A small 123/LS light (Long/pics)

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
My Director of 14 years at work announced he is retiring. I suggested to my machinist that we could make him a unique retirement gift- a custom, hi-tech flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif in our usual gold and black ano we use for the production equipment we build. Well, word got out and others wanted one too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . I sketched-up an about as small as practical 123 LS design, and ordered some 3/4" 7075T6 and alloy 145 copper bar. ($Ouch!$) For the driver electronics, I chose the LEDynamics MicroPuck, primarily, because I had several and the long run time they offer on a 123. (Wayne/dat2zip's boards are a much better formfactor, and would reduce the O.A.L. by about .1" but I had several pucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

site1012.JPG

We made the pieces in our "spare" time. The LSs get epoxied to the copper midsection:

site1008.JPG

For a + battery contact, I made brass pieces which press over the pucks:

site1009.JPG

The assemblies are a tight fit, and get potted when done. For the neg battery connection, I cut a .010" W. slot with a slitting saw and staked the puck's lead into it. Soldering the leads to the LS was accompanied by a few cussy-darns:

site1010.JPG

We made a punch to make the lens gaskets from .030" clear silicone rubber sheet, and it is almost invisible. Threads are 11/16-24. DL123s drop in, but SF123s some little pinky assistance, and 2-3 taps dislodge them. The neg bat contact is a #2-56 round head, slotted (bifurcated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) mach. screw, located .025" off axis to provide some "wipe" during make:

site1011.JPG

Some lessons learned. HA is a PITA! The anodize run included both 7075 and 6061 parts. The 7075 guys came out kind of a light gray and the 61 parts had the greenish "OD" cast I prefer. Wierd thing is last night I did an hour and a half run on one to see how hot it was going to get, while holding it and shining it around (heat's no problem- warm not hot) and this morning, that light's ano has turned green! I guess from a combo of heat and skin oils?? I like it! Edit: (Thanks Roth) the optics are NX-05s, turned down to .650" dia, and shortened from the front to .375". Actual front aperature is .575" dia.

Another edit: The crummy pic above doesn't show the glass lens and its gasket very well. The gasket ring drops into the bezel, followed by the lens and then the optic. The bezel O-ring is major squeeze, so no "Loctite" is required.

Larry

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hi Bowser,
I knew somebody was going to ask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . I will end up with 2 or 3 but have no plans to sell one at this time. I would be honored to donate one to the CPF for auction,though. (Admins?)

Larry

moses

Enlightened
Whoo....its official and public now!

Just awesome. In my mind, there's no question that this is now THE STATE OF ART in single 123 design, regardless of whether it is incandescent or LED. (WOrth nothing that this is not some low powered luxeon mod. It is a full powered 1 watt luxeon with the micropuck.) The amazing thing is that Larry did this whole run in his 'spare time'. I'm just blown away by the teeny size of these things from the first time Larry mentioned them. Imagine - a 123 luxeon in all its glory, smaller than the Infinity. And the material - aluminium, copper, brass...all used to maximize the material's strengths.

I'm sure this thread will get long in a hurry. My thoughts are that Larry should go into manufacturing these beauties.

WHooooo!!!

Mo

ps: Assuming that this is Larry's first attempt at making a full light. Can anyone imagine what amazing stuff the second attempt will produce?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Joel,
As to full run time, maybe somebody else has been there/done that with a MicroPuck/123. I *think* its about 3 hours before serious "moon mode" sets in. Beamshot? maybe tonight. I have a BB500 MM I could compare one to.

Moses,
Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now don't you dare spill the beans on the one and two-cell CR2 projects /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Larry

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both "sick" and "slick" at the same time, maybe Larry should look into selling the liscensing to a major player or jobbing it out. I would definitely pay good dinero for a 1x123 LS light this small. Can't wait to see the beam picts! I'm sure CPF members would buy into a venture on a light like this. I know I would.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
If these ever get made this would be the ultimate hiking light for me. I could hang one off each shoulder strap of my pack. Pleeeease consider making a bunch of these, maybe as a build to order format like the McLux, I am sure you could sell a bunch and the people are very generous in allowing plenty of build time. Great job.

ChrisA

Enlightened
that's sooooo cool ! larry don't tease us with those damn fine pics and then tell us that they won't go into production /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

chris

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow!

small!

bright!

attractive!

btw, i'm guessing you modified the optics? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
tvodrd,

Yup, like Rick, please allow me to add my own, "PAYPAL SENT"!!!

It is the first time I have posted this to a mod thread; I can think of no greater compliment...

I'd really like to have one if you make more!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been holding back on buying any more luxeon lights (other than the Micro Illuminator that I'm really chomping at the bit to get...), because the new stuff is coming out at such a feverish pace, that I'm afraid that I'm going to spend a bunch of money on some things that I'm just not going to be satisfied with 3 months down the road. But this is just TOO MUCH!!! It has everything I've been looking for in a luxeon light...especially the size factor. That thing is absolutely beautiful! If you ever do decide to make a production run, I'll be on the band-wagon for this one!!!

Let me echo Sigman and Mr. Bulk...PAYPAL SENT!

PJD

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
That has got to be one of the sweetest designs and best engineered lights ever. Congratulations on achieving such a high level of excellence.