question(help) about Fenix L2D Q5

James Hamon

Newly Enlightened
Hi this is myfirst post here.I just purchased and received a Fenix L2D Q5 and it is great sofar but on strobe and 3/4 of the time on turbo the light hisses.It hisses every time it flashes on strobe and constantly on turbo.Is this normal? If not I can get it replaced by LAPOLICEGEAR.com.
Thanks everybody.

Last edited:

youreacrab

Enlightened
Re: question about Fenix LCD Q5

Not sure what an LCD is (L2D, L1D?) but hissing has been common on the L/P series with reverse polarity protection circuits. Look at the (+)contact on your head for 2 metal contacts on either side of the main (+)contact.

Last edited:

edap617

Newly Enlightened
Re: question about Fenix L2D Q5

I also have a L2D Q5 that I bought from Fenix Store two months ago. I just tested it if it emits hissing sound on turbo and strobe. No sound on all modes. That's all I can share.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: question about Fenix L2D Q5

There have been a few cases of the hissing L2D when in turbo and strobe. It is annoying that this happens but I don't know if it is worth worring about though...

sabre7

Enlightened
I think I would find the noise annoying. I wonder what could be causing it?

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know exactly what that is or if it is harmful, but my L2D Q5 does not hiss and the light is not supposed to. So, if you want to find out exactly what is going on, continue, but I say you already have grounds to request a replacement.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard ticking out of some of my lights/modules, that is the pulsing charge across a capacitor. I have heard batteries hiss. What batteries are you using, how new are they? If you can go to a fresh set of good rechargeables and it changes that will be good to know.

James Hamon

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks for the response guys MrGman ive een using Duracell copper top and energizer it didnt hiss with the energizer but it would not go into turbo it would be the same output as the high mode.I'm going to have it replaced by LaPoliceGear

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I have a hissing sound with my chargers - when the contact wires are not tight to the battery contacts.

Possibly the spring tension of the L2 is to weak with batteries that are a bit shorter than usual?
Try putting a magnet, or some metal disc, between 2nd batt and end cap. That would give more pressure on the spring and thus the batts. Results might be of importance. If the sound stops, it is not in the dirver.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey thanks for the response guys MrGman ive een using Duracell copper top and energizer it didnt hiss with the energizer but it would not go into turbo it would be the same output as the high mode.I'm going to have it replaced by LaPoliceGear
James H, you will get much better performance by using NIMH cells in an L2D as it is not designed to use alkalines.

My L2D makes noises regardless of the battery type or brand so that rules that out as the cause.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine does the same. It's not loud enough to be noticeable during use, so it doesn't bother me.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The alkalines cannot deliver the current that rechargeables do, even brand new name brand batteries are often not that good. The Q5 model in turbo draws quite a bit of current. So there may be nothing wrong with it other then your battery choice. I would get some good 2000mAH rated batteries to try before I send it back.

I am told that AA batteries that claim 2400 to 2600 mAH don't make that claim and are actually no good.

I am using the Rayovac "Hybrid" NiMH rechargeables right now and they appear to work very well. Got them and the charger at a Fry's Electronics for only $20.00 (6 AA's and 2 AAA for that price).

James Hamon

Newly Enlightened
I have tried a few different batteries as suggested Nimh,alkaline but it still hisses but i was wondering does that mean it should be returned.Oh with the nimh the light is alot more powerful than with alkaline batteries thanks for the suggestions guys.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The alkalines cannot deliver the current that rechargeables do, even brand new name brand batteries are often not that good. The Q5 model in turbo draws quite a bit of current. So there may be nothing wrong with it other then your battery choice. I would get some good 2000mAH rated batteries to try before I send it back.

I am told that AA batteries that claim 2400 to 2600 mAH don't make that claim and are actually no good.

I am using the Rayovac "Hybrid" NiMH rechargeables right now and they appear to work very well. Got them and the charger at a Fry's Electronics for only $20.00 (6 AA's and 2 AAA for that price).

The first set of batteries I used for my L2D Q5 was mis matched alkalines I had at around the house. No sounds from my flashlight on any mode. Even with these I was impressed with the light. Maybe the alkalines don't last as long but they seemed ok to me. However I do have rechargables and they are now being used. I agree they work better. Just saying the alkalines will do the job if needed.

James Hamon

Newly Enlightened
I agree the alkaline will do the job but the nimh(rayovac hybrid) are awesome so far.
buttrock.gif

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I agree the alkaline will do the job but the nimh(rayovac hybrid) are awesome so far.
buttrock.gif

Yup. :thumbsup:

Also I don't know if my Fenix L2D Q5 premium has reverse polarity protection circuits. I got the light a few weeks ago from Brightguys. The instuctions warn about reverse polarity but that could be just a standard warning. Some people say the ones with reverse polarity protection circuits make sounds and those older ones without don't but somehow I question this as others claim they make a little sound and some like myself hear nothing or don't know if the light is older or newer. I just tested it again on turbo and strobe. Put the light right against my ear and heard nothing. Heard nothing in the woods on a trip to the AT last week and any little sound is heard at night in camp. I just almost got a stroke from the blinding strobe mode.:sick2:

James Hamon

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I agree it is a kick a$$ flashlight for the money and Mine is the newer model with the reverse polarity that is the common idea is that it was the batteries or the reverse polarity that caused the hissing. thanks for your help.

Last edited: