Unexpected changes

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the beginning I wanted throws..it's all about throws, now I love flood lights w/o hotspot.

At first I love bright, the brighter the better. Now I fell in love with low brightness lights like eo1 and arc AAA.

Anyone else found out what they like now is totally different from the beginning?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. It has always and will always be about throw for how I use handheld lights. A diffusion filter acheives flood with a throw light, there is no such role reversal means the other way around.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nope.

I make sure to buy a variety of different lights that do a variety of different things. Then I try to buy more lights. At least two for each purpose. That way, no matter what I want, I'm covered! :twothumbs

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
For close up work you need dimmer lights like the E01, for mid - longer work you need more lumens like the L1D / L2D / other throwers...

It's way too blinding to have a single mode bright thrower for close up work.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it comes down to what you use your lights for, work, EDC, or "play".

I have certain lights for throw (which usually translates to "play"). I personally find lights that are "pure" throwers are usually of limited use (for what I need anyway, your use may vary) for work or EDC.

At work I carry a SF 6P w/ Malkoff M60, a SF G2 with Malkoff M60LL (the light I use most when needing to light up an area for a while without "blinding" everyone and still having a good "run time" to make it thru the night), a Fenix L1T v.2, and of course the issued SL-20 in the squad. I use my lights for work and EDC (ok, a little play at times, LOL) and find most pure "throwers" are useless probably 95% (for me, some LEO's & SAR may have use for "pure" throwers more, I will admit they work great for finding addresses on houses) of the time for anything but "play".

You may find your needs different from mine, but that's my .02, FWIW.

Zenster

Enlightened
Yup; different lights for different purposes and scenarios.

However, I do note that most newbies come in looking for the brightest, furthest thrower and damn all the rest.
I imagine that most of those people quickly settle down and begin to understand that there's more to light than just looking at the top of a tree 100 yards away.
They probably start coming around when they realize that in all those trees that are 100 yards away, there's nothing in the tops of them to look at. :crackup:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well at first I wanted the most output. Now I still want the most output.

But I do have dimmer lights for my lower light needs.

Zenster

Enlightened
Well at first I wanted the most output. Now I still want the most output.

But I do have dimmer lights for my lower light needs.

Yup, people don't change their mind all at once, they gradually evolve.

Next, you'll start noticing how nice really long runtimes are, and maybe how different features make more sense in some situations than just the brightest light.

No one will force you, though. You will go through all those changes on your own. :ohgeez:

But with over 5000 posts, you sure are busy. Some people just take longer. :naughty:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats exactly why we all EDC more then one light.

You need one with a low/long run time
you need a power thrower
One with a general Beam..
and you need another one just cos.

Crenshaw

m16a

Enlightened
Well, I used to hate multimode lights, now I won't buy a light without 2 or more modes. I still like throw. Yup thats all for me, not many differences.

Oh yeah, two cell lights are no longer my thing, especially with emitters like the MC-E coming:devil:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think that's a natural progression. first you want ultimate brightness then transion to usefulness to what you need which in your case is a long low

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use lights to blind drunk people/get their attention. Brighter and Throwier = Better for me.