Building Inspection Light?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I need a light for building inspection
This involves needing throw into crevices of buildings during daylight or twilight. My Fenix P2D Q5on turbo barely cut it.

Needs to have decent run time too and no bigger than 2x123 size

Thanks!

Wyeast

Enlightened
No bigger than a 2x123? Just a particular form factor you're comfortable with? The light you need depends largely on the situation you're in. If you're standing outside in daylight trying to peer into a crevice or hole, it's gonna be hard with most handheld lights - you just can't compete with daylight. At that point you're almost better off with a mirror. ;) If you're going into the building, into a darkened setting, you can get by with less, depending on the distance you need to see.

When I'm spelunking under a building, I usually pack the following:

Myo XP headlamp
Inova Bolt 2AA and/or Task Force Cree 2C, depending on the situation. The Bolt's more convenient/reliable, but the Cree 2C does better at longer sight distances.

Hope that helps!

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
2c mag with L-ions and 5761bulb? that's semi compact and very bright, with the right reflector it has good throw.

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
Of all the lights I've used on jobsites I visit, I prefer the Dereelight V3 2SM. This light just hits the sweet spot for me when in comes to a balance of size and brightness. I prefer to feed it a rechargeable 18650 rather than(2) CR123 batteries.

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our dawn to dusk inspection handhelds consist of a number of G2L-YL + Dereelight 1S Q5 SMO + FM34 lights. Rugged enough, bright enough, floody enough with the filter in place, throws well enough otherwise.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I don't mind size, I just don't want it to be awkward, nor too tiny and slippery

I reassessed my needs and it's usually light around dusk and evenings

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dereelight DBS or similar should be good. Designed to throw and the DBS is pretty easily upgraded.

sappyg

Enlightened
i build houses and carry a p2d q5 and have never found it lacking. today i am checking sheetrock finish so i brought along a g3 with an r2 LED that claims 270 lumen. i like SF g series lights. they are lite and rugged.
during daylight i preffer LED. it gets the job done.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
I would say to get a SF G2 or G3. Its built solid... If you drop it, it wont be a problem. Several colors so you can pick which you like the best. They are cheap so in the event you lose it.. You can just pick another one up for 36 bucks. Its a good looking light so nothing to really complain about there, not to big and not to small. I would say over great work light. Also you can get a recharge batt for 12 bucks off surefire cant go wrong. For under 50$ you can have a excellent all around flashlight package.

Last edited: