his siblings are dead and his mother is gone

As Found

As Fed

As Fond

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't feed it cow's milk.

http://www.squirrel-rehab.org/

your heart is in the right place but please please check out this website and send an email here: [email protected] asking for emergency squirrel care information. thank you. :)

(here the squirrels serve as sentinels of danger, I usually tell what the trouble is by the bark. they have different warning barks for danger from the air or ground, and levels of urgency.. :cool:

ADDED:

OK I read the website I recommended above and found it maddeningly short on squirrel rescue advice -- all they say is to go to a 'licensed rehab facility" --

SO -- THIS website has the actual secret magic hidden squirrel feeding formula:

HOW TO CARE FOR AND FEED A BABY SQUIRREL:

http://www.squirrels.org/t_raising.html

some of the instructions in part -- you need to read it all though:

"...The first thing is to determine if the baby is dehydrated. Check the mouth and nose for dryness. Look for dry, red, or tacky mucous membranes. Next, check for skin pliability. This can be done by gently pinching the skin on the infant's back, and raising it slightly. If the skin remains in a "tented" fashion for more that a second or two, the animal is likely dehydrated.

Prior to any treatment, the baby squirrel's body must be warmed to at least 98 degrees Fahrenheit.* Wrapping the baby in a warmed towel for several minutes can do this.

To reintroduce fluids, use a 1cc syringe filled with warmed "Pedialyte" this is a hydrating fluid for human babies. It should be available in any drug store. An alternative fluid would be "Gatorade". Be sure it is warmed to body temperature before you start feeding. You should allow the baby to set the pace of sucking. This takes a little practice, just remember slower is better. Follow the feeding chart below, and recheck every four hours or so, for signs of improvement. Hydrating should last no more than 24 hours.

Next, what to feed your new arrival. A formula of powdered "Esbilac" mixed with water is the recommended choice. Esbilac is a milk replacement for puppies. It can be purchased at most pet supply stores; you should also pick up a 3cc syringe for a newborn or a 10cc. syringe for squirrels four weeks and older. Esbilac comes in powder form and also premixed liquid. If you are feeding one squirrel, get the smallest size can. Naturally the powder will keep longer then the liquid form. But you can prolong the life of both by pouring the mixed formula into an ice cube tray and freezing. This gives you about sixteen one-ounce doses, which you can then defrost and warm in the Microwave oven. This method is helpful if you have a lot of mouths to feed.

The basic formula should consist of 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of powder Esbilac, and 1/2 cup of whipping cream. The cream is added to fortify the formula, and add a little extra incentive to eat. An alternative small batch mixture would be 2-tsp water, 1 tsp Esbilac, and 1 tsp of whipping cream. You'll have less waste with this teaspoon method.

If your squirrel has trouble with the regular Esbilac, such as diarrhea or bloating. PetAg makes an Esbilac formula with goat's milk. This can be a good alternative.

Be sure the formula is warmed to 98 degrees F. but no higher then 102 degrees. Cradle the infant in the palm of one hand, then administered the formula slowly. Let the squirrel set the pace of feeding.

The frequency of feeding depends on the age and weigh of the infant squirrel.
The following are guidelines from which you should start, adjust these amounts as needed.

Under one week of age (umbilical cord still attached), will require 9 feeding's. These should be scheduled every two hours, starting at 6 a.m. and the last one at 10 p.m. Quantity should be around 1cc. or 1/4 teaspoon.

Age 2-3 weeks, feed 5 times a day, start at 1 1/2 cc of formula and increase to 3 cc

Age 4-5 weeks, feed 4 times a day, start at 3 1/2 cc of formula and increase to 5 cc

Age 6-7 weeks, feed 4 times a day, start at 6 cc of formula and increase to 9 cc

Age 8 weeks, feed 10 to 14 cc twice a day. Begin weaning onto small pieces of solid food.

After feeding, you must make sure the infant can and will relief itself. To stimulate this process use a dampened Q-tip and gentle rub it across the genitals. It is not necessary that you get results each time, but the pattern should be established early..."

(Emp. ; I felt compelled to get this emergency information out asap -- if this it's too much please feel free to remove ..thank you.)

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Reid

Newly Enlightened
Dear Ted. Thank you so much for your help.

I did not date the story as being 2 years past and done
because this sort of thing happens countless times every season, everywhere there are squirrels.

Reminder to us all to look down when we walk.

Thank you, Ted, for the instructions to save baby squirrels.
I had none of that help, it was not online back then when this baby was found.

So now we have a thread showing a typical infant squirrel, rescued, and how to
keep it going, courtesy of your empathy, love and care for all things innocent and helpless.

Thank you sir.