Advise needed for a 3 x AAA light - 3 choices left

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Hi gurus,

I have narrowed down to 3 light using 3 x AAA batteries. What is important to me it its throw and battery runtime, brightness i guess they will all be bright because of the 3 x AAAs. I need advises from people who may have used or knowledge of these lights which will be best buy for throw and runtime out of these 3 lights:

Romisen RC-K4
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5379

People's Cree Q2 150-Lumen
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13442

Romisen RC-W4
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10712

:D

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
why 3xAAA? Those lights that are powered by 3xAAA are not very efficient and don't last on brightness as long...

Go for a CR123 or AA form factor instead...

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
can i just ask why you want a torch with 3 batteries in it? you will always have a spare if you buy 2 4 or 8 packs of batteries

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually try to avoid 3xAAA lights as they are generally direct driven. I doubt that the Peoples Cree is 150 lumen as it says.

To be honest a 2xAA or cr123a light may be more usefull and with better runtime that is regulated.
The Romisen RC-N3 is a great light IMHO and available from DX.

Sorry if I went off in a tangent there, I don't have experience with any of those three lights but I just think there are better options out there.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
none of them is worth more than 1/2 a second of Your brain to think about them.

I'd say: raise Your budget and get a Fenix L2D-CE Q5.
When getting such crap than linked, You will end up with a Fenix (or one of its very few, very similar competitors) within short time.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
why 3xAAA? Those lights that are powered by 3xAAA are not very efficient and don't last on brightness as long...

Go for a CR123 or AA form factor instead...

i thought perhaps more batteries = more runtime? no? i was actually looking for a 2 x AA but find all those quite long. Basically I want it to be able to give me maybe 2hrs on its brightest, 5hrs on medium if there are multiple modes, or 5hrs up on a 1 mode type. 1 x AA is fine but I want something that has a much better throw than LF2X at its full (i have 1) and the 2-5hrs runtime. I looked at Fenix L1D but think the brightness dims before it reaches my ideal runtime so its out i guess.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
all those 3 AAA will give You:
5 mins very bright
10 mins havily reducing output
20 mins even more dim, but reduction of output lowers.

If they featured a circuit (like a Fenix has!) that keeps the output STABLE, 3 AAA could give 40-45 mins full power to a led.
simply unadequate
... but one of the lights You linked also can be run on an 18650 Li-Ion, that is the perfect cell atm for long runtime + bright light (if the driver is ok)

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought perhaps more batteries = more runtime? no? i was actually looking for a 2 x AA but find all those quite long. Basically I want it to be able to give me maybe 2hrs on its brightest, 5hrs on medium if there are multiple modes, or 5hrs up on a 1 mode type. 1 x AA is fine but I want something that has a much better throw than LF2X at its full (i have 1) and the 2-5hrs runtime. I looked at Fenix L1D but think the brightness dims before it reaches my ideal runtime so its out i guess.
The L1D is probably the leader in terms of runtime / efficiency in its class right now. Far more efficient and useful than any 3AAA light. If run time is that important to you, carry a spare AA battery and your problem is solved.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
is the fenix L1D runtimes based on alkalines or NiMH? Does the brightness remain constant (eg the fenix-store.com stated 2hr on high means whole 2 hrs using eg alkaline it will run at constant 107lumens without dimming?)? and how far can it throw (more than 100m?)?

i'd got a LF2X but it sucks power out of the cell too fast, so i am thinking of another light to replace it.

HKJ

Flashaholic
is the fenix L1D runtimes based on alkalines or NiMH? Does the brightness remain constant (eg the fenix-store.com stated 2hr on high means whole 2 hrs using eg alkaline it will run at constant 107lumens without dimming?)? and how far can it throw (more than 100m?)?

i'd got a LF2X but it sucks power out of the cell too fast, so i am thinking of another light to replace it.

LF2X is AAA, these batteries has about 1/3 the power of AA, any good AA flashlight will have about 3 times the runtime at same output level.

The L1D as constant brightness, if the battery can keep up. Alkaline can not, use NiMH.

Marduke

Flashaholic
First of all, STAY AWAY from 3xAAA lights. They are the absolute worst power option out there. They have horrible runtime, and usually absolute no regulation.

Also, it sounds like part of your problem is alkaline cells. STAY AWAY from alkaline cells. They are absolute horrible at powering any modern, high power electronics (like flashlights). They will be dimmer, and have ridiculously short runtimes. They also cost about 50 times more than NiMH in the long run. A cheap NiMH system will provide brighter lights, longer runtime, and drastically cheaper to run.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
3AAA lights have certain advantages and disadvantages:
-The holders are often flimsy and break.
-The holders are difficult to load in the dark.
-Contact between the holder and the tailcap spring is often poor needing a lot of fiddling to get them to work.
-They are direct driven so with alkaline batteries you get constant diminishing output. You need NiMH.
-They usually run 3.6V 600mA with NiMH. So they are twice as bright as most 1AA lights.
-Runtime with 1000mAh NiMH usually around an hour, with 800mAh 45 minutes.

Now to the lights you are looking at.
RC-K4
Too many battery options of different sizes. I would not trust the spring to reach the battery holder after a while. i would avoid.
-
People's Cree Q2 150-Lumen
< $10. The price is just too low. You gets what you pay for. Avoid.
-
Romisen RC-W4
Bessiebenny has a review on the sticky at the top of the LED flashlights forum. Suggest you read it.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199062
I got mine a few days ago. Body is machined good quality (not pressed metal nor plastic). Anti-roll ring digs into my palm (At least the light will not try to roll away on a relatively flat surface). Battery holder is on the flimsy side, load batteries with care. BTW do NOT use a 14500 battery in this light unless you make a plastic spacer. The battery is too skinny and rattles around bad not something you want a lithium cell to do.

-----

yellow,
Please look up the facts before making derogatory remarks. Here is Bessiebenny's runtime graph on the RC-W4. It does NOT
"5 mins very bright
20 mins even more dim, but reduction of output lowers."
rcw4combinedkp8.gif

all those 3 AAA will give You:
5 mins very bright
20 mins even more dim, but reduction of output lowers.

If they featured a circuit (like a Fenix has!) that keeps the output STABLE, 3 AAA could give 40-45 mins full power to a led.
simply unadequate
... but one of the lights You linked also can be run on an 18650 Li-Ion, that is the perfect cell atm for long runtime + bright light (if the driver is ok)

Last edited:

ruriimasu

Enlightened
OK.. i will stay away from 3 x AAAs :D

Btw, I was looking at Fenix T1. Is there any light like it but uses 1 AA or 2 x CR123 but is shorter than 10cm, with the focusable head and runtimes? I dont supposed the L1D has a focusable head, does it?

HKJ

Flashaholic
OK.. i will stay away from 3 x AAAs :D

Btw, I was looking at Fenix T1. Is there any light like it but uses 1 AA or 2 x CR123 but is shorter than 10cm, with the focusable head and runtimes? I dont supposed the L1D has a focusable head, does it?

Very few light has focusable heads and T1 does not have a focusable head, the only Fenix light with a focusable head is the E20 and it is not on the market yet.

ruriimasu

Enlightened

ruriimasu

Enlightened
It just means that the head is prefocused, not that your can adjust the focus.

huh? So I cant turn the head to focus? Then what is the difference between this prefocus head and a L1D?