Iron Man palmlight

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That's cool. I think the next step should be to make the light part thinner so it would be more comfortable.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's cool. I think the next step should be to make the light part thinner so it would be more comfortable.

it appears to be the heat sink it self thats just protuding alot.

that is SOOO cool...i wonder if he will take orders.....

Its not exactly hard to rig a up a potentiometer and stuff, but rigging it up like that...wow...

where that P7 though? someone email him!

Crenshaw

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
awsome...we may have a new flashaholic soon then..:D...

anyone else picturing an aspheric lens on that thing?

Crenshaw

You could try and see if Scott could build you a Milky IronPalm :naughty:

Carlitos

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody. I'm glad to see you like my Iron Man light. Thank you for linking to my blog.

I discovered this forum thanks to Takioma. I never thought about flashlights and their performance and I don't know much about the subject, but it looks definitely interesting.

As for the P7, I had never heard about it before but it looks very powerful (~ 10X more powerful than my palm light, from what I understand). The only problem is that it is a bit expensive. Still, I may get a few of them when I get a job.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everybody. I'm glad to see you like my Iron Man light. Thank you for linking to my blog.

I discovered this forum thanks to Takioma. I never thought about flashlights and their performance and I don't know much about the subject, but it looks definitely interesting.

As for the P7, I had never heard about it before but it looks very powerful (~ 10X more powerful than my palm light, from what I understand). The only problem is that it is a bit expensive. Still, I may get a few of them when I get a job.

I for one wouldnt mind chipping in and getting you one for the sake of forwarding this project.....:D

Hows about trying your hand at iron man's "heart"?

:huh:

Crenshaw

Carlitos

Newly Enlightened
I'm working on the hart, but I have two main problems: (1) I don't have the appropriate materials (I usually use stuff from the garbage so I have to wait until I see an Iron Man arc reactor in my mind coming from a pile of junk I have in my possession), and (2) I cannot find a good picture of the arc reactor (I haven't searched a lot) and I cannot rely on my memory as I did for the palm light.

Also, it seems the P7 requires a heat sink. Does it go on the LED itself or is it just for the power supply (this may be a stupid question but it is the first time I read an LED requires a heat sink)?

Carlitos

Newly Enlightened
*sorry for the double post, I hit back on firefox and it posted my message again*

I'm working on the hart, but I have two main problems: (1) I don't have the appropriate materials (I usually use stuff from the garbage so I have to wait until I see an Iron Man arc reactor in my mind coming from a pile of junk I have in my possession), and (2) I cannot find a good picture of the arc reactor (I haven't searched a lot) and I cannot rely on my memory as I did for the palm light.

Also, it seems the P7 requires a heat sink. Does it go on the LED itself or is it just for the power supply (this may be a stupid question but it is the first time I read an LED requires a heat sink)?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The LED itself can produce quite a bit of heat. There are many drivers for the LED and most don't need any heatsinking. A resistor could work too.

The Seoul P7 is essentially 4 Seoul P4s in one package. I don't think you'll need 700 lumen (a normal 2D light is around 15 lumen) so a smaller high power LED could work. Most of the higher power LEDs can run at a wide current range so you can have the LED driven at a lower level so you need less heatsinking.

Most 5mm LEDs run at 20 mA. These high power single die ones run up to 1000 mA. The Seoul P7, being a quad die LED, is rated up to 2.8 amp(can be driven higher).

LEDs are only 60% efficient at most. When they get up to higher wattage, they wil produce a good bit of heat.

Last edited:

Tachikoma

Enlightened

:welcome:
As you might have already read, you should put a diffusing lens onto it to create the same glowing effect as the movie :thumbsup:

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
Oh no, CPF sucks in another victim!

Welcome to CPF, Carlitos. This is a great forum with a lot of unusually friendly people, hope you stick around and enjoy it. Be careful though, it's hard to believe how addictive this hobby can be until you're already in the grip of its madness.

I look forward to seeing where you take this palmlight project.