NiteCore Smart PD D10 1AA Review

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the NiteCore Smart PD D10 1AA from the Fenix Store.

Shipping is the usual fast 3 days to Socal.

My box was slightly crushed during shipping and the clear window showing the light on the box came off but who cares about the box just so long the light wasn't damaged.

Cost $54.28

I won't explain how to use the UI. There is an excellent video by 4sevens explaining the very east UI IMO. You Tube Link. I like this the D10's UI over the Defender's UI. It's more easier to use.

Uses a Cree XRE Q5. My light has a very nice and white beam. The beam has slight ring around the hot spot but not as pronounced as the NiteCore Defender I have.

The D10 can use 1AA Alkalines or Lithium Rechargeable 14500's. My black AW"s Protected 14500 fit with no problems.

The finish is excellent. There is a very slight mis-match of the Type III Hard Anodize between the Lens Bezel Assembly and the Battery Tube. I give the grade A-. The Mis-match of the Type II Hard Anodize does not bother me.

I really like the knurling on the D10, has very good grip. The only drawback is no anti-roll feature.

The fit is excellent. Threads are smooth and the o-rings came lubed.

The rear clickie is on the hard side to push. It 's a Forward Clickie. It uses the Licensed PD Piston System from "McGizmo".

Comes with a lanyard, 2 o-rings, instructions and a Warranty Card.

ND10003Small.jpg

ND10004Small.jpg

ND10005Small.jpg

ND10006Small.jpg

ND10007Small.jpg

Uses a Cree XRE Q5.

ND10017Small.jpg

ND10016Small.jpg

Rear of the Cree Q5 Module.

ND10020Small.jpg

Inside view of the Battery Tube.

ND10Small.jpg

Rear Forward Clickie. Uses the Licensed PD Piston System from "McGizmo".

ND10027Small.jpg

ND10026Small.jpg

ND10001Small.jpg

ND10002Small.jpg

------------------------------

Size comparisons.

Left, NiteCore Smart PD D10 1AA. Right, NiteCore Defender 1AA

ND10021Small.jpg

Left, NiteCore Smart PD D10 1AA. Right, NiteCore Defender 1AA

ND10029Small.jpg

---------------------------------------------

I also took lux readings of the lights above. These are the lux readings I got. I am using a Meterman LM631 Light Meter measured at 1 meter. I waited 2 minutes before taking the readings. I am using AW's Protected 14500 in both lights.

DBS028Small.jpg

NiteCore Smart PD D10 1AA 14500 - 2060 lux @ 1 meter

Nitecore Defender Infinity 1AA 14500 - 1960 lux @ 1 meter

----------------------------------

NiteCore Smart PD D10 1AA 14500 @ 90"

ND10030Small.jpg

Nitecore Defender Infinity 1AA 14500 @ 90"

ND10031Small.jpg

Left, NiteCore Smart PD D10 1AA 14500. Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity 1AA 14500

ND10032Small.jpg

Left, NiteCore Smart PD D10 1AA 14500. Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity 1AA 14500 Stepped down exposure

ND10033Small.jpg

ND10034Small.jpg

NiteCore Smart PD D10 1AA 14500 @ 32'

ND10037Small.jpg

Nitecore Defender Infinity 1AA 14500 @ 32'

ND10038Small.jpg

Last edited:

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Thanks for the review ... I like the "High Quality Flashlight" graphics ... :p

We all know it's a high quality flashlight ... I guess they still have to drill it into the brains of non-enthuasiasts to remind them it's not your garden-store variety light.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
As always - nice pictures and review! I'm enjoying my light and think it is very nicely built. Seems like Nitecore has got a good batch of emitters for thier lights from what most have posted. I think 4-7's said they paid a premium for them. Mine is very nice and white.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice evaluation.:twothumbs

At the risk of being labeled a fanboy or other such lame titles by interweb flamers, I would like to add that another important feature, if not the most important is the Customer Service that 47 and his crew back these lights with.:thumbsup:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice evaluation.:twothumbs

At the risk of being labeled a fanboy or other such lame titles by interweb flamers, I would like to add that another important feature, if not the most important is the Customer Service that 47 and his crew back these lights with.:thumbsup:

That is what makes buying any light from Fenix-store so easy, peace of mind.:thumbsup:

Ernsanada,

Is that a card that says Nitecore or is it a sticker?

ibcj

Enlightened
Nice work on the pictures. Your detailed and many pictures are appreciated. It's nice when I'm researching a light and come across one of your reviews. I know the pics will be great.

1dash1

Enlightened
Fallingwater:

None of the product descriptions nor any of the reviews that I've read mentions anything about a low-voltage alert for the D10 or EX10.

And I'd tend to believe that there is none, based on numerous complaints about how inconsistent the NDI's low-voltage alert was/is. :sick:

monk

Newly Enlightened
What performance to expect with NiMh AA's Vs. Alkaline? Is the light designed to perform best with Alkalines (needs/likes the slightly higher 1.5v instead of 1.2v?)

Thanks

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks ernie for getting one of the first 'official' reviews done. Nice pics as always! I'll add one little thing I found here. I wiped off the main threads quickly and found a bluish paste like lube. I replaced that with a liquid PTFE from Rat shack and it went from fairly hard to turn the head to super easy to turn. I didn't really see any lube on the O-ring and that got some of the PTFE also. I'm wondering how things would work with some of this applied to the Piston drive O-ring? It might or might not be a good thing - maybe the PD needs to be a bit stiff to keep from accidental activation ? Not sure but I think I'll end up trying that on it.

d1dd1

Enlightened
Thanks for the review :thumbsup:

Any idea how to remove pill & reflector or what "special tool" is needed ?

Thanks