New SF M2 Bezel and LED Drop-In.... OK to use?

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Is the current style of SF M2 bezel ok to use with any of the current high power LED drop-in modules? I am considering getting an M2 bezel, as I like the look of it, but wondered about the heat and the shock absorbing foam, would there be a problem with this?

I see from Surefire's website, that the P60L drop in is available as an optional extra, so it must be ok for the 'standard' rated drop ins at least.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The shock-isolated bezel of the M2 may serve to trap more heat within the head than other D26 bezels, but I gather existing thermal pathways are of greater influence (i.e. you hand serving as a heatsink, external ambient temperatures). The use of Malkoff drop-ins will require the use of a fitting ring to ensure a proper electrical contact connection.

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
From observing the thermal behavior of my C2 with M60, the body serves as the primary heatsink, not the head. At least for the M60, the drop-in's body is 90 percent sunk into the body of the light and there's very little gap between it and the tube, so most of the heat gets transfered to the body instead of the head.

The P60l has thermal protection, as the module heats up it will automatically decrease output to prevent overheating. It's also FAR dimmer than the full power Q5/R2 aftermarket dropins. Here's some beamshots with a P60L and M60 (240 emitter lumens, should be similar in brightness to other max-output p60 dropins)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199271

loszabo

Enlightened
Is the current style of SF M2 bezel ok to use with any of the current high power LED drop-in modules? I am considering getting an M2 bezel, as I like the look of it, but wondered about the heat and the shock absorbing foam, would there be a problem with this?

I see from Surefire's website, that the P60L drop in is available as an optional extra, so it must be ok for the 'standard' rated drop ins at least.

YES. :thumbsup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
M-series heads are not the best when it comes to heat dissipation. With inca. lamps, that's not an issue since heat doesn't bother inca. bulbs. If you drop an inca. light, you run the risk of breaking the filament. The M-series head helps to prevent that.

With an LED, heat does become an issue. But dropping the light is no problem since the LED needs no shock insulation to keep on working.

M-series heads were made with inca. lamps in mind. You can put an LED drop-in into an M2, but it's not the ideal light for use with an LED.

loszabo

Enlightened
Uhm, I'm the new guy here. Okay... But...

According to SureFire: "Millennium Universal System WeaponLights can be fitted with high-output or ultra high-output lamps and come in three different reflector sizes (indicated by bezel diameter), providing a range of lumen outputs, runtimes, and beam characteristics to meet your specific needs. They can be converted to an LED WeaponLight system by replacing the incandescent head with an optional KL9 LED head or dropping in a P60L or P61L LED assembly."

From this I understand that WeaponLights work with P60L as well.

So, I assume that the M2 with P60L is no problem...?

Or, am I wrong? :thinking:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
None whatsoever, heck, you can probably run the P60L encased in styrofoam if you want due to the thermal regulation it has. As far as I know the M2 is the only millenium series light to work with a P60 module, the M3 and above use a different tower style lamp.