Nitecore D10 / EX10 - Is it what you expected?

Was it what you expected? Either one.

• Total voters

Watchguy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nitecore D10 EX10 Poll

It was better. I often get disappointed by stuff that's hyped up. Not this time (or with my L0D Q4 or my L2D Q5).:D:twothumbs

I see a trend here.:laughing:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uh, what about "it's exactly what I thought it would be..."? It's a great light, I got mine yesterday. It's pretty much exactly what I thought it would be based on the hype. The reason I voted "slightly better" is that I really like the knurling and finish. It's more than I expected. Everything else is right on par. A great value!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uh, what about "it's exactly what I thought it would be..."!

+1, many of us knew just about everything about this light, so there weren't a lot of surprises. However, the light had a lower low than I expected, and it was brighter than I expected. Also the use of the smart UI when in tactical mode was a surprise. So I voted for better than I expected as it was everything I expected and more. :)

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was better. I often get disappointed by stuff that's hyped up. Not this time (or with my L0D Q4 or my L2D Q5).:D:twothumbs

I see a trend here.:laughing:
What's amazing is that this light really wasn't hyped up. It was an accidental discovery of a couple of links that generated all this mayhem.

Very very amazing and surprising!! :twothumbs

X_Marine

Enlightened
Well, looks like I should have ordered more than 1.. lol

The specs and video both look really good and with all the pos response here maybe I should have got 1/2 doz for Christmas gifts.

Anxious to receive now more than before.. :rolleyes: ')
Thanks
X/BillyD..

lnh

Newly Enlightened
It's about as I expected.

The size of the EX10 is perfect. The EX10 also fits nicely in the Fenix P1D holster.

I really like the lower low. It will become my preferred late night around the house flashlight.

I like the feature set in general, but had a little trouble mastering a fast enough double click and click hold. After a little practice it works as I command most of the time now. I expect shortly it will become second nature.

Talas

Newly Enlightened
Not as bright as my 65 lumen SF L1 and E2L but making me reconsider getting the CR123 aluminum version of SF's Titan... you've got the variable levels and there's no memory on the SF... (yeah, I know... different UI)...

marschw

Newly Enlightened
My thoughts on the D10:

I like the continuous adjustment of brightness levels, though at maximum it's not all that bright; about equal to some $15 DX CR123 lights I've used.

I find it easy to accidentally bump the switch when the light is hanging in my pocket from a lanyard and I reach for my keys.

The lack of a momentary on (without having to twist, which defeats the purpose) hurts it for me. I'd prefer a forward-clicky, or for the UI to be modified so that when you hold the button down for more than, say, 1/4 second, it decides that you only want it to be momentarily on, and thus turns off when you release.

The brightness on alkaline vs. nimh vs. 14500 is impressive; they're all pretty close. I haven't tested runtime yet.

The battery and switch contacts look quite nice, and I doubt I'll have trouble with grime any time soon. However, the spring on the negative end of the battery chamber is nearly inaccessible, so if anything happens to it, repair would be difficult.

It tail-stands quite securely, even with a lanyard attached. The holes for the lanyard are a bit far apart, however, and thicker cord may rub against or interfere with the button.

It's a bit difficult to twist open, but it's not like it's a twisty switch, so that's not very important.

How come everybody's using orange o-rings these days? If they make them in white, that'd look great on this light -- the black HAIII is dark and uniform, and a white o-ring would contrast nicely....

...but that's an awfully trivial complaint.

The knurling is good and clean. I'd prefer some kind of anti-roll, but with a lanyard installed it can rest on that.

The NiteCore logo is on the head, and the SmartPD logo is on the body, and when it's tightly closed, they don't quite line up.

The above points may be mostly negative, but I'm generally very critical. If I didn't mention it, that probably means it met or exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not as bright as my 65 lumen SF L1 and E2L but making me reconsider getting the CR123 aluminum version of SF's Titan... you've got the variable levels and there's no memory on the SF... (yeah, I know... different UI)...

It's brighter than the SF L1, it just doesn't have as much throw. The L1 has a brighter hot spot, the EX10/D10 have more total lumens, resulting in the EX10 and D10 having brighter spill than the L1.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
There was definitely hype associated with this release. It wasn't originated by the maker, but there was more hype about these lights than most. That makes it hard to be blown away by the light, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality, size and UI. Big bang for the buck.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Well hyped but IMO well worth it. Performance & price is outstanding. Too bad I can't say the same for other hyped out lights around. I absolutely love my EX-10. Haven't felt this way about any light that I've purchased lately. 47s & Nitecore did a great job on these.

Budman231

Enlightened
All in all, yes... Got the EX10 and have to say it is a very nice light. It is the closest light to "perfect" (for me) I have seen thus far. Love the Fenix P2D-R100 but wanted knurling and a lower low. This light hits a home run for both those issues.

Great Things...
1. Dimmer is awesome. Low is low. High is high and everything in between is game.
2. UI is very nice, and easy. (wish it had strobe...I like strobe)
3. Size is perfect
4. Knurling is perfect, not to agressive, not to flat.
5. No SOS
6. Piston switch is a plus

Issues I have with it (very few)...
1. NO POCKET CLIP !! In my opionin ALL EDC LIGHTS SHOULD COME WITH A POCKET CLIP !!
2. Threads are a bit gritty out of the box. With the tight O-Ring it can be stubborn to turn the head. Have to lube threads and I'm sure it will smooth out.
3. Piston is a bit hard to push down as compared to the Fenix tail switch. Not a huge thing but after playing with it a while, you finger feels the abuse.
4. Has a Cree, so there is a VERY slight ring in the beam between the hot spot and spill. Nothing to really complain about but not as "smooth" as the rebel 100.
5. Cree is also very white as compared to the Rebel 100. R100 has a more creamy color. Not sure this matters but used to the tint of the R100.

Budman

Last edited:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is much more than I expected. It is my first CR123A flashlight and I thought that it is much bigger.

rayman