NEW Lowes Task Force 3W "CREE" 2C 150+ lumens (Part 3)

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I actually just bought a Dorcy (Yes...a Dorcy!!:grin2:) light at Sears that not only out throws this light, but out shines it as well (better spill). It is $50.00, but is made a lot better in my opinion!! Now back to the channel we all have been watching......;)

Mike

Highbeam101

Newly Enlightened
I actually just bought a Dorcy (Yes...a Dorcy!!:grin2:) light at Sears that not only out throws this light, but out shines it as well (better spill). It is $50.00, but is made a lot better in my opinion!! Now back to the channel we all have been watching......;)

Mike
When you start getting past fifty dollars you might want to look at better lights. I hear you can get a tiablo A9 for 55.00. with the money you spent on the taskforce and the dorcey, you could have had a DBS v2, one of the best throwers out there!

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you start getting past fifty dollars you might want to look at better lights. I hear you can get a tiablo A9 for 55.00. with the money you spent on the taskforce and the dorcey, you could have had a DBS v2, one of the best throwers out there!

True! But I did not have a light like this Dorcy and it was right there in Sears staring at me!! I could not resist!!:) The build quality of the light really surprised me! I have a Tiablo A9 and the one you are reffering to is available from an off shore vendor. I prefer to buy from US sources. I will have to look at the DBS v2. I have a Derelight now and I really like it. Thanks!

Mike

sawlight

Enlightened
Who would have thought a cheap light would have sparked so much interest?

TDKKP

Enlightened
Originally Posted by mikekoz

Mike

I saw your post about the Dorcy too. IMO:

- It's more than double the price (in case you have a $10 off coupon) or almost double if you don't have the coupon so TF is a much better value.

- I can easily let anyone borrow my TF, $19.90 after coupon, but if I have $50 Dorcy light I might think about it a little.

- Task Force has a Lifetime Warranty at Lowes, so if anything happens you can exchange for a new one.

- The Dorcy outthrows the TF on your review, did you try 18650 in your TF to compare? TF with 18650 is about 25% more output.

+1 for the A9, it's still the best LED thrower for me and I have 3 of them. And compare the $55 A9, remember this price is from $120 or so before, to the $125 DBS I prefer A9 even I really want a DBS V2. In real life DBS is not much better throw than A9 per some reviews.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're thinking of replacing the optic, it's the wrong light. The optic is what makes this light great,

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Can someone post the coupon link again, I think I'll head up and get my 2nd one of these @ $19.95 batteries included it just to good for me not to get another.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait if I use 18650s I should get 25% more power:eek:? How bad is this for the LED and will this be any brighter then just swapping the LED with a Q5 running on normal Alkalines, how long is the run time? / what about running on 18650s and having the Q5:drool: and lastly do you only use one of these cells? sorry for so many questions:whistle:.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait if I use 18650s I should get 25% more power:eek:? How bad is this for the LED and will this be any brighter then just swapping the LED with a Q5 running on normal Alkalines, how long is the run time? / what about running on 18650s and having the Q5:drool: and lastly do you only use one of these cells? sorry for so many questions:whistle:.

I'm running mine on a Q5 and 18650. It makes the stock setup look puny, sending ~1A to the emitter.

fangle

Newly Enlightened
I'm running mine on a Q5 and 18650. It makes the stock setup look puny, sending ~1A to the emitter.

Stock driver, wire, and switch? Trying to confirm that the driver is OK with the change.

Thanks!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only things I changed were batteries, emitter and switch (Because I broke it in an earlier experiment- the stock one is fine)

Radiophile

Enlightened
NiMH will also get you noticeably better output. I was pleasantly surprised when I swapped out the alkaline Cs that came with it for a pair of Eneloop AAs in adapters. As many others here have stated you must modify the spring on the head end to get them to work, but then they work great!

I don't have a meter, but I'd estimate the gain at 25% or better to my eyes. I tried a pair of new alkaline Cs just to make sure the pair that came with the light weren't worn - the output was the same.

I'm currently looking for a deal on LSD NiMH C cells so I can enjoy the extra output longer than the AAs can last on a single charge.

grrickar

Newly Enlightened
Long thread LOL

So is there any definitive way to figure out if the closest Lowes has the Cree version? I search on SKU number it shows my store as having one, but the desciption still lists the Luxeon model. I'd rather not drive there and have to visually check :shakehead

I think this thing could replace the River Rock 2C LED flashy in the tail section of my sportbike. I like 2C lights, I guess it is just the size of them. D cell flashlights seem to be too big, but I like the runtime ;)

Speaking of River Rock, I wonder why they are not coming out with any new offerings? They seem to be made decently at least.

grrickar

Newly Enlightened
I used the coupon and got one of these. The machining it sort of rough as others have stated (watch for snags if/when you unscrew the optic), but the light gives a decent throw and color and easily trounces my stock 3D LED Mag. Pretty impressive considering it is a much smaller light.

Has anyone tested the output over time on this light? For $20, I am impressed. For a few bucks more you could put in a Cree Q5 and likely get a bit more output.