Not been on as often

BVH

Flashaholic
I literally woke up then sat up about 8 weeks ago in bed with excruciating lower back pain. I've never has any back issues what-so-ever. Did the Chiropractor thing for 8 visits, with deteriorating results. Got an X-ray, nothing. Got an MRI which showed two bulging disks btw L3 & L5. Advice was to build up my core muscles to better support my back. At this time, i could stand and walk slowly about as much as I wanted with pain at grade 2 or so and I could lay down with no pain. Sitting was limited to about 5 minutes and transition to standing was murder. After 4 therapy sessions, back began to get worse. I could no longer stand and walk without level 5-8 pain. Finally got an Epidural yesterday and am about 10 - 15% better, which is a good sign. Dr. said if it was going to work, I'd start to feel some relief maybe in 3-7 days but most likely nothing before then. Long story short, hopefully the next shot in 12 days will give me some long-term relief - up to 18 months while I build my core muscles and stop lifting things improperly which, I'm sure has finally caught up me after all these years.

The point of this? I really missed not being able to sit for long periods of time and catch up on CPF. In the beginning, I'd be standing at the PC for 15 or 20 minutes because I was so desperate to keep up.

This really is a GREAT place with great people!

Aluminous

Enlightened
I really missed not being able to sit for long periods of time and catch up on CPF. In the beginning, I'd be standing at the PC for 15 or 20 minutes because I was so desperate to keep up.

If you can afford it, you might consider looking into the small treadmills that are compatible with desk/computer use (for long periods of time, I find it easier on my feet to be walking than standing still).

Another option that might or might not be more comfortable than normal sitting is nontraditional chairs (I've seen some that have kneeling-type positions but without putting weight on the knees, and I think there's a few other varieties that I don't recall offhand).

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
:sick2:
Sounds like it jumped up from nowhere and hit you like a ton of bricks.

I agree at times CPF is an addiction. I am curious as to whether the chiropractor you went to just did the standard back popping and heat or if he started you on some exercises immediately.
I hope things improve soon for you. Pain like that is just agonizing, especially when it interferes with the rest of your life.

:wave:

BVH

Flashaholic
Thank you everybody for your well wishes and suggestions. The Epidural has helped considerably. It's one of a series of two or three spaced somewhere btw 10 and 14 days apart. I know it's just a pain blocker and not a fix for the root of the problem but once it's taken full effect, I can work on strengthening my mid section. Keep in mind, I'm 6'2" and 150 lbs skinny so I may look in shape but I'm not. Up until a year ago, I walked in the Avon and Susan G Komen breast cancer walks and 9 out of 10 total days over 4 of the events, I crossed the finish line first, sometimes well ahead/30 minutes of the next person. I would average about 4.7 MPH, non-stop over the 13-mile, 19 mile, 20 mile, 21 mile and 26 mile days. I was in good shape then but then I turned up with a couple torn miniscus and other weak knee issues so stopped walking about a year ago. I think it's all caught up with me.

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow good luck in your recovery!

Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

I work out almost every day. I can't afford not to. Aside from being in great shape now, looking nice at the pool is another nice incentive.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the best BVH,wishing you a speedy recovery, and dont "put your back into it", when pushing around them Arc Lights.

Crenshaw

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Friend, I think I've been there! Back in the 70's I had a two-level Laminectomy- removed the calcified-remnants of two crushed disks from my lower lumbar. I've been "upright" since. Still hurts and sucks!

I'm retiring this year, and it may be sooner than later! I am beyond pissed at my current work environment!

Larry

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just coming off a really bad back pain episode. Get them periodically from an old soft tissue/nerve injury. This one was kicked off by a lengthy road trip.

Since you have some organic problems, this may not be appropriate, so talk to a doc or other pro before you try it.

About ten years ago, during a particularly bad episode - caused by a temporary IQ drop -- unloading railroad ties by myself - the therapist turned me on the the "McKenzie Method" - a system of physical and mental excercies formulated by a Dr. McKenzie that's become very widely used and respected. You can get it, in paperback, from Amazon. It shows up often at HalfPrice Books, etc. Works very well for me.

Good luck. There's not much else that hurts or disables like back pain.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand you pain. I bulged a disc while deadlifting 325 negatives when I was 21. Strengthing your core will only do so much as core development was and always has been a staple of my lifting diet. Dynamically stretch and flex your muscles around L3-L5 in those stretched positions. This will help build the muscles around the area of damage, helping to hold the vertebral column in place as opposed to collapsing on the disc and impinging on a nerve (which is the source of the majority of back pain). Pavel Tsatsouline has an excellent series of books, articles and videos on how to accomplish this. Also, mentally focusing on the area in an attempt to relax it helps tremendously. It takes a bit of practice, but it works.

BVH

Flashaholic
Larry, Go For It! Wife and I just spent our last 60 minutes on payroll July 3rd. We're DONE! Doesn't feel any different yet, though...a holiday on the first day retired now the weekend. Maybe in a few days.

Back is now about 40 to 50% better with 2nd shot this Tuesday. I can sit for sometimes up to 30 minutes.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Beyond awesome Bob and better half that I haven't met! Thumbs-up to you folks while I have to hang-in for a few months!

Larry

BVH

Flashaholic
Hang in there, Larry. When I was T-3 months and counting, everyone told me the time would pass quickly. It did not seem that way to me though until a couple of weeks ago. As I looked back, it flew by. Once you begin off-loading your expertise, and once you know a date/month-certain that you're going to pull the plug, the stress levels are greatly reduced.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back pain is a bummer. I'm only 36 and have been have a recurring pain that keeps me out of work for a few days every so often. The last time was a couple of months ago and so far the doctors haven't been able to diagnose my problem. X-rays showed nothing, but I just had a bone scan done last week and am waiting for the results. The last time, it was hurt while I was playing tennis, which seems very much the cause to the bad effect, but the first time, I laughed (literally, laughed) hard and something pulled in my side, which then spread to my back. By the end of the day, I couldn't move, and the next three days I was stuck in bed--and I mean stuck! The pain was unbearable and getting up to go to the bathroom was hell. The second time, I was carrying a box and turned my head to the side and the turning of my head caused the same thing that happened the first time. The next time, I was merely walking, carrying a vase in one hand (something I did all the time, working at the florist) and for no known reason, something pulled in my side, which then, as always, spread to my back. It is possible that this is all a result of improper lifting of heavy objects, back when I was scavenging recycleables and appliances. According to Depak Chopra, though, the body is constantly renewing itself, so hopefully, mine will renew itself back to it's original condition, although, it seems like aches and pains are become much more plentiful and often, these days. I wish I had some good advice for you, but all I can think of is yoga, which is something I've been meaning to attend, but haven't gotten around to it. I've attended Bikram's Yoga, before, and they tell you that it will completely fix your back. That gives me hope, but I just have to get myself to go, in order to find out.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Hello BVH!

I just came across your thread, I am very sorry to hear about your injury.
I am glad your back is so much better now, and I hope you fully recover soon.

Keep enjoying your awesome lights!:thumbsup:

BVH

Flashaholic
Hi Blue and thank you! When I get back from my trip, I plan to really get into a routine physical fitness program. Lots of long-distance walking and maybe some of that Yoga mentioned above. Being retired, I now have the time to dedicate to it and now, a big incentive!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Hi Blue and thank you! When I get back from my trip, I plan to really get into a routine physical fitness program. Lots of long-distance walking and maybe some of that Yoga mentioned above. Being retired, I now have the time to dedicate to it and now, a big incentive!

Good luck with your fitness program, and have a nice trip.:thumbsup: