Changing emitter in Fenix E20? Has it been done?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I jsut orderd a Fenix E20. I purchased the light because "focusable" is one one of my favorite features in a light. However its only 109 lumens. My question is will it be possible to change out the emitter/Driver board in this light? Has any one already done it? I would like to go to a Q5 if possible or somthing similar.

TexLite

Enlightened
The site says they dont ship until the 15th,but I'm sure as soon as someone gets their hands on them there will be emitter changes.

Because they are already equipped with Q2's,the change for me would be because of tint and flux,probably not flux alone.

Thanks,
Michael

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for reply.

What do you mean tint/and flux?
Im guessing tint is the color of light maybe, but what is flux?
Also how would you change the tint and flux, is that just by changeing emitters?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
tint=colour
flux=brightness/efficiency.

More flux by changing to an R2/Q5 as it's more efficient.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Jarl for explaining.

I think depending on how the emitter is attached and so on. I am going to look first into maximixing the lights potential useing the 2 aa batteris. I have seen other lights from fenix (L2T) that are 152 lumens that also use a Q2 emitter. Hopefully I can just replace the driver board and get 152 "focusable" lumens. Should this plan fail= ie cannot find the right driver, or still not bright enough. Then I will look at a more powefull emitter that I can slip 2x 14500 li-ions into.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I highly suspect that the E20 has 109 torch lumens, as opposed to emitter lumens. This means it's actually rather bright, and you would be hard pressed to find a better circuit with such rock solid regulation.

TexLite

Enlightened
Should this plan fail= ie cannot find the right driver, or still not bright enough. Then I will look at a more powefull emitter that I can slip 2x 14500 li-ions into.

Now your speaking my language,let us know how it turns out.

The emitter will almost certainly be attached to heatsink with thermal epoxy,should be an easy swap once you get in there.

Michael