A personal success story

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
This probably won't be of much interest to others, but since this is the first and only forum I have ever really been involved in (and certainly the greatest) I felt if there was anywhere to share, it would be here.

On March 1st of last year, to celebrate the 1st birthday of our only daughter, my wife and I felt it was time to start a serious diet. She was still carrying weight from her pregnancy, and I had recently come from a physical from my commercial drivers license. I knew I had steadily been gaining weight, but was frankly unaware just how much. So, I was surprised to find it had creeped up to 330 lbs for me.

We chose the South Beach Diet after some internet research, and although it was a bit difficult in the beginning, we have found it a very doable way of eating, with lots of variety and some very tasty healthy meals. Even if you don't need to lose weight, our daughter eats mostly the South Beach way as well (with the exception of her french fries :) ) and some others for her.

The weight loss has pretty much capped off the last few months or so, I suppose if I want to lose more I will have to get more aggressive, but I now weigh 208 LBS. for a total for myself of 122 lbs lost. My waist has gone from a 48 to a 34. I am 6'2" and although BMI charts show my ideal weight as what I consider unreasonably low, I am thrilled with where I am. My wife has lost just under 70 lbs in the same amount of time so between us our total is over 190 lbs lost. In addition I have lowered my blood pressure, blood sugar, cholestorol (both good and bad cholestorol).

For anyone that may be considering undertaking there first or there last diet, I would heartily recomend doctor Augistine's way of eating. There will be naysayers out there, but to us we are living proof. Nearly everyone asks us how we do it, and more than one friend or family member has gone on South beach since. Some haven't had the commitment to stick with it, others have. Even if they don't have the dramatic change we did, they can expect to be healthier, and perhaps even a life changing experience.

I am not selling anything, nor do I hope to profit from this, if you wanted to try this yourself and feel as though you could use some encouragement, feel free to PM me. If we got a group of people together we could continue this thread or start a new one of each others progress.

Have a wonderful day,
Chris

BVH

Flashaholic
Holy Moley! What a GREAT! success story for both of you and your daughter! (Her parents will hopefully be around longer!) A BIGG Hearty C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am 5'9" and was 235 lb. at 20% bodyfat as recently as eighteen months ago. Dropped down to 185 lbs. at 12% bodyfat by following a very simple rule: Daily fasting. I figured if Muslims, Christians, Hindus and Buddhists could do it, so could I and I did :) . Supposedly one of the most powerful forms of personal prayer, fasting is also a great way to lose fat (note that I did not say weight). Retain muscle tension (note that I did not say muscle mass) through proper training and conditioning. This concept is advocated by a number of trainers, including Ori Hofmekler. I went by the notion of letting the Spirit fill my earthly desire to eat. Takes some getting used to, but easily done once you put your mind to it :) .

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You lost over 1/3 of your body weight. That's quite an accomplishment. I'm sure you were tired of carrying around your daughter's weight all day long.

Hopefully this effort will extend your life and you don't just get hit by a car.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well done Chris! Congratualtions to you and your wife! Hope you keep it up. It's so easy to fall back into old habits and before you know it you are back to where you were.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations!!!

I find the best way to lose weight is to lose a little, and then you find motivation to continue losing.

It's not easy to lose weight in this society we live in these days, with fast junky food and hective lives we lead.

Congrats and keep on losing!

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
CONGRATULATIONS!! That is an incredible accomplishment! You and your wife should be very proud of each other!!!

Aluminous

Enlightened
Congrats! :twothumbs Were these results just from the diet, or did you (and/or her) increase your amount of exercise too?

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats! :twothumbs Were these results just from the diet, or did you (and/or her) increase your amount of exercise too?

No set exercise program, a somewhat busy lifestyle is it, and with our energy increasing, doing more as well. But the majority of exercise comes from work, home projects and swimming.