Fenix P2D Mule & SunDrop

StarHalo

Flashaholic
How to make a McGizmo Mule and SunDrop from a Fenix P2D:

Our test subject, a Lighthound-supplied Rebel 100
Fenix1.jpg

and the stock nice n' smooth beam profile
FenixBeam1.jpg

Let's begin with the SunDrop, all that's required is a bit of a twist to the bezel away from the body, here's our now-unscrewed model next to a stock bolted-down P2D
Fenix3.jpg

From the top it looks like this, there's the LED way down in there
Fenix4.jpg

And here's the profile, profoundly SunDrop-esque; it has a weird cross/x-shaped artifact in the center, but aside from that, it's a beautifully even and well-defined "orb"
FenixBeam2.jpg

Now on to the Mule; just unscrew the bezel completely off
Fenix2.jpg

And the result, a whole lot of light everywhere, no profile to speak of
FenixBeam3.jpg

Not bad for a $60 light :p Of course it's no McGizmo, the Rebel has "pretty good" color rendering, but it's no High-CRI titanium masterpiece - Though if you've ever wondered what it might be like to own one, a little bit of alteration to your Fenix could provide some entertainment..

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Actually, I have a P1D with a loose bezel (not my doing, it was born that way) so every now and then when I try to turn it off, I get a mule whether I want it or not!

I could seal it up. but every now and then an accidental mule comes in handy.

I haven't tried "focusing" it as you have. Interesting.

paulr

Flashaholic
On my P1CE the head unscrews without any fuss, similarly with my titanium Peak Pacific. I also have an HA Pacific whose head is assembled somewhat differently. I don't remember if I ever tried opening it and I don't have it here with me right now, but I'll try later. Both of these IMO would be nicer candidates for this mod than the P2D.