MF DA1 Q5 1AA Review

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the MF DA1 Q5 1AA from Shining Beam.

Use CPFuser to get the 6% discount.

Cost $28.74. This price is the total which includes shipping.

CPFMP Sales Thread

Uses a Cree XRE Q5. My beam has a slight creme color.

The finish is bare Aluminum, no coating. My finish has some machning marks. I give the grade B. I could probably polish them out if I wanted to.

The fit is excellent. The O-rings came lubed. I give the grade A.

Glass lens and OP Reflector.

Maximum voltage is 1.5v! Cannot use Rechargeable Lithiums!

5 levels of light. Goes from high, medium, low strobe and SOS. The MF DA will remeber it's last level of light. Uses a reverse clickie with GID rear rubber tailcap installed.

Can tailstand.

Cons

Cannot use Rechargeable Lithiums, 14500.

Reverse clickie.

Pros

Remembers the last light level.

Can tailstand.

5 light levels.

Comes with extra rear rubber talicap covers, rear clickie, lanyard, 2 o-rings and 1AA Duracell Alkaline.

Comes in a nice metal box, makes a good gift box.

The MF DA1 Q5 1AA was larger than I expected.

I like that the light memorizes the last mode so you can stay away from Strobe and SOS.

If the light gets scratched just polish it out.

I think this light is a great deal for it's price. Comes with all the goodies that are included the price. Shipping is always fast.

----------------------------

Comes in this metal gift box.

MFDA1001Small.jpg

Comes with extra rear rubber talicap covers, rear clickie, lanyard, 2 o-rings and 1AA Duracell Alkaline.

MFDA1002Small.jpg

MFDA1004Small-1.jpg

MFDA1005Small.jpg

Uses a Cree XRE Q5.

MFDA1020Small.jpg

MFDA1021Small.jpg

Rear of the Cree XRE Q5 module.

MFDA1007Small.jpg

Inside view of the rear clicke.

MFDA1010Small.jpg

GITD rear switch cover.

MFDA1011Small.jpg

O-rings came lubed.

MFDA1016Small.jpg

MFDA1017Small.jpg

MFDA1006Small-1.jpg

MFDA1014Small.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

Size comparisons.

Left, MF DA1 Q5 1AA. Right, NiteCore Defender Infinity Q5 1AA.

MFDA1018Small.jpg

Left, MF DA1 Q5 1AA. Right, NiteCore Defender Infinity Q5 1AA.

MFDA1019Small.jpg

--------------------------------

I also took lux readings of the lights above. These are the lux readings I got. I am using a Meterman LM631 Light Meter measured at 1 meter. I waited 2 minutes before taking the readings. I am using Duracell 2650mAh Nimh AA Rechargeable Batteries which were fully charged.

DBS028Small.jpg

MF DA1 Q5 1AA (High) - 1430 lux @ 1 meter

MF DA1 Q5 1AA (Med) - 620 lux @ 1 meter

MF DA1 Q5 1AA (Low) - 200 lux @ 1 meter

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh - 1350 lux @ 1 meter

------------------------------

MF DA1 Q5 Nimh @ 90"

MFDA1022Small.jpg

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh @ 90"

MFDA1023Small.jpg

Left, MF DA1 Q5 Nimh @ 90". Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh @ 90"

MFDA1024Small.jpg

Left, MF DA1 Q5 Nimh @ 90". Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh @ 90" Stepped down exposure

MFDA1025Small.jpg

MF DA1 Q5 Nimh @ 32'

MFDA1026Small.jpg

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh @ 32'

MFDA1027Small.jpg

MF DA1 Q5 Nimh @ 32'

MFDA1026Small.jpg

---------------------------------

MF DA1 Q5 Nimh @32' (High)

MFDA1027Small.jpg

MF DA1 Q5 Nimh @32' (Medium)

MFDA1028Small.jpg

MF DA1 Q5 Nimh @32' (Low)

MFDA1029Small.jpg

Left, MF DA1 Q5. Right, Romisen RC-G2 Q5

MFDA1030Small.jpg

Left, MF DA1 Q5. Right, Romisen RC-G2 Q5

MFDA1031Small.jpg

-------------------------------------

I also took lux readings of the lights shown above. These are the lux readings I got. I am using a Meterman LM631 Light Meter measured at 1 meter. I waited 2 minutes before taking the readings. I am using Duracell 2650mAh nimh Batteries which were fully charged.

LBP046Small.jpg

MF DA1 Q5 1AA (High) - 1430 lux @ 1 meter

Romisen RC-G2 Q5 1AA - 1440 lux @ 1 meter

------------------------------------------------

Left, MF DA1 Q5. Right, Romisen RC-G2 Q5 @ 90"

MFDA1032Small.jpg

Left, MF DA1 Q5. Right, Romisen RC-G2 Q5 @ 90" Stepped down exposure

MFDA1033Small.jpg

MF DA1 Q5 @ 32'

MFDA1034Small.jpg

Romisen RC-G2 Q5 @ 32'

MFDA1035Small.jpg

squaat

Newly Enlightened
How come there's been no replies to this review? Looks like a great budget multilevel AA light. Exactly what I'm looking for as gifts for friends and family.

Has anyone had any real world usage of this light? if so, is it dependable enough to give someone as a "handbag" or glove box light?

If not, does anyone have any alternative budget 1AA or 2AA multimode (min two modes, low and high) suggestions? Especially any sub $20 lights?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is the ultrafire c3 q5, but ive heard its durability is very iffy.
Nice review!

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a nice looking light.

I've pretty much given up on finding an <$30 multimode single CR123A light that works well with primaries for the globebox.

I may consider this instead and use it with L91s.

ZardHex

Newly Enlightened
I've had my DA1 since late June of this year and have been carrying it in my pocket everyday since then (usually accompanied by keys, cellphone, etc)...it is surprisingly bright for running off of a single AA...the downside is that it draws almost 2A at first when a new batt is installed, so it doesnt last more than an hour or so on high mode, and is not well regulated, but you cant expect much from a single alkaline anyway...the different modes can be pretty annoying(i would just prefer a lo/med/hi setting without the stobe/sos BS:shakehead) sometimes it wont stay in the mode it was in before previous use(i'm pretty sure other lights using the same driver suffer the same problem) ....its fairly durable (survived a couple 3-4ft falls to the concrete)...i recently took the tailcap apart to replace the gitd cap to a different color and had some issues getting it to light back up...turns out that the various pieces cant be tightened too much or they wont make contact at all...since i readjusted everything it works reliably again....its waterproof, but i havent actually submerged it , so not sure how much moisture the o-rings would take.....

Overall its a nice light for the money...and they would make good gifts too:thumbsup:

Marcioo

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody!
I bought NDI a couple weeks ago and I'm satisfied with it.
And now I want to have something at work. Something cheaper :thinking:
It's not easy to find some cheap and high power 1AA light. And this one seems really good.
... beats my NDI on the screenshots? Unbeliveable.
Any discharge graph at NiMH would be possible?
Thanks.

SportyBen

Newly Enlightened
This light looks like what i am searching for, even if i would prefer it 2 modes only and smaller - if possible.
Anyone knows how it compares to the Fenix L1T? The L1T sounds good, but i wonder, if it's worth twice as much.

Marcioo

Newly Enlightened
Does somebody have more experiences with this flashlight? I still don't know if I should choose this one or ESE LZ2. Any comments would help. Thanks

raven2000

Newly Enlightened
Re: Marcioo

Well, from these thread, and selfbuilt's review of the Ese LZ2, it appears that both of them are near the top when it comes to maximum output.
However, the Ese is more efficient. Comments on this thread talk about 1 hour battery life on max, while Ese gets almost two before it starts dropping rapidly.
Apart from that, there may be build quality differences. I think Ese LZ2 has better build quality (selfbuilt has compared its build quality to Romisen, he was impressed)
Hmm, apart from that, Ese might have slightly less throw, although i think it will be slightly brighter.

Anyway, be sure to read selfbuilts review on Ese LZ2:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/207772

Personally i ordered an Ese Lz2 after reading it.

PS: i dont have either of these lights, all this information is guesswork and information from ersanada and selfbuilts reviews.

tbenedict

Enlightened
How did you get the switch out? Is there a cheap tool for this?

I tried needle nose pliers, but could not get enough bite. A paper clip was not strong enough. I'm sure I can rig something up, but thought I would check first.

One thing I noticed about the DA1 is that you can tap it to to cycle through the modes. I'm guessing the switch is loose enough to break contact long enough for this to occur.

I've had my DA1 since late June of this year and have been carrying it in my pocket everyday since then (usually accompanied by keys, cellphone, etc)...it is surprisingly bright for running off of a single AA...the downside is that it draws almost 2A at first when a new batt is installed, so it doesnt last more than an hour or so on high mode, and is not well regulated, but you cant expect much from a single alkaline anyway...the different modes can be pretty annoying(i would just prefer a lo/med/hi setting without the stobe/sos BS:shakehead) sometimes it wont stay in the mode it was in before previous use(i'm pretty sure other lights using the same driver suffer the same problem) ....its fairly durable (survived a couple 3-4ft falls to the concrete)...i recently took the tailcap apart to replace the gitd cap to a different color and had some issues getting it to light back up...turns out that the various pieces cant be tightened too much or they wont make contact at all...since i readjusted everything it works reliably again....its waterproof, but i havent actually submerged it , so not sure how much moisture the o-rings would take.....

Overall its a nice light for the money...and they would make good gifts too:thumbsup:

darklord

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in one of these. Does anyone have any runtime data or experience/estimates with this unit?

tbenedict

Enlightened
I like the beam and usefulness of mine. The only real problem I have is the darn tail cap. Mine must have a grounding problem. I've messed with the switch holder and the spring holder several times (usually trying to leave it loose). I can get it to work, but when I replace the battery it seems to get out of adjustment.

I'm thinking about trying to remove some of the coating on the threads to see if that helps. I think it is trying to ground by pressing the end face of the body to the spring holder, but that is hard to align. Part of the problem might be that all of the pieces have right handed threads.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated.