.J.-Wolf

Newly Enlightened

I have had an Ultra for a couple of months and I have found it compliments my Arc AAA, taking over the main lighting tasks saving the AAA for backup duties.

The only thing that bugged me was the battery rattle, I guess because of the foam retainer the AAA uses spoiled me.

I went to the medicial/foot isle of wallmart, bought the Small round corn pads (pack of 9) and placed one on the head of my Ultra. Problem solved.

Get an Ultra. You'll be glad you did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif