Surefire LED lineup

o0o

Enlightened
I haven't been paying close attention to the new generation of Surefire LEDs that use Crees or Seuols.

My LED Surefires are from the previous generation of L2, L4, L5, and U2 which have very nice reflectors and smooth beams.

I have dabbed into the new L1 with the Cree when it first came out, but am not happy with the beam quality. I still use it though, but only for outdoor uses where beam quality isn't as necessary.

I've read that Surefire has released many new LED models, including the "Backup". I'd like to know what they've released, and how many... if any.... are using the older style textured reflector like I am use to. Since most of my use is indoors at close range, I don't need monster throwers with artifact ridden beams. Is there any new Surefire models with upgraded LEDs that are still using the textured reflector, and have a balanced, artifact free beam?

LumenMan

Enlightened
The Surefire E1B definitely doesn't have any rings or artifacts in it's beam. It's an amazing little light ! The 6P LED & Defender LED are very nice lights as well :)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the P60L dropin based stuff, nothing right now. The UB2 will probably be like the LuxV lights though, as it uses a quad die SSC P7 and a textured reflector.
Oh and a diffuser on the all of the current cree/optic based lights works wonders I hear.

o0o

Enlightened
Other than the P60L dropin based stuff, nothing right now. The UB2 will probably be like the LuxV lights though, as it uses a quad die SSC P7 and a textured reflector.
Oh and a diffuser on the all of the current cree/optic based lights works wonders I hear.

The UB2 sounds great. What is it?

A redesigned U2???

If so, I'll be all over it.

jchoo

Enlightened
The UB2 sounds great. What is it?

A redesigned U2???

If so, I'll be all over it.

The UB2 is a 2 cell LED light that has adjustable output up to 400 lumens.

5c994289.jpg

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
I've read that Surefire has released many new LED models, including the "Backup". I'd like to know what they've released, and how many... if any.... are using the older style textured reflector like I am use to. Since most of my use is indoors at close range, I don't need monster throwers with artifact ridden beams. Is there any new Surefire models with upgraded LEDs that are still using the textured reflector, and have a balanced, artifact free beam?

PLEASE put an F04 diffuser on your Cree L1. If your use is indoors, this will re-create the "wall of light" that you are used to and appreciate so much. There will be almost NO hotspot at all, but the light will completely illuminate almost any normal size room on high, and makes the best reading light I own on low. Don't give up on this light! Especially for indoor use where great throw isn't needed, this is one of the best lights I have IMHO. If you need throw outside, just pull the diffuser off.

Just out of curiosity, could you describe the beam artifacts? Mine has a great hotspot for throw, but still has very usable sidespill due to the slight diffuser on the front lens window. Is this not what you are seeing on yours? I have seen other posts with artifact complaints, and I wonder if some bad lights were sent out, or if I am just not sensitive enough to the types of beam irregularities other people are seeing.

Even if you try this and it is the most perfect light you have ever seen, please, for the love of flashlights, continue buying more lights until your bank account runs dry!!

Hope this Helps!:)

o0o

Enlightened
That thing is awesome. What kind of LED is it using that can get 400 lumens? How is the runtime at top setting?

Is there enough heat sink to run at 400 lumens without a steep degradation curve? I've never heard of a single LED that can put out 400 lumens, I must be way behind the times (I think my most powerful Cree is rated at close of 160 lumens)

Is it safe to assume that this new Surefire model will be priced between $500-$1000, given all those features?

o0o

Enlightened
PLEASE put an F04 diffuser on your Cree L1. If your use is indoors, this will re-create the "wall of light" that you are used to and appreciate so much. There will be almost NO hotspot at all, but the light will completely illuminate almost any normal size room on high, and makes the best reading light I own on low. Don't give up on this light! Especially for indoor use where great throw isn't needed, this is one of the best lights I have IMHO. If you need throw outside, just pull the diffuser off.

Just out of curiosity, could you describe the beam artifacts? Mine has a great hotspot for throw, but still has very usable sidespill due to the slight diffuser on the front lens window. Is this not what you are seeing on yours? I have seen other posts with artifact complaints, and I wonder if some bad lights were sent out, or if I am just not sensitive enough to the types of beam irregularities other people are seeing.

Even if you try this and it is the most perfect light you have ever seen, please, for the love of flashlights, continue buying more lights until your bank account runs dry!!

Hope this Helps!:)

I'm very picky about beams, so simple things such as uneven transition from hotspot to corona bug me-- especially for indoor use. My L1 has visible transitions from hot spot to corona, and some dark lines in the corona. Not an issue outside, but definitely bugs me for indoor use. Sorry, I'm not very good at being descriptive, probably a beam shot would be a better way of describing this. I'll see what I can come up with-- my camera isn't great at taking beamshots though.

m16a

Enlightened
That thing is awesome. What kind of LED is it using that can get 400 lumens? How is the runtime at top setting?

Is there enough heat sink to run at 400 lumens without a steep degradation curve? I've never heard of a single LED that can put out 400 lumens, I must be way behind the times (I think my most powerful Cree is rated at close of 160 lumens)

Is it safe to assume that this new Surefire model will be priced between $500-$1000, given all those features?

I can tell you that its going to be a Seoul P7 and that it will sell for around $300, but someone with more technical knowledge will help you with the other questions!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must be way behind the times (I think my most powerful Cree is rated at close of 160 lumens)

Yes, yes you are. ;)
The LED and this light were first revealed at Shot Show this year so we've been oogling them for the past 4+ months.

o0o

Enlightened
I can tell you that its going to be a Seoul P7 and that it will sell for around $300, but someone with more technical knowledge will help you with the other questions!

Is the Seoul up to the same quality standards as Cree or Lumileds?

I thought a while back some Seouls were browning out if driven high?

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
I'm very picky about beams, so simple things such as uneven transition from hotspot to corona bug me-- especially for indoor use. My L1 has visible transitions from hot spot to corona, and some dark lines in the corona. Not an issue outside, but definitely bugs me for indoor use. Sorry, I'm not very good at being descriptive, probably a beam shot would be a better way of describing this. I'll see what I can come up with-- my camera isn't great at taking beamshots though.

OK- I understand. I don't have any problems with the hotspot on mine, but there are some transition rings around the hotspot on it. The F04 completely fixes this, but makes the light a flood only- which I find perfect for around the house use. Give this a try, and I think you will like the L1 much more!

If you have the $, get that new 400 lumen SF model. For me, this is the stuff of dreams only:shakehead!!!!!!