LiteFlux LF5XT - the ultimate AA light? (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's July 1, any updates from Khoo? Are these lights shipping again?

Now that I have my NiteCore D10 on the way from 4Sevens, I'm turning back some attention to this light as well. Want to get more details on this light!!!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I got a shipping notice yesterday and per the CPFM thread he has enough now to fill all orders. They should be all out by today or tomorrow I think if yours hasn't already gone out.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I got a shipping notice yesterday and per the CPFM thread he has enough now to fill all orders. They should be all out by today or tomorrow I think if yours hasn't already gone out.
Thanks, I haven't ordered one yet. When you get yours please post pics and details.

clintb

Enlightened
Thanks, I haven't ordered one yet. When you get yours please post pics and details.
Don't think about it, just order. Really, it's that good.

If you're not put off by the seemingly complicated UI (it's not), then you'll be rewarded with a light that's of exceptional build quality. The beam is gorgeous. It has memory, but not the kind I hate. Khoo calls it "turn off memory", which does just that; where you turn it off is where it comes back on. If you turn it on and back off immediately, it comes back on from where it started. There is no delay for the memory. Finally, someone gets it right! Anodizing is perfect. Lettering is perfect. The dual cigar grip is functional. LED is centered perfectly (at least on mine).

I'm impressed enough with the black that I ordered a natural.

ackbar

Enlightened
anyone else here concerned about the runtime? I've been following the hype about the UI (which I love btw, as far as I understand it anyway) but can a little concerned about the runtime when on the lower side of the scale. From the runtimes graphs at light-reviews, it shows that the light last just under 5 and a half hours @ 15%. In a SHTF senario I would like my primary EDC to be alot more efficient than that!

gunga

Flashaholic
Well, the Fenix L1D Q5 is a bit brighter on medium and only gets 4:39 hours, so I don't think it's a major deal.

The 1% mode is still pretty useful (around 3-4 lumens I estimate) so I'd figure out runtimes on that mode for survival use.

mighty82

Enlightened
It's a good little light, but it's not perfect. It's a lot of whining/flickering problems, on 100% it's screaming like crazy. The LF5XT has a very different beam from every other light I own, so it's difficult comparing it to other flashlights just like that.

It has a smaller hotspot and a brighter spill so it will look dimmer when compared to another light, even if it's really putting out more light thanks to the very bright spill. So in use you notice that you can see a lot more around the hotspot than with other flashlights. 5% on 14500 is the same total output as the low mode on my L1D, but you have to step up one level to get the same hotspot intensity.

The "%" thing doesn't seem to be accurate. I doubt 25% is exactly half of 50% and 10% is exactly the half of 20%. Also it's impossible to set it to the exact % level you want on the lower end. It can only be set to 1-2-5-11-15, it will jump to those levels no matter how you try to adjust it.

I hope some of you can understand some of what i'm saying here :eek:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just so you realize . . . .

The " % " means Percent of Current Supplied to the LED.

It does NOT mean Percent of Maximum Brightness.

Regarding run-times . . . .

On my LF5XT, with Sanyo Eneloops, perhaps a week off charger:

At 50 % setting, it lasts about 85 minutes.

At 15 % setting, it lasts about 4.2 hours.

At 2 % setting, it lasts about 14 hours.

My run-times seem to be somewhat shorter than
what's posted on Light-Reviews.

Your mileage may vary. And probably will. :D

BTW, i have " Battery Protection from Low Discharge " turned ON.

I am quite pleased with my new LiteFlux LF5XT.

Has the nicest looking Cree beam i've ever seen.

And, i can set it up to operate JUST the way i want it to work.

:twothumbs
_

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
my beauty just arrived ( about 10 minutes ago )
mine tint is on the warm side.
beam pattern almost identical to my Amilite Cuty XRE ( with McGizmo reflector ) almost like a Seoul SSC P4
Very2 nice :twothumbs
Beamshot - LF5XT on the left.

P7020004.jpg

P7020005.jpg

mighty82

Enlightened
Just so you realize . . . .

The " % " means Percent of Current Supplied to the LED.

It does NOT mean Percent of Maximum Brightness.

Regarding run-times . . . .

On my LF5XT, with Sanyo Eneloops, perhaps a week off charger:

At 50 % setting, it lasts about 85 minutes.

At 15 % setting, it lasts about 4.2 hours.

At 2 % setting, it lasts about 14 hours.
I don't think it's the percent of current to the led. Why on earth would it then last 4.2 hours on 15% and only 14 hours on 2%? Maybe they ment it to be, but it's just very inaccurate. Anyway, 14 hours on 2% is just HORRIBLY inefficient. 2% is MUCH lower than the low mode on my L1D in total output, and still it lasts longer :eek:oo:. 11% is more like the same output. Didn't they estimate 100 hours on 1%? I don't know how they were able to make a that inefficient circuit.

I love this lights beam quality, the design, the modes, about everything else. But I hate wasting power. It's like half the efficiency of my current regulated lights. :scowl:

alibaba

Enlightened
I apologize if this has been covered but I didn't make it all the way thru part 1 but how does the LF5XT's switch compare in terms of reliability with the Nitecore D10's. When I first saw that brass sleeve I thought they had borrowed the PD design but when I looked further I saw that it's quite different. Is this design still more reliable than the average (or even above average) tail clicky?

mighty82

Enlightened
I apologize if this has been covered but I didn't make it all the way thru part 1 but how does the LF5XT's switch compare in terms of reliability with the Nitecore D10's. When I first saw that brass sleeve I thought they had borrowed the PD design but when I looked further I saw that it's quite different. Is this design still more reliable than the average (or even above average) tail clicky?
It's more reliable than a normal switch, because the current doesn't go through the switch. It only sends signals.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
And, on top of that, it doesn't have any "mechanical overhead", i.e. any additional clicky retention mechanisms (forward or reverse) that could deteriorate or fail over time.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
So are they attempting to fix the flickering and buzzing?

Given how responsive the LiteFlux engineers were to feedback before releasing the light, I'm sure they are.

You make it sound like this is a blanket problem affecting all LF5XTs. Just out of curiosity: do you own the light and experience these issues, or are you basing the comment on the couple of posts in https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198193. I just don't think there are enough LF5XTs in users hands/pockets yet to say if flickering/buzzing is affecting an abnormally high number of torches. QC issues affect a certain small % of any torch release (including the expensive ones).

Faint inductor whine, which changes pitch according to brightness, is common to many torches (including high end ones). My LF5XT is no louder than any other torch I own.

I have no flickering in any mode, on any battery chemistry.

EDIT: Sorry, I read the post and it sounds bitchy when I didn't mean to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.