Cleaning Laptop Screens: ?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does one use to clean a LCD laptop screen? I thought it was glass but its some type of soft plastic or polymer. How hard can you push on it without ruining it? Thanks. :thinking:

Eric_M

Enlightened
I use a 50/50 mixture of alcohol and distilled water. Spray on and wipe with a soft cloth. Worked fine for years with no trouble.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a pinch I use a soft tissue and just a dab of water...gently rub the screen to wipe off dirt / dust.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a pinch I use a soft tissue and just a dab of water...gently rub the screen to wipe off dirt / dust.

Careful about tissue, it feel soft to you but the wood fibre in there is harder than plastic and scratch will show if you have the smooth LCD, same goes for polycarbonate flashlight lens and eyeglass.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
The best method is:

Damp paper towel to clean & remove dirt etc
Dry paper towel to remove water residue before it can leave streaks

This is the same procedure that we use at work for the screens on our NZ$8000 computer registers. This is what is recommended to us by the Mfg.

Getting the screen repaired on one of these is very, expensive, time consuming & annoying :)sigh::mecry::hairpull::banghead: type of annoying)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Careful about tissue, it feel soft to you but the wood fibre in there is harder than plastic and scratch will show if you have the smooth LCD, same goes for polycarbonate flashlight lens and eyeglass.

yeah, you would THINK with a tag line like "silky softness" or something, it would be soft.....:ohgeez:

Crenshaw

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I've been using a cloth dampened with hydrogen peroxide on my 19" LCD monitor. No streaks and no problems.

DM51

Flashaholic
I just cleaned mine with Mr. Muscle window-cleaner, before I saw this thread. Sounds like the sort of stuff Sgt. LED would approve of.

I'll let you know if my screen dissolves as a result of this, lol.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use duster spray to remove any major debris, followed by a disposable eyeglass/lens wipe.

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just cleaned mine with Mr. Muscle window-cleaner, before I saw this thread. Sounds like the sort of stuff Sgt. LED would approve of.

I'll let you know if my screen dissolves as a result of this, lol.

LOL

I am a big fan of Micro Fiber cloths. In most cases they can be used dry. For grease / finger print type problems a little Windex or DM51's Mr Muscle can be used with the Micro Fiber cloth.

These Cloths have come way down in price. You can get 25 at Sams Club for 9.99. I have cleaned my Camera Len's, Binoculars, Computer Screens for years and Never had one problem. For expensive lens you should always use a known Clean Cloth made for this purpose.

DO NOT use tissue paper on coated lens, polycarbonates, Cameras or Binoculars. As stated earlier this practice will almost certainly cause fine scratches sooner or later.

Bill

Last edited: