Streamlight Survivor beam quality with CREE emmiter

wechnivag

Newly Enlightened
I came across the survivor LED reflector and bezel assy going for a good price from brightguy: http://www.brightguy.com/products/Survivor_LED_Bezel_Lens_Assembly.php

It would make a good reflector for a custom built light.

Was wondering if anyone has tried the beam of this reflector using a CREE emitter? I have modded one with a SSCP4 previously, it retains the original beam pattern of a primary hotspot, with a secondary hotspot blending into the spill.

I was hoping it could give the a distinct hotspot that is characteristic of the CREE throwers when used with a CREE emitter.:twothumbs

Cheers!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, you should get the Cree ring like other lights that use a Cree with a normal smooth reflector.

Guessing at the size, you should get similar throw to the Cree thrower type lights.

wechnivag

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, i thought that too. Would be great if there is someone out there who has tried it can share some insights. After all, i'm thinking of building a light from scratch around this reflector..

There might be an issue with the CREE emitter position, the SSCP4 and LUX 3 dies are raised up higher compared to the CREE. Might have to take some material off the end of the reflector to get a good focus.

:poke::poke::poke:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the ring is from the metal ring on the Cree XR-E LED. The ring reflects some light from the LED and since that light isn't directly from the die, it would cause an artifact which in this case is a ring.