Alternative to Fenix’s Red Filter?

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
Is there a better option for a red filter for the Fenix flashlights for the L1D, L2D, etc.

I have managed to break every Fenix red filter that I have bought. Black electric tape works as a temporary fix, but it is a PITA.

Thanks,

Last edited:

mwaldron

Enlightened
I've had the same problem. They really need to give up on the cheap plastic and make the filter's shell out of rubber like SF does with theirs.

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone made a custom red filter for those Fenix lights?

Maybe there is thread that show a DIY filter for the Fenix lights. I've done some searching but have not found any threads that help

pbs357

Enlightened
Talk about timing! Pulled my P3D out of the backpack last night only to find the broken red filter - and it was attached to the light! I thought keeping it on the light may help it keep it's shape and not break... no such luck. It now is held together with hockey stick tape. :sick2:

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen one but there was a video to make a diffuser for a Jetbeam.

I found the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrsjxsJ65Kg

It does give some ideas I'm really hoping to find something similar to the Surefire red filters or even the Maglite filters.

I'm pretty sure that I like my electric tape modifications to my broken Fenix filter better than I will like the use of a Large PVC coupler painted black. I may give it a try anyway, PVC is going to outlast my electric tape mod.

Still open to ideas.....

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I was thinking of buying the mag filters and trimming them down to SureFire size. Has anyone done this?

Why? because the SureFire stuff is bulky. I am not in combat and I don't need the filter to take a bullet.