My bicycle was stolen :(

serious sam

Newly Enlightened
Someone ripp off the hasp on my shed door and stole my bike :mecry:. Grrr!!! It happened today on broad daylight around 2pm! I have a twofish lock block on its handlebar, a cateye rear bikelight, an abus folding lock (which i did not use to lock my bike because i thought the door would stop anyone, dumb i know) and a cateye enduro 8 cycle computer.

I did not left my L2D on the twofish lock block. So i still have it. My ride....:(:(:(:mecry::mecry::mecry:

£$^%^%&%^&$^&!!!!

ackbar

Enlightened
I feel your pain bud. I've had 3 bikes stolen from me. 2 in the garage and one off the front porch. It really sucks. I've gotten to a point where I've ended up bringing in the bike. I figure if they are willing to B&E a residence then I've got bigger things to worry about than my bike.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my bike stolen from Chealsea Piers while I was at a Disney event. :crazy: It was chained up and everything. Seems people walk around with chain cutters. :mad: Filed a useless report and had to walk home. :sigh:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forget how many I lost as a kid. I guess I was a slow learner. I find that a good beater bike that no one would want to be caught dead on seems to work well.

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
That sucks, Sam. It goes without saying, file a police report - you never know.

My nice bikes come inside when I'm not riding them, and my commuter looks kind of fugly, and still gets 2 locks. I know it won't stop a determined thief, but I'll make them work for it.

serious sam

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had a break in, into your house just to steal your bike? Do you guys feels insecure riding a nice flashy expensive bike? Sometimes i had peoples (young lads) saying "its a ____ brand bike" and looking at the bike like temped to grab it and run while i was riding it pass them. Wonder if they will follow me and find out where i live and do bad things. :shakehead

what would you do? or suggestions?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Has anyone had a break in, into your house just to steal your bike? Do you guys feels insecure riding a nice flashy expensive bike? Sometimes i had peoples (young lads) saying "its a ____ brand bike" and looking at the bike like temped to grab it and run while i was riding it pass them. Wonder if they will follow me and find out where i live and do bad things. :shakehead

Shortly after we moved here (in 1978) we had our garage broken into and 3 of the 4 bikes were gone. They left mine, probably because it was heavily used (and looked it). Over the years my brother had two bikes stolen after chaining them up. In both cases they were gone literally minutes after he left them. His bikes had a lot of "bling", so undoubtedly that attracted thieves.

I personally only feel insecure parking a flashy bike but not riding it. I can pretty much outrun any would-be thieves unless they're in motor vehicle. I'm also keenly aware if I'm being followed, and won't ride home until I'm sure the perp is off my tail.

Unfortunately with the increasing use of bikes we're only going to see more of this kind of thing. We really need to push for the installation of secure, off-street bike parking such as bike lockers in buildings. That's the only thing which will stop this.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My bike was stolen :(

Although I haven't ridden a bicycle in many years, when I did used to; I always had the crazy idea of loosening the hardware that held the front wheel or the seat post on whenever I parked the bike. The idea was that anyone who steals the bike without knowing about the loose nuts would have it suddenly fall apart under him after riding a few feet.

:naughty::devil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcWGUxG-qYo

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My bike was stolen :(

OUCH!

I haven't had a bike nabbed for a while. My current ride is 15 yrs old and is covered with stickers. Not too appealing. I leave it unlocked most of the time. Someday it'll get taken, I'm sure. I'm probably ready for a new bike, anyway.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
In my country, bike stealing is a national sport. They will come to one town with a truck, steal a few dozen bikes, and then go and sell them in e.g. Amsterdam. I sometimes think what would happen if they would instore the laws of the Wild West which applied to horse-stealing. :devil:

Kees

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks. When I was a kid, I had a couple of bikes stolen from me, too. (not that you're a kid--I still ride bikes.) Some people just have no respect for other people's stuff. Just last week, my beautiful black Acura was vandalized and there were thick, deep (to metal) scratches put all over it, on EVERY panel. (yes, every panel...doors, hood, roof, trunk, fenders, bumpers....everywhere!) They can't be sanded and rubbed out, because they're too deep. (there's some bare metal showing on some of the scratches) They're not little scratches, either, they're long and continuous. My insurance will cover most of it, but I've still got to pay the $250 deductible for vandalism.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my bike stolen from Chealsea Piers while I was at a Disney event. :crazy: It was chained up and everything. Seems people walk around with chain cutters. :mad: Filed a useless report and had to walk home. :sigh:
sure it wasnt nypd, they had a campaign before

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is in the enclosed back garden, kept in a locked metal shed and chained to a concerete slab with a 13mm link, core hardened Datatool Python lock that cost around $250. I'm not worried about it.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Sorry to hear that your bike got lifted. I've been very fortunate to have not had one even stolen but we were taught to be careful with our things even back in the 70's when I was a kid and when crime wasn't all that bad. I ride an expensive, tricked out "flashy" bike but I'm careful when I'm out and always try to read the situation around me. If it's too high risk or I could be potentially outnumbered beyond what I could handle I will leave the situation. Obviously, much of the threat is determined by the area that you live in and I'm in an overall, low risk area. I still carry a Defender pepper spray and a good sized blade with me. I also try to be low observable when I'm leaving or arriving at my house. If there is a vehicle driving down the street that I don't recognize or have a funny feeling about, I'll note the license plate and go around the block to avoid letting a potential see where I live. I also lock the bike up inside the house and have a home security system.

P.S. I hope that you somehow get your bike back. Keep your eyes open around your hood and check some of the local bike stores. Hopefully you have some proof of ownership.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Years ago when I was still in school, I worked all summer and spent every cent I earned on parts to turn my ancient mountainbike into my dreambike. Within a month it was stolen (I was away for 5 minutes and the bike was locked with 2 locks). I was devastated, but months later, I got a call from the police that they had found my bike when they were investigating another case. The suspects were convicted for a series of muggings and car jackings. It turned out that the bike was actually used as means of escape in a robbery. But I got my bike back...
It had a few 100s $$ damage, but after working my *** off for 3 months after school, I had the means to fix everything, so I did. Unfortunately just a couple of months later, my parents shed got broken into... the only thing stolen, you guessed it, my bike...

The good side of this, because the bike was stolen from a locked shed, it was covered by my parents real estate insurance :)