Defective dropin from DX

pvalopes

Newly Enlightened
hi,

i bought this dropin but i think that is defective

Q5-WC 3-Mode 0~100% LED Drop-In Module (3.7V)

there are 2 problems:

First problem

*The current input is less than 1/3 of advertised.

I tested the max input current from a fresh 18650 battery (measuring 4.10v) but it is not more than 320 mah, it should be around 1200 mah, since description clearly says "- Max Current Output: 1200mA"
it is not problem of the battery because i tested others 18650 and all got the same current
note - I know that the input current is not same than output current since the input current is the current from the battery to the circuit board and the "output current" is the current from the circuit board to the led, but a cree q5 is rated to get 1000 mah at 3.55v, so is impossible gets more than current output than input from a 18650 battery
(i used 2 multimeters to get these results at tailcap)

Second problem

*I can't exit from brightness adjustment mode. (On-the-fly 0~100% Brightness Adjustment).

It's simply impossible to change the group mode, i already tested 3 methods but none worked. I will paste the method and the source here, i spent hours trying to change the modes but no sucess.

" To switch mode: switch off the light for no more than 2 seconds (but no less than 1 sec) and turn it back on."
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11074

"To exit the brightness adjustment mode ~(Group3)

Reset the light to lowest setting and save.
Then turn On to that saved Low mode; in a few seconds it blinks => wait 1 second, tap switch once to go to Group 4."
http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Default.dx/sku.11074~threadid.78966

"Group #3: User-defined brightness setting (ie. 0-100% ramping)
Leave on, after 3 seconds light blinks twice. Switch off for between 1 to 2 seconds of blinks goes to Group #4.
A half-press at any other time in Group #3 ramps up brightness. During ramping sequence, light blinks at 50% and 100% as a reminder.
Switch off for more than 1 second sets brightness level."
http://www.light-reviews.com/dx_sku_11074/review.html

At first i tought that was my mistake but after i read the low current input in my mutimeter, i am almost sure that the drop in is defective.

i already did a replacement request but they answered that

Request Response Required to Proceed from tina
staff.gif
6/27/2008 3:26:50 PM HKT (UTC+8)

Apologies for the inconveniences.

Would you mind refering to the review of this item or post your question on our forum and try to find answer from our other customers?

Thanks a lot.
Thanks a lot.

can you guys post the answers here too? because i dont know if tina will read the answers to confirm the defect out the their own forum
http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Default.dx/sku.11074~threadid.133288

their rma works properly? tell me about the procedures

Sorry for my bad english

Thanks in advance

Paulo

Last edited:

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Re: defective dropin?

You must have received a defective one.
Mine is ridiculously bright, probably over 1200ma and i can access all my modes just fine.
First take it apart and check for shorts somewhere.
If there's no problem there its probably a defective driver.

I'm not sure about the RMA procedure for DX, maybe someone else can help you with that?

pvalopes

Newly Enlightened

yes, the problem is the defective driver, i didn't toke apart before because i don't want lose the "warranty", and probably i will not able to fix the driver
i could change the driver but they dont have another like that to sell, my last hope is the RMA

Gunner12

Flashaholic

The LED you have might have a really high Vf or input voltage.

As for the mode thing, I have no idea.

It could be a broken driver too.

The best advice I can give is to send it back to DX for a replacement.

labrat

Enlightened
I received a defective LED drop-in from DX, never worked but there was electrical continuity in the circuit.
Probably had never been tested before being shipped out from the manufacturer.
I sent an Email to DX, explaining the problem and what measurements and
conclusions I had on the unit.
Immediately received an Email asking if I wanted a refund or a new unit, to which I replied that I wanted a new unit.
Also did message them that I hoped they would test the drop-in before shipping it to me.
Within a week I received a new, fully working new LED drop-in, and with a message I did not have to return the faulty one.
DX have given me also before a very nice customer treatment, so there is no need to fear any problems doing purchases from them.
Send them a message as soon as you have a problem with items from them, and I am sure they will help you!
Be as detailed as possible in your problem description, so as to not make more confusion, that always helps.

Last edited: