Malkoff P7 Projects

Gene43

Enlightened
I hadn't planned on posting this, but I've gotten an awful lot of questions concerning the new SSC P7.

I've finally gotten a good supply of CSWOJ binned P7's. These are the 800-900 lumens at 2.7A ones. Coming up with a suitable driver solution for these has proven to be an expensive an tedious proposition. But here is what i've managed to come up with to date. 2 X NIMH = 3A draw with 1.7A output, 3 X NIMH = 3A draw with 3A ouput.

I've also come up with a high voltage solution. The output is 2.8A with a 5v to 28v input. Input currents range from 2.2A down to 0.3A depending on input voltage.

The current plan is to use the Universal heatsink to house these. Fraen makes a reflector intended for Osram multi die leds that works nicely with the P7 and fits well in the heatsink. Also Khatod is supposed to be coming out with reflectors purpose built for the P7 later this Summer.

Finally I've come up with a new heatsink for use in the Streamlight SL20x. I'm having prototypes built and will see how it works out.

I hope to have some of this stuff finalized in the next couple weeks.:) I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.

Thanks, Gene

Last edited:

cree8

Newly Enlightened
Sounds good Gene look forward to updates, very exciting

habibi

Newly Enlightened
Helle Gene!

Good to hear from you....

I have been waiting for your p7 solution....... Make it real!!!

Cheers from Germany

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds great, Gene. :)

Looks like I'll need to get a couple more malkoff hosts. :p

How is your minimag p7 prototype going? :laughing:

Gene43

Enlightened
I can't see a P7 in a MiniMag in the foreseeable future. I've not heard of any optics for the P7. If you know something I don't know please point me in the right direction. Alkaline solutions are conceivable but I would have to lower the output by about half. The above solutions would operate on alkalines for short periodic use.

JamisonM

Enlightened
I can't see a P7 in a MiniMag in the foreseeable future. I've not heard of any optics for the P7. If you know something I don't know please point me in the right direction. Alkaline solutions are conceivable but I would have to lower the output by about half. The above solutions would operate on alkalines for short periodic use.
LITEmania has P7 optics. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=179650

prof student

Enlightened
How does the P7 compare to the Q5 you are currently using in your surefire dropins?

Yes, I see 4-6X's the lumens, but what about the other details? Like color rendition, reach/throw, and of course duration of battery?

Oh, most importantly, what design are you doing for the SL 20x? Is it with the p7?

Thanks.

jerry i h

Enlightened
I can't see a P7 in a MiniMag in the foreseeable future. I've not heard of any optics for the P7. If you know something I don't know please point me in the right direction. Alkaline solutions are conceivable but I would have to lower the output by about half...

I got this link from DM51:
http://www.litemania.com/front/php/product.php?product_no=801&main_cate_no=&display_group=
And, no, I do not read Korean.

Alkalines lower output by half? Explain? Would the driver have to be specially jiggled to work with alkalines?

Gene43

Enlightened
Yes it would be a P7 in a SL20x. No plans for P7 in an M60 as of yet.......? The P7's are for those who desire car headlight like performance. Alkalines are not phyisically able to deliver the required output for long duration like NIMH can.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it would be a P7 in a SL20x. No plans for P7 in an M60 as of yet.......? The P7's are for those who desire car headlight like performance. Alkalines are not phyisically able to deliver the required output for long duration like NIMH can.

A P7+SL20X=dano duty light bliss, as I'm trying to shake my incan light bias :cool:

-dan

VolumeRate

Newly Enlightened
this is sounds great, if you need any help? we will be here, also maybe we can cooperate on this? Then sell together? hehe... wild thoughts, but maybe we can make it.

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
Gene,

I like floody beams, and if you can pull off a P7 in an M60-sized module, you will definitely definitely get my $$$. It is OK if it could only be used at high output for a short time due to heat. I've got the battery side covered.