• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired The Aeon - Hardcoat Aluminum

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Folks,

After a good long while of this project being in the works in the background it's finally ready for release. :)

2606255127_1ce145a019.jpg

(From Left to Right Type II Red, Natural & Blue Hardcoat)

Ever since I stopped making CR2 Ions years ago I've had people approach me asking me to design a new version of it, and finally there's a version that will be more generally available to the masses. The Aeon is my latest flashlight, previously offered only in Titanium, and now in hardcoat aluminum. It is in essence a miniaturized Nautilus, using every feature native to that light, but in a smaller form factor and equipped with a sapphire lens, all the while being in a form factor that's similar to the old CR2 Ion. That is to say, you're looking at a fully regulated dual-stage converter, parabolic reflector for longer distance illumination, hardcoat anodizing with ChemKoted interior for enhanced corrosion resistance etc.

The Aeon (pronounced E-on) is, in few words, practical. I took the Nautilus flashlight and compressed it into the size of the old CR2 Ion, combining the features that you all liked the most about both flashlights and adding a few tweaks here and there to make a light that is minimally small, bright enough to pick out objects a good distance away, and durable. For those of you who have requested a small light with a fair amount of throw, I suspect you will like the Aeon a good bit.

All the usual features are present – a fully regulated dual-stage converter, parabolic reflector for longer distance illumination, keyring with tailstanding ability, O-Ring seals at all junctions, the best LEDs on the market (R2 WH Cree XR-E), and an ultra-small form factor. The Aeon also sports a lens made from sapphire to provide the best possible strength and durability and resistance against scratching. A full list of features is included below:

Sapphire Window for the Ultimate in Durability
Parabolic Reflector for Long Distance Illumination
R2 Flux Bin CREE XR-E XLamp® LED – 114 Lumens Minimum Output
6061-T6 Aluminum Construction with Brass Innards
MilSpec Type III Anodizing
Chemkote Interior for Enhanced Corrosion Resistance
O-Ring Seals at All Junctions – Weatherproof
Gold Plated Circuit Contacts
18.5mm in Diameter by 55mm Short
1.5 Ounces / 43 Grams Weight
Fully Regulated; 1:30 Runtime on High Mode, 40 Hour Runtime on Low Mode off a Single CR2 Cell

Ever since my old website was closed down, I've had many folks ask for a new one to be made for better ease of ordering rather than having to manually input all order information in PayPal, and I'm happy to report that I've got a new one up and running for you guys – www.muyshondt.net

The Aeon specifically is available at www.muyshondt.net/aeon.shtml and there are plenty more pictures on the pages of the site itself.

In the coming weeks I'll be adding a few new products to the site, the ME-L100 Lubricant mentioned in the instructions that's used in the lights, some very nice paracord lanyards, along with a few other things that go along with the lights.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the way the new Aeon has turned out and think you all will be as well. But, my opinion is fairly biased, and of more importance are the reviews of those who have a light already! :nana: Here's a link with a review of the early Aeon:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195649
The old Titanium Aeon Thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198005

And a few people have already received an aluminum Aeon for evaluation and will probably post their thoughts on the light here sometime soon.

If you all have any questions please post here or PM me, or send me an e-mail at [email protected].

Thanks folks!

-Enrique

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
a few people have already received an aluminum Aeon for evaluation
I'm one of the lucky ones:D

The aluminum Aeon has been in my right pocket ever since arriving ten days ago. No, there were no keys & no loose coins to scuff it up ... but it has gone in & out of that pocket well over 100 times, and there isn't one bit of wear on the Type III anodizing.

Here's a photo for size comparison. Nautilus on top, Ion middle, Aeon on bottom:

Aeon2.jpg

The Aeon is close in size (identical?) to the Ion, which is to say quite small. But the knurling is grippy enough so that only one hand is needed to bring up either low or high beam. The knurling is also smooth enough that it does not catch on the lining of a pant pocket.

aeon5.jpg

aeon6.jpg

The scale tells a clear story about the small size. But size is only one factor - ergonomics (to me) is at least as important. In that area, it scores 100%. Big enough to easily grip & twist with one hand, small & light enough that it's easy to lip hold. The low setting is nice & floody with a hotspot that softly transitions to spill. High is remarkably bright - my light sphere showed slightly higher readings for the Aeon compared to the Nautilus.

Beamshots are near identical (Nautilus on left, Aeon on right) at 10' from a white garage door:

aeon9.jpg

Beam spread & brightness of the two are nearly identical.

I find it interesting that the Aeon is often the light I reach for, even though a pair of McGizmo's are clipped inside the chest pocket of my bibs. Without a clip, the Aeon is quickly brought to bear, and just as quickly dropped back into the pocket.

Quality of construction & finish is typical Muyshondt, which is to say awesome. As the photos show, anodizing is uniform in color on both the head & the body. Machine work, both outside & inside, is flawless. The twist action is smooth, having just enough resistance that the light will not activate accidentally.

For not much more money than many mass produced lights, the Aeon scores high on value. It's a keeper:thumbsup:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Enrique was kind enough to ask me to try one of these out, as long as I promised to mail it back to him! :crackup:

There isnt much I can say about the light that hasnt been said about the Ti Aeon.

I will say this, after having the HA III Aeon for 24 hours, I bought one in Ti from Enrique. Nothing against the Aluminum, I just like this light alot, had to have it in Ti. That in its self says alot about this light! I am thinking about keeping this Aluminum one for myself too. :naughty:

Both the Ti and HA Aeon come in a impressive tubular holder with complete instructions and details about the light. Which is funny, because the interface is easy, turn it clockwise, it comes on dim, keep turning clockwise for high. Good stuff, nice and easy.

The Hardcoat Aeon is a few grams lighter than the Ti cousin, this is a guess as I dont have a scale.

The anodizing on this Aeon is excellent, the head and body also have that nice knurl, it grips, but doesnt rip pockets.....

The thing about the Aeon is this, it really is a mini Nautilus. The beam pattern is about the same. (See pic Below) The R2 has a warmer tint than my Ti Nautilus.

I have only run my Aeon for about 8 minutes on high. It got warm, but not hot. I think 8 minutes is enough time for anylight to get up to maximum heat. My Ti Aeon has rode on my keys since I got it. It is a confidence booster IMO to have a light of this quality on my keys. It is not noticable in my pocket with my keys. With the Aeon on my keys, I only EDC a light at night, not during the day. The Aeon tackles all daytime lighting needs, and 95% of night time needs. It really is a big midget! :twothumbs

My only gripe is I wish there was a milled tritium slot, it would make a great keychain finder in the dark. You could epoxy one against the lug, but I like my trit clean.

So if you want big light out of a mini-light, this choice is right. :thumbsup:

PICS:
Aeon001.jpg

Aeon004.jpg

Aeon006.jpg

Aeon007.jpg

In hand shots:
Aeon008.jpg

Aeon009.jpg

Nautilus left, Aeon right:
Aeon011.jpg

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent :thumbsup: . Have been looking to replace the H50-Q5 on my keyring (the UI has become annoying and I have no use for flood in my applications). Was considering either an EX10, or Arc6, but the Aeon appears to fit the bill just a bit better as a keychain EDC :) . I have an erroneous AmEx chargeback dispute with PayPal to clear, until then (five business days), I will not be able to send funds for an HAIII Aeon :thumbsdow . Quick question: Can the emitter be upgraded in the future by returning the head for a swap?

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see a red Aeon on the top part of the webpage...Are there colors in our future like the old Ion?? :thumbsup:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone. :)

adamlau: No, I have no plans to offer any form of "upgrade" service, as usual these lights are not designed to be used as modder fodder. Good luck with your negotiations with PayPal!

Cuso: I didn't make much in the way of colors this time around, but at some point in the next few weeks I may release a couple of them. :)

Take care folks.

-Enrique

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aeon Hardcoat (ME-AF1-HC) = $199.00
Priority Shipping = $11.00
Aeon Hardcoat TOTAL = $210.00
:paypal:Transaction ID: 32581479G7775461X

The torture test did it for me. I had to have it, used a secondary PayPal account and now I can sleep easy tonight :sleepy: ....

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
HoopleHead: I wouldn't call a torture test nice, in the standard sense of the word. ;) There was no sympathy given to that Aeon, and despite repeated impacts nothing happened to it that compromised function; it's a tough little light.

AndyTieDye: I am not selling any special colored versions at present; the main reason the photo above has the blue in it is to provide proper contrast between the other colors so you can accurately see the differences between natural, black, and blue. The Natural coloration turned out fairly dark this time and without a more "vibrant" color to contrast the camera was having a hard time getting a good, accurate shot. I may have some colored ones available a few weeks down the line and will put them on the website and post here whenever that happens.

All lights ordered up until 3PM today will be going out in today's mail folks.

Thanks folks!

-Enrique

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Folks,

All orders placed to date have shipped out this afternoon.

To those who ordered before Tuesday, I offer a sincere apology for the delay in getting the light out to you, I unexpectedly had to go out of town Tuesday night which required some quick changes in plans. I brought a bunch of Aeons with me and went out and purchased some shipping supplies and grabbed some boxes at the local post office early this morning to get these out to you guys, you should be seeing them soon. Everything's running smoothly now and any orders placed from here on out will make their way out the door promptly.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys think of the lights once they arrive.

Take care folks.

-Enrique

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Aeon - Hardcoat Aluminum (Colors Posted)

Hey Folks,

I hope all of you have a safe and happy Fourth of July weekend if you're in the states, and a good weekend to all those otherwise. :D

Due to several requests I have posted on my website (http://www.muyshondt.net/aeon.shtml) the colored Aeons in Blue Hardcoat, and Pink & Red Type II Anodizing - there is a one week lead time on those and they will be shipping no later than Friday the 11th.

2606255127_1ce145a019.jpg

(Red, Natural, Blue)

2597704793_35ae8a7187.jpg

(Red, Pink)

And a bit of size reference :) :
2597704089_2eb576e0a3.jpg

-Enrique

carrot

Flashaholic

If you make ones with conic reflectors like the old CR2 Ion I'll find the money for one in no time! Love that floody light.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you make ones with conic reflectors like the old CR2 Ion I'll find the money for one in no time! Love that floody light.

Ditto this - a pure but concentrated flood light with the power and tint of R2 Cree's - wowza! =)

Enrique, how does the Type 2 red/pink anodize compare to the red, lime, etc. HA you had before?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Cool beamshots, PSM. I find the Aeon & Nautilus beams are almost identical, but have not measured the current draw on the Nautilus.

The McLux PD looks like a giant compared to the Aeon:wow: