Led Lenser P7 or equivelent

Shimmy

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, new to these parts, and was after some help/advice.

Right, here goes...

Recently I saw the Led Lenser P7 advertised in a magazine, and was impressed with it.
After looking around on their website and finding the model, I thought it would be the perfect torch for me.
However, after reading around a bit, it seems that the battery life is not as good as claimed? or it the brightness starts decreasing at an increasing rate after a couple of hours (for anyone who has one - is this true?).

Now the things it would be used for would be, usual uses around the house on top of camping, 4WDing (off roading - depending where your from), amoung a few other misc uses. So needless to say, it would have to be pretty rugged as it would/could get knocked around a bit.

So as the title says, I would like some help towards making a decision, and would like to know if there are any others around that are similar to the P7 that would be worth looking at.
The main things I would like it to do well, is throw, brightness, and long battery life.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS: I can get the P7 for $80AUD (not inc postage fees), but am willing to look at anything worth up to the RRP of the P7.

Cheers.

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:There are many better lights than the LL P7 to be honest. The LL's generally have had poor reviews by members of this forum (myself included). They have been a few steps behind similarly priced lights in the past. I remember there being a P7 review on this forum somewhere... I think.

Dealextreme.com have a wide range of budget flashlights, See Bessiebennies budget light reviews sticky at the top of the LED lights forum.

There are several brands making quality lights at the P7 pricepoint. Fenix lights are perhaps the most popular and offer excellent performance at a decent price, but there are other's out there too.

Last edited:

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
Hi Shimmy,

Welcome to CPF. :welcome:

As you quoted in AU dollars I assume you are from around here. :wave: Take the time to read the rules as I had no idea what I was doing when I first joined.

About your question... I would steer clear of the Ledlenser as well. I would do as suggested above and go for a Fenix (<-- click to go straight there) if $80 is your budget. They offer FREE worldwide shipping and customer service is about as good as it gets. Prices are in US dollars but they are almost the same as we speak.

I have just pre-ordered the new D10. It is only $59.00 (including shipping) and if you use the coupon code CPF8 you get 8% off. The D10 has a piston style switch that won't wear out. (apparently?) But best of all it uses the very common AA style cell of any chemistry, (alkaline, mercury, zinc, rechargables, lithium and so on.) so you won't have to invest in a suitable charger at the moment. :thumbsup:

You may find a few people around here that think differently about Fenix products but I (have converted) think that they represent good value for money for what they are.

Hope this helps.

SQ

Shimmy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome.

I tried looking around for a review on the P7, but couldn't find one, will keep looking.

Yup I'm from Aus, down south in Tassie.

Taking a gander at the Fenix site now.

$80 is the cheapest I saw the P7 around for, however I could go a bit more.

Thanks for the links, tips and opinions... I appreciate it.

Cheers.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Ok, so good size, decently tough, decent throw, and can run for a while.

Many lights fit into this category. How much throw? What size? What batteries?

For a good everyday light, the Fenix L2D-CE Q5 might be a good choice. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

The P7 model can throw a good distance due to its optic.

There is a P7 LED from Seoul that LEDLenser doesn't use and it can produce 800 lumen.

:welcome:

Shimmy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link GBH2.

Gunner12: In a nutshell yes, thats what I would like.

As for throw, it would be nice if it was useful at 50M+.

Anything up to about 20cm or so, about 5cm in diameter for the most part, if some parts were bigger, shouldn't matter too much.
Really just something thats not too small and fiddly but not too big that it gets in the way.

Any batteries are reasonably common would be fine.

The optic on the P7 is partly what I liked about it, with the decent flood and spot options.

Looked at the Fenix L2D Q5 and P3D Q5 and liked them.
Also looked at the the Deree CL1H, Olight T20-Q5 and Wolf-Eyes D2AX (although I'm not sure how much these are worth).
Surefire 6P LED and Regal WT1/R1 (although I couldn't find any info on the latter) seemed pretty good, but seems they don't run long (11 hours on the 6P).

Also, am I right to assume that the runtime on the P7 is till dead flat? also, does anyone know how long it takes before it notably dims?
And the Fenix, Olight are till 50%? If so, does anyone know if they still decrease a steady rate after that or do they drop flat within about an hour after?

Cheers.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
6PL runs 3 hours with flat regulation and gets dimm. From other lights I recommend Regal WT1 (if you know where to buy one). It's quite small, has very efficient circuit and outthrows many bigger lights (and CL1H, Eolf-Eyes, Fenixes of course). It's perfect for 50-150 meters range.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The LEDLenser P7 with good NiMh batteries should run up to an hour before significant dimming on high(a guess). It won't run 70 something hours.

Dereelight's website.

The Olight T20 Q5 was $60 before coupon at Fenix Store. It's not there anymore though. Batteryjunction has it for $58.50 before shipping and coupon.

As for dimming for the Fenix and Olight after the initial dimming. It should continue dimming, but I'm not sure how much but they should last for a bit. It can also depend on the battery.

Shimmy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, an thanks for posting the run times.

However I don't think they run long enough (I realize I may be asking for a lot), as I would prefer not to carry around a bag of batteries for it when out in the middle of whoop whoop (no where) especially if they are rare-er batteries, as AA batts would be easier to get if I was to run out of batts.

And I can't find the Regal light for sale in Aus.
But I did find a couple of reviews of it, and it does seem really decent.

Gunner212: Thanks for the reply.

I have found a site ( http://www.light-reviews.com ) that has reviewed these lights, and it seems the Fenix and OLight torches dim very little at first and is quite steady until it goes flat, as if the graphs are anything to go by, its stays at near full brightness until about 20 min before they are flat.

It's a shame the P7 isn't really as good as they advertise.

Just to be clear though, I'm not looking for something with the longest burn time at max output (although that would be very nice, but I figure its not realistic), but rather a decent medium-ish burn time, with more of a mixture with a lower brightness, with the occasional max brightness.

Cheers.

Last edited:

GimmeLumens

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone actually used a Led Lenser P7 who's responded to this string? I recently bought one and without a doubt I can say there is simply nothing close to this product. I own half a dozen surefires and I'm considering dumping them on e-bay.

Led Lenser's optics blow the doors off any other manufacturer that I've seen. They did not go out and buy these optics off the shelf from one of the optic companies. The one-handed focusing ability of the P7 and the lack of artifacts in the focus is really a technological step forward for flashlights. Anyone can slap a cree chip inside a metal tube and power it with AAA's, CR123's, etc.. and we can argue all day long over what is the better battery source and whether it should be regulated or not. However, the truth is only an elite few companies are capable of putting together an innovative product like the P7. If I had the time and inclination I would post a bunch of beam shot photos up to show the focusing ability of the P7. It just has to be seen and compared to other focusing flashlights to see how it performs. I can literally go from full wide beam to spot in a fraction of a second with one hand.

One of the coolest features (if you can call it that) is something fellow engineers like me will appreciate. I just noticed this the other day: the switch mechanism is integrated into the battery cartridge. The tail cap switch is nothing more complicated than robust plunger that will probably last forever. Led Lenser put all the working bits of the switch into an internal piece that can be easily replaced if it ever fails. If you're like me and you use flashlights all the time, you know switches fail eventually. They are moving parts and they kick the bucket after 5,000 of maybe 20,000 cycles if you're really lucky. Led Lenser made the P7 practially bullet proof. I am going to keep a close eye on this company. I think they are a couple steps ahead of the competition at the moment.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have to agree with GimmeLumens - I just bought a P7 too and I own some nice lights as well and cannot help but say this is a great piece of engineering - its easy to speculate on something you don't own!

To explain the switch some more - the switch travells about 4-5mm from off (rest position) to the "click" stay on position - so pressing button in half way acts as momentary on high - let go and light is off.

Ok now as you press button in all the way in "click" light goes on high - then when you remove pressure of your finger light stays on low (say like a moon beam setting) - while on low press the button in just a bit to access full beam momentarily while you hold your finger on it (meaning you can access a burst of full light any time you want) - release it and it goes back to low (might sound complicated but when you try one it makes scene).

from low (the first click) press in "click" again and it goes to full and stays there - press and click again ( the third time "click") and it turns off.

so to recap the switch - 1st click low 2nd click high 3rd click off - so accept when on high you can activate high anytime by pushing the button in just a bit and no its not that easy to bump in your pocket.

Also the 130 hours that it LL claims - I would think that they are claiming the hours on the low setting - of which I would believe - "car manufacturer's don't quote a cars worst economy when they sell it two you do they?"

Beam pattern is really brilliant & easy to the eye - the focus is similar to spherical lens that people put on the front of their LED moded Ma@ lites but nicer (creamy with no spill)and quicker to zoom in and out.

Build quality is great - no bare threads to corrode - every thing fits perfect! and it oozes quality.

It comes with LL brand alkaline batteries - but when I tried a set of Nimh rechargeable's in it was brighter :D.

So I bought some 1200Mah Nimh AAA rechargeable batteries - so doing the maths = 4.8V and 4800Mah of run time :D - I cannot do that in my DBS Q5 with a "2500Mah" 18650 lithium battery - yes it out throws the P7 but only with a not so user friendly pencil beam - and to be honest to walk in the bush I would choose the P7 every time for its depth perception & the DBS for the ooooh! aaah! effect to my friends and to spot light a possum in a tree at 250 meters.

Just thought I would put my 2 cents in - its just a small light and it cannot stick up for itself :nana:

"Dont judge some one till you have walked a mile in their shoes - that way you will be a mile away and have their shoes too" :ironic: :ohgeez:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
...So I bought some 1200Mah Nimh AAA rechargeable batteries - so doing the maths = 4.8V and 4800Mah of run time :D - I cannot do that in my DBS Q5 with a "2500Mah" 18650 lithium battery...

When you add batteries, either add the voltage(series, as it is on the LEDLenser P7) or capacity(parallel). So with the LEDLenser P7, you'll get a 4.8v battery pack with 1200 mAh capacity. For 4.8v ans 4800 mAh, you'll need 16 of those batteries.

Maybe LEDLenser has improved their quality quite a bit?

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad "gimmelumens"and "glenn7" are happy with their P7! Thanks for you're reviews of them too.

Now for a few questions;
Could someone tell me what emitter the light uses?
Is it regulated?
Is it waterproof?
Any beamshots? Hehe

Thanks!

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
Ok now as you press button in all the way in "click" light goes on high - then when you remove pressure of your finger light stays on low (say like a moon beam setting) - while on low press the button in just a bit to access full beam momentarily while you hold your finger on it (meaning you can access a burst of full light any time you want) - release it and it goes back to low (might sound complicated but when you try one it makes scene).

from low (the first click) press in "click" again and it goes to full and stays there - press and click again ( the third time "click") and it turns off.

So if you're trying to turn it on to low, there's a flash of high first?

GimmeLumens

Newly Enlightened
Could someone tell me what emitter the light uses? Cree XR-E
Is it regulated? No
Is it waterproof? Water resistant but I haven't tested it out so I can't say for sure how well it holds up in a deluge.
Any beamshots? Wish I had the time!

Last edited:

GimmeLumens

Newly Enlightened
Could someone tell me what emitter the light uses? Cree XR-E
Is it regulated? No
Is it waterproof? Water resistant but I haven't tested it out so I can't say for sure how well it holds up in a deluge.
Any beamshots? Wish I had the time!

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gunner12 - thanks for the info on the Mah's - what a donkey! I wasn't thinking :ohgeez:

Tony M - yes XR-E according to MattK a Q4 - here's a interesting link in CPF for the Q4 https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172379
- also cannot tell yet if it is regulated as I need too buy a smaller star/hex key screw driver than I have to open the pill from the top - but it looks real easy to mod :D
I would have to say its rain proof as where I live (Tasmania) its winter with rain/snow and I use it to walk the dog at night - after drying it off with a cloth and opening it not a drop of water in it - it does have two O rings on the slide focus adjusting head and O rings every where else - there is a link on CPF showing two LL's in a jar of water turned on and left in for half an hour with now drops of water entering - aaah just found the link https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2274471&postcount=16

candlelight001 - yes that is one slight negative it does flash on high for a split second when you select low - spose you cant have everything.

The shop I bought it from said they a selling them to the police with no problems.

The big soft 2-3 metre circle of moon light (on low) that doesn't make me squint around the house on white walls feature on this torch makes me grab it first.

When you pull it apart you go oh that makes sence & hey thats clever - also it feels like when you are pulling it apart it feels like a well machined piece of equipment not just a tube with a rubber button on the end (its button is a metal plunger by the way) and a reflector screwid on the front.

One thing I have noticed is anyone who owns one of these can see the abillity and positive aspects of this torch - but lots who haven't only speculate on thin air.

I have been into flashlights for some 30ish years and I have bought some that looked great at the time - but just sit there staring at me saying why did you buy me you don't ever use me? - and I look back and say hmm you just don't cut it sorry :)crackup:now I've gone mad I'm talking to my flashlights!!)- but this is one just has the "thats IT" feel for EDC for me (supose I would say it is a Toyota of the flashlight world).
hope my ramblings have helped.

Metatron

Banned
lets get this right. led lenser make excellent products, i carry 6 torches with me on a daily basis and i choose one to suite the environment i am working in.
9 times out of ten i will grab the led lenser as the hot spot will be more defined than the tk10, or my various derees, AND they outlast shine time compared to the others. the derees r good for a walk in the woods, should u be nuts enough to actually do that or u have a death wish:) same goes for the tk10. if u need a light for work, led lenser all the way.:twothumbs