M60 Disassembly?

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, craziness. But has anyone taken thier m60's apart? If I removed the optics would I be able to access the led? It's kind of a weird/eccentric project/idea of mine, possibly just a stupid one.:sick2::poof:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Those guys are not user servicable.
Taking out the optic won't give you enough room to work. You have to take the Led out through the base of the drop-in. Plus it is really potted in there solidly with a lotta black goop. It can be done but to do it right, ie not destroying it, takes some real effort. If you try it be sure to give us some pics of the carnage involved!

Now after an led swap the hard part is getting the led perfectly straight so the optic will still produce a good beam. Not sure how to do that part........

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now after an led swap the hard part is getting the led perfectly straight so the optic will still produce a good beam. Not sure how to do that part........

The emitter isn't mounted to anything? That's extremely bad if true. But I highly doubt that the emitter isn't mounted to the module's brass outside.

If you can get the optic holder out, you can definitely get to the emitter well enough to change it. It is already a Q5 though, so there's virtually no improvement in output to be gained.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
true, but I like the optics on the malkoff module. I've got an a19uv on order so I'll see how I like it before I ruin a perfectly good malkoff. That is a good suggestion though. I might give that a try as a cost effective option.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
true, but I like the optics on the malkoff module. I've got an a19uv on order so I'll see how I like it before I ruin a perfectly good malkoff. That is a good suggestion though. I might give that a try as a cost effective option.

This
is the optic. I realize that link might take you to the storefront page, so search "KEPL112706". DX sells an optic that is 10˚, and KD sells one that is 8˚. The KD one is better made.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice link, I was having a hard time finding it on the Khatod site. But still that would require making a module to hold the optic. My motivation unfortunately is often overwhelmed by my laziness. Family trait sadly, generations of A's have been lazy good for nothing flashahol addicts (A clan's womens words, not mine). Sad times for the tribe indeed.:sigh:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
theres a m60l on b/s/t right now, I'll probably wait on it though 50 is high, they're 54 from gene.

Aussie Cheese

Newly Enlightened
optical grade plastics have uv stabilisers which prohibit a radical based cross polymerisation from occurring along the alkane backbone. once all the stabilisers have been consumed, the optic will turn yellow and become brittle.

basically, the optic will absorb all the uv and will only emit uv(if at all) when the optic is in the process of failure.

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so that's the end of this idea.:oops:

Thanks, it's good to know what is and is not a feasible idea before I get too wrapped up in them.

Good to know though. Some of what you said was a little over my head, but I know that UV is used to aid in curing resins and such, I'm guessing it has something to do with that?:confused:

generic808

Enlightened
theres a m60l on b/s/t right now, I'll probably wait on it though 50 is high, they're 54 from gene.

They may be on sale for $54, but you have to factor in the $8 flat-rate shipping cost which makes it $62. $50 for a Malkoff is a great deal in my opinion.

michelkenny

Newly Enlightened
They may be on sale for $54, but you have to factor in the $8 flat-rate shipping cost which makes it $62. $50 for a Malkoff is a great deal in my opinion.

The $54 is also a sale price. Soon it will go back to $60 + $8 = $68.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The emitter isn't mounted to anything? That's extremely bad if true. But I highly doubt that the emitter isn't mounted to the module's brass outside.
It is. Just trying to say it can be tough even so. Then we have to bring the led distance to the optic into play. Luckily this project isn't going any further. Hate for someone to experiment on a working Q5 Malkoff, at least untill the R4 bin is out!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is. Just trying to say it can be tough even so. Then we have to bring the led distance to the optic into play. Luckily this project isn't going any further. Hate for someone to experiment on a working Q5 Malkoff, at least untill the R4 bin is out!
The optic securely snaps together with the LED.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect the reason that the current batch of malkoffs are for sale because the bins are going to be updated, R2 is my guess. It's just speculation though. But Gene is usually pretty good about updating bins.

As for modifying DX dropins, I'll probably wait till the A19 with the 7090uv gets here, if any of my coworkers decide they want one I'll probably just have them order the terralux kit and minimag tailcap, and loc-tite or thermal epoxy the head. even the DX module is probably too expensive. The led is 25 bucks from sandwich shoppe. Then I'd have to convince them to buy a metal 6p host. Most just aren't comfortable spending more than 20-40 bucks for a light.