E1B launched on rocket

curlyfry562

Enlightened
I just got back from the Mojave desert this afternoon where we launched out approximately 20ft. tall liquid fuel rocket. It is not uncommon for us to add "personal payloads," so I ziptied my E1B to the bulkhead on our mock second stage. Well the launch didn't exactly go as planned and we had a yet undetermined propellant issue which caused the rocket to lurch off the pad, long story short, the rocket landed at about 35mph nose first w/ parachute. My E1B ended up buried under about a foot of dirt along with the farring (nose cone) and our second stage, I didn't really expect it to get hurt but I was rather proud when I saw that the E1B made it out without a scratch. I am aware this sucks without pics, but I will see what I can do.

Our previous work
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KtyoHOzjFkc

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Oh No!

Zombie E1B!

You tried to bury it, and it came back to life! :twothumbs

DM51

Flashaholic
Wow - that's quite a rocket shown in that clip. Great hobby - I had a few of those small Estes solid-fuel models at one time, but that rocket of yours look pretty professional. What G-force does it pull on ascent?

SF might be interested to hear about your E1B surviving that crash, especially if it makes a second trip and is still working after that.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see photos of the E1B. It's hard to believe it would survive a rocket crashing without a single scratch. Surely there must be some cosmetic scratches, no?

That said it's darn impressive. I'd like to see other lights tested like this, say Fenix, NiteCore, etc...

SilentK

Enlightened
you could always send it in as a true story on surefires website. if surefire likes it i think they give you like a $100 gift card to their site. Anyway i am glad to hear it survived. :twothumbs

curlyfry562

Enlightened
What G-force does it pull on ascent?

It was supposed to get about 5.5Gs on take off but due to some performance issues it looked like about 2Gs. The reason we had to take off so fast is because we are stabilized by our fins that only work at higher speeds, so the vehicle tipped about 10 degrees to the right after it got off the rail.

I due have pictures of the light on my camera which I will post soon, but I am not allowed to post pictures of the vehicle unless they are publicly released, sorry.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Next time, you should use a light as part of a nosecone. That could be fun and could also help balance the rocket.

The largest model rocket I've seen used a J engine.

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
Keep trying! We would love to hear about the first Surefire in space!

Thats what I was sort of thinking. If nothing else it's maybe the first flashlight to go through some serious G-forces, but I don't know how far up it got up.

This did give me a crazy, yes crazy idea. Being that I am ex-military, my mind wandered into a wild idea. OK folks go easy on me but- What if the Military had some type of special flashlight cluster attack light bomb? (S.C.A.B.) Imagine, if you will, instead of a regular cluster bomb, the types that shower out all of the little or big bomblets that destroy and kill everything and everyone in small to large sections of the battlefield. Well what if the Military developed a new kind of clusterbomb utilizing flashlights. Imagine a few dozen flashlights that when dispensed from the cluster pod, would free fall, then deploy a small parachute, while the light would then "turn on" from some distance (sensor/timer), like a starlight flare, or something. So there would be a good deal of illumination from above falling down slowly on chutes, displaying the enemy, then either exploding on impact with maybe some c-4 plastic explosives, or a spying live video affixed to the light, maybe a super-crenellated model, in case one is a dud. Or as the lights fall, they could be fitted with a sensor to do an airburst over the selected strike area. Then, maybe even a light model on a chute that does not explode on impact, or airburst, but would have a time delay, or motion sensor to explode when some insurgent thinks he is getting a brand new E2DL (Exploding 2lbs Delay Light):laughing: That is 2 lbs of c-4 plastic explosive with or without extra stuff like ball bearings, or whatever.
As the war on terror continues, primarily the Taliban crossing from Pakistan into the tribal areas along the border with Afghanistan, and the Taliban / Al Quado kill our soldiers and our friends, including U.N. forces, then they haul *** back to their safe (for now) zones. I think it would be a great idea to airdrop special lights, like my special E2DL described above. Airdrop ones that actually work in scattered areas in that deadly area, and they think they have accidentially received some of our air drops, then as the terrorists get closer to the border, they get the special lights that will surely sure-fire their asses up. They would have to be marked in a way that our troops and our friends forces know not to touch one, something like colors of the lights (like black/red). Or even a GPS code emitting model-type that alerts all friendly forces to a "NO" or "OK" message.
I know folks that I have a vivid imagination, but there may be some use for flashlights to help the military, besides what they do now, against the wars going on at present. Maybe the CIA could also get involved with my SSEF series. (Special Surprise Exploding Flashlight).:poof:

I have 2 E1Bs and I know that they are one tough light, so it does not shock me that there was no damage to it. It is a great 1 battery light that I really enjoy. Thanks for getting us the report, and thanks for letting me snag some ideas into my brain. A rocket...............an E1B........and the brain starts to give me all kinds of crazy ideas.:naughty:

blinder switch