Looking for drop-in for Mag 6 D cell

Ray1968

Newly Enlightened
I've got this monstrous 6 D cell mag lite that's been sitting around for a good 10 years. I've never messed with these LED drop-ins before, but figure what the heck, why not try one.

Is there one out there for this light at a some-what decent price?

Thanks for any help.

Ray1968

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. That one thread pretty much covers it all obviously. I just didn't come across it.

Thanks again.

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
Dollar for dollar, lumen for lumens it the Terralux TLE-300 without a doubt.

Check this thread out: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201059

I got mine just a few days ago and its the best buy I found and I tried several dropin from Terralux and Mag-lite. I use it on a 5 D cell and it turns out 500 lumens plus and its a no-hassle drop in that will run 3 hours plus. Its cost about the same as the Malkoff and has twice the output.

kurni

Enlightened
Hi,

I was in the exact situation when I joined this forum. To me, it was like a point of no return, $ has been flying out my wallet since then.

I had 6D as well, and to start I wanted a drop in only to realise that none of them (except makloff) has proper heatsinking. To cut long story short, you are sacrificing LED lifespan or output if you don't heatsink properly.

I decided to do a simple mod instead and rather than being dissapointed with the dropin (except malkoff). I used HAIII heatsink, the best LED for M@g reflectors (although not the brightest), and the simplest driver. Admittedly more work, but a lot more satisfying than any drop-in (except malkoff).

:p I don't mean to bring the thread to another direction; I'm just sharing my deja vu. The bottomline is, if I bought any dropin other than malkoff, I would have been disappointed. Malkoff dropin was out of stock, so I decided to do the simple mod instead.

I hope I didn't confuse you, and :welcome:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in the same situation. I had a 20 year old Mag 6D that got no use. At the time, about one year ago, there were no high powered upgrades for an OLD 6D. I went the TLE-6EX route. The first one was defective. It put out a very low level of blue light about 60 seconds after startup. I returned it for a replacement and it was fine. You have to be very careful when installing it initially. I also installed a LDF lens I had already. The light diffusing lens now puts out a very smooth flood beam but kills the throw. I haven't used it too much as it is light for power outages and such. The brightness is more than adequate for use in a very dark environment. It will give at least 20 hours at max level brightness. For the price, I think it is a good upgrade if you have an OLD 6D.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I would go the route kurni went. I tried the TLE and it was.....unsatisfactory.

I guess I'm middle of the road on this one. My TLE-300 is in a 4D Maglite. TerraLux fixed what I consider to be the main issue with this drop-in.... its somewhat fragile construction. The current version features a black support-disk that anchors each LED in place. Far less fragile. The biggest downside now is that the lens rattles a bit. This can get annoying.

I don't use the light on a regular basis, and would likely use a different one anyway; due to the slight rattle.

But if you can live with that downside, it's a very cost-effective drop-in.

The 300 designation is also spot-on.... That's what the light puts out, out the front. About 300 lumens.

Ray1968

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I was in the exact situation when I joined this forum. To me, it was like a point of no return, $ has been flying out my wallet since then.

I had 6D as well, and to start I wanted a drop in only to realise that none of them (except makloff) has proper heatsinking. To cut long story short, you are sacrificing LED lifespan or output if you don't heatsink properly.

I decided to do a simple mod instead and rather than being dissapointed with the dropin (except malkoff). I used HAIII heatsink, the best LED for M@g reflectors (although not the brightest), and the simplest driver. Admittedly more work, but a lot more satisfying than any drop-in (except malkoff).

:p I don't mean to bring the thread to another direction; I'm just sharing my deja vu. The bottomline is, if I bought any dropin other than malkoff, I would have been disappointed. Malkoff dropin was out of stock, so I decided to do the simple mod instead.

I hope I didn't confuse you, and :welcome:

I've already purchased the TLE-300, but if I'm not happy with it I may try this. One thing I'm not sure of though....the pic of that driver shows some wires coming out the back - what do they hook up to?

kurni

Enlightened
I've already purchased the TLE-300, but if I'm not happy with it I may try this. One thing I'm not sure of though....the pic of that driver shows some wires coming out the back - what do they hook up to?

More info sent through PM :)
Regards,
Kurni