I need a replacement for a L4

chefwong

Newly Enlightened
hi flashoholics -

I lost my L4 and need a replacement. Network engineer that crawls around in all the wrong tight places.

Love the size and brightness of the L4.
Is there any others I should be looking/comparing to as a replacement.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider the new (2008 model) Inova T1. It produces a "wall of light," has a runtime of 4 hours or so and is physically shorter than the Surefire L4.

See the thread 2008 Inova T1: The Poor Man's SF L4.

The new T1 gets slightly warm, but not hot, after continuous use. It works well for my nightly walks outside in the dark.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If you like the quality of the Surefire's, then find a KL5 with the Lux V. The latest model KL5 uses a Cree or Seoul LED not sure which. You can use a 17670 for good runtime. There are still KL4's around, nothing beats the KL4 for close up work with plenty of lumens and that nice wide beam that renders colors pretty well. I have both.

Bill

Greg G

Enlightened
Surefire L5 Digital Lumamax with the KL5A head. (Seoul emitter) :naughty:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova T1 is a decent recommendation. The tint on mine is a little too warm (green) for me, but the beam is very floody like the LuxV emitter of the L4.

Even better, IMO, is the AmiLite Neo T5. Better output, and nearly as much runtime as the L4, but on a single CR123A instead of two. Considering how much improvement we've seen in the flashlight market over the past year, I'm amazed at how well the AmiLite continues to hold up.

If you like the L4, and you're using it for close up work, I wouldn't recommend the NiteCore (or any other Cree-based light) unless it has a diffuser.

If you were happy with the L4 and want to stick with Surefire (no reason not too), the obvious suggestion to me is the E2D LED (basically, an L4 with a newer, 2-stage head) , or the the E2L if you want longer runtime at the expense of maximum output. If you're OK with less output and a shorter light (one cell instead of two), the E1L or E1B would probably work as well. With any of these newer E-series Surefires, I'd recommend an F04 beam shaper to smooth out the beam - use it for close-up work and remove it when you want more throw.

Cadster

Newly Enlightened
I was using an L4 for years until I tried the Malkoff M60F.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offense gswitter, but the SF E series lights are as FAR from a L4 as you can get, all throw with little (to NO) spill. Try the Inova T1(2008). My .02 FWIW.

chefwong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm still wading throught the ~terminology~.

In my effort to go green, what are my options. I still have like 2 boxes of the SF batteries in my fridge though.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Amilite T5 is a good suggestion because of the floody beam(similar to the L4) and smaller size.

What kind of beam pattern are you looking for? Output won't be much of a problem.

Dadof6

Enlightened
Buy a novatac. Great light with different levels, perhaps not the exact flood of an L4, but enough surrounding light to be pleasing. You can use all of your old batteries, then buy some rechargeables to stay green later.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
lights that i might EDC or use instead of a L4 would be:

NovaTac EDC 120E (aka 120), 120T, or 120P
HDS Ra Twisty-100-Tw
Inova T1

BTW, i own all three of the above, or all four, if you count the L4 (or all six, if you count the three NovaTacs separately).

prehaps the T1 is the closest match of the lights mentioned (single stage clicky with a pretty nice floody o.p. beam). i haven't compared the T1 and L4 side-by-side however.

the two SSC lights mentioned above have some nice spill in them also, but not exactly like the L4. someone else has already mentioned this fact. i'm just +1-ing it here.

obviously the Ra is a twisty (the other two mentioned above being clickies), and as such has a diff. UI than the L4.

not sure that the L4 has an exact replacement. at least, until SF decides to replace it with a new improved version of the L4 using a newer LED technology.

IMO, main downside to the L4 is the burn-time, especially since there is no second lower o.p. mode in the light. one can burn through cells fast. for this same reason i like the '08 Cree based L5 that i have better than the previous year's 5W Luxeon L5.

but hey, these are just my preferences. YMMV.

sclemin1

Newly Enlightened
You might want to try a headlight. I think in your case you would want both the headlight and a handheld light though.
I just finished cabling a bunch of servers in dimmly lit cabinets using a ZebraLight, model H30-Q5. I was never sold on headlights until I used it this weekend. It was great to have both hands free! You could see more about the light in the review section.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a L1 with F04 diffuser, not as bright as the L4 but you get 2 level with the low being useful for most uses. With the F04, you get a perfect wall of light for close range use. The brightest level is not as bright as the L4 but I usually find it more than bright enough. I also prefer this switching system (2 stage twisty) for a 2 levels light.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Like I said in an earlier post. Buy another L4, or KL4 and a two cell E series body. Nothing can replace the KL4 and be like the KL4. I notice that Surefire still carries the KL4.

Bill

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I find the pocket-carry clip on my SF L4 to be very useful. If that's true in your case as well, forget about the 2008 Inova T1; just buy another L4.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry gswitter, but many people (those who use their lights for work, not just "play) do not find having to get an F04 (beam shaper) to "add" to a (+) $125 flashlight as acceptable.

Many people prefer a "work" light that has at least some spill, not all hotspot. The F04 is easily lost when using a flashlight as a "work" light (not a "play" light) thus making it unusable. My .02 FWIW YMMV

Latest posts