Fenix Tk11 for Duty

lawman84

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys heres the deal I'm planning on purchasing a Fenix TK11 for my duty light due to its high output, simple no nonsense two-mode operation, and the long runtime. What do you all think about this light as a duty light? Is there any other light that would serve better for a duty light? If so what and why?

I also have a question about the batteries. Are 18650's rechargeable and if so who makes the best batteries and charger? Also are there any cautions that should be taken with these batteries?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CL1H v4 is better at punching through 5% tint from a car distance away. This is a concern in regions where tinted vehicles are pervasive, such as Los Angeles. I favor the Pila 600P (18650) battery and the Pila IBC charger. Try not to discharge the batteries all the way down, charge them in an environment away from flammables.

Metatron

Banned
+1 for the dereelight cl1h v4 as u have a choice between a blue white beam as opposed to the tk 11 warm white beam only. also, the derrlight is upgradable:)
they both use 18650's rechargeable, can be found at dealsextreme.com
the trustfires are good and so are the trustfire chargers ok. dont forget to order the 12v car plug as well.

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dereelight has a tighter hotspot than the TK11 (assuming the TK11 reflector is the same as the smooth T1 reflector, which is likely).

As others have said the tighter spot helps penetrate tinted car windows if that is a requirement for you.

As the Dereelight is upgradeable it will keep up with the Jones's better over time.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am pretty interested in the V4 dereelight myself. whats the difference between the UI of the 3 stage digital and the 3 stage multi-power digital?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multi accepts voltage up to 9V, digital (SD) - 4,2V (single Li-Ion). SM with 18650 is out of regulation.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two days if 'lawman84' lives in US. If not shipping takes 2 weeks as well.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK10 has wider spot because it has MOP or even HOP reflector. Hotspot with smooth one should be much tighter.
I would imagine the TK11 with the smooth reflector will not significantly out throw the TK10. The Dereelight or a Tiablo A9 with a much larger reflector will greatly out throw the TK10 or TK11.

My $0.02

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelight DBS or Tiablo A9 are significantly bigger. You should compare TK11 to Dereelight CL1H.

Besides TK11 probably outthrows TK10. Greatly:D.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelight DBS or Tiablo A9 are significantly bigger. You should compare TK11 to Dereelight CL1H.

Besides TK11 probably outthrows TK10. Greatly:D.
You're right the DBS and A9 have got huge heads and that can be a pain.
We'll see how much better the TK11 throws than the TK10 when the regular testers get their hands on them. :popcorn: Hehe.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought...How are you going to carry it?

There aren't any holsters made to fit a Fenix TK10/11 that are duty compatible (i.e. black basketweave or smooth leather, snaps, etc).

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Both the Dereelight CL1H and Fenix TK11 are good lights.

TK10:
2 easy to use modes

CL1H:
Easy to upgrade
Guaranteed tint

18650 batteries are 18mm wide 65m long Li-ion(can be of a different chemistry) rechargeable batteries. Most would suggest AW's batteries.

:welcome:

lawman84

Newly Enlightened
Just a thought...How are you going to carry it?

There aren't any holsters made to fit a Fenix TK10/11 that are duty compatible (i.e. black basketweave or smooth leather, snaps, etc).

The nylon will work fine, my department doesn't mind as long as its black. I looked at the dereelight cl1h v4 but I don't think I will like the operation. It sounds like it would be to easy to change at a critical time. Still looking for the best place to get 18650's and a charger. Also has anyone ever ordered from fenixtactical.com. They have the gun mount for the TK11's and I was going to order both of them from there and save on shipping.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
AW is a good person to buy from and has good batteries that many people here like. Fenix Store or right from AW.

Fenix Store does have international shipping included in their price.

I Fenix Tactical seems to be a good place according to people here.