ArmyTek        
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

  1. #1

    Default LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    which one should i get? let me tell you what i'm looking for and maybe you can steer me in the right direction. i want the brightest high mode with a beautiful looking beam (read op reflector). a low low would be nice, especially if it was adjustable where i can pick the lumens of the low level. that would be really awesome. i do want to pick the brightness of my own levels on all settings actually. i don't know if that limits me to the LF5XT or not. i like features in the ui, as long as i can learn them reasonably. i love a flashlight i can show off to a friend, usually thats just brightness though i guess. strobe and sos suck, so turning them off would be wonderful. gotta take 14500's but i think that's both of them. i guess that should get us started. any other info comparing them would be nice. thanks,
    jasonsmaglites
    6d rop high 4dmag tri-cree 4d mag penta q5 (fs)
    mte seoul aa 3aa magled q5mod fenix l0d q4 on 10440s
    fenix l2d q5 fenix l2d rebel 100 3dmag w/monsterthrowIII

  2. #2
    Flashaholic* LightWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,630

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    The D10 is made by Nitecore, not Fenix. I've read reviews on the LF5XT and I would not trade my Nitecore D10 for a LF5XT.
    The D10 has a easier UI (user interface). I've read of the LF5XT flickering and whinning and other issues. I recommend searching through the archives: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/....php/f-55.html
    I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. - John 12:46

  3. #3

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsmaglites View Post
    which one should i get?
    If you have to ask that question then I'm not sure you deserve that Flashaholic* title underneath your name.
    If you're asking which to order first, well that's simple - the one that'll ship/reach you the fastest. So order the D10 now, the LF5XT can wait a few more minutes...

  4. #4
    Flashaholic* RyanA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,621

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    lf5xt should be brighter on 14500, and from the pictures it has a nice deep reflector. Looks like a lot of fun to play with, but I think I'd prefer the d10 for edc, much simpler UI.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    Both are great solidly built torches with true microprocessor control and features that up til now have only been found on more expensive CR123 lights. Both encompass about the same brightness (1-2lm low up to ~120-130lm high), but the LiteFlux has a flawless beam, while the PD has the usual ringy Cree beam.

    Which is better for you depends on which of the different design philosophies appeal to you (and the aesthetics of course):

    LF5XT: Supremely flexible programmable UI which will allow you to make the light into just about whatever you want.

    D10: Simple single mode programmable UI for no fuss EDC.

    At $60/$80 the D1/LF5XT both represent amazing value for money, and both have shown the occasional QC issues we've come to expect from torches in this price range. FWIW my LF5XT has no flickering and very faint inductor whine comparable to my NDI. Basically there are just not enough of either model in peoples' hands to draw blanket conclusions about flickering/noise/UI/build problems.

    Personally, I'd like a D10 with the UI and beam quality of the LF5XT. Since that aint gonna happen, I got both. They're cheap enough, so you should too
    Torches removed from sig to help keep searches relevant.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    871

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetnerd View Post
    At $60/$80 the D1/LF5XT both represent amazing value for money, and both have shown the occasional QC issues we've come to expect from torches in this price range.
    To better explain why it's not a cut 'n dried choice, I think it's appropriate to bring up two totally different lights as an example.

    I bought both the NDI and the JetBeam I MK IBS.
    From what I can see, the general consensus is that most people like the NDI better, however, I have come to like the JB better for it's UI.
    So while I read lot's of wonderful reports of NDI owners, and the switch on the JB is less than stellar for it's "hard" action, my personal preference for how the UI worked left me with selling the NDI and keeping the JB.
    I love to hate the JB but I still love it.

    So the point is, rather than asking which is "better", it's more useful to ask specific questions about specific feature differences and make a personal choice based on those. One person's favorite UI might be another person's aggravating UI, etc.
    Incidentally, the ability to tailstand is a deal-breaker for me personally in an EDC type light. So knowing that, I probably should never have bought the non-tailstanding NDI in the first place. That's just one example of how personal preferences for a feature or type of UI mean more than just simple lumens.

  7. #7

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    ok, i'm kind of leaning against putting in an order for the fenix. back when i ordered the liteflux lf2x, i forgot i already put in an order for lf5xt (stupid flashaholic), which is perfect because seeing the ui can be perfectly tailored to me and the beam is beautiful, that's what sold me. the piston design is not as important as the features to me.

    thanks for the info.
    jm
    6d rop high 4dmag tri-cree 4d mag penta q5 (fs)
    mte seoul aa 3aa magled q5mod fenix l0d q4 on 10440s
    fenix l2d q5 fenix l2d rebel 100 3dmag w/monsterthrowIII

  8. #8
    Flashaholic* Crenshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,308

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsmaglites View Post
    ok, i'm kind of leaning against putting in an order for the fenix. back when i ordered the liteflux lf2x, i forgot i already put in an order for lf5xt (stupid flashaholic), which is perfect because seeing the ui can be perfectly tailored to me and the beam is beautiful, that's what sold me. the piston design is not as important as the features to me.

    thanks for the info.
    jm
    its NOT a fenix...

    Crenshaw

  9. #9

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    jasonsmaglites,

    Repeat after me. "NiteCore D10, NiteCore D10." Fenix has absolutely nothing to do with this light. Ok, off soap box.

    Like gadgetnerd, I have both lights, and really like each one. Actually, I have the D10 (AA), an EX10 (123), plus the LF5XT (one of each color).

    LF5XT:
    - UI that allows you to do what you want
    - A real memory mode. None of this "wait x seconds to lock in the memory". It comes back on where you turned it off, no matter how quickly it was turned off after being turned on, mode switched, etc...
    - Flawless finish.
    - Flawless etching / lettering (not a big deal, but excellent it's attention to detail)
    - No moving parts, except the switch, and it's electronic
    - Perfect beam. Such an amazingly usable beam. Zero Cree rings.
    - Strobe and SOS can be tucked away (you can program intensity and duration of these. Wow!)
    - Battery voltage reporting
    - Selectable battery over-discharge protection (you can turn it off!)
    - No whine or flickering on mine

    D10, EX10
    - Amazingly simple UI
    - Very good beam for a Cree (not to LF5XT level though)
    - Excellent machining
    - Piston drive, all electronic switching (should be reliable)
    - Small size
    - Accessories forthcoming (pistons w/ trit and pocket clips)
    - Very well matched anodizing

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* LED-holic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Terminal 4
    Posts
    1,682

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    Quote Originally Posted by clintb View Post
    jasonsmaglites,

    Repeat after me. "NiteCore D10, NiteCore D10." Fenix has absolutely nothing to do with this light. Ok, off soap box.

    Like gadgetnerd, I have both lights, and really like each one. Actually, I have the D10 (AA), an EX10 (123), plus the LF5XT (one of each color).

    LF5XT:
    - UI that allows you to do what you want
    - A real memory mode. None of this "wait x seconds to lock in the memory". It comes back on where you turned it off, no matter how quickly it was turned off after being turned on, mode switched, etc...
    - Flawless finish.
    - Flawless etching / lettering (not a big deal, but excellent it's attention to detail)
    - No moving parts, except the switch, and it's electronic
    - Perfect beam. Such an amazingly usable beam. Zero Cree rings.
    - Strobe and SOS can be tucked away (you can program intensity and duration of these. Wow!)
    - Battery voltage reporting
    - Selectable battery over-discharge protection (you can turn it off!)
    - No whine or flickering on mine

    D10, EX10
    - Amazingly simple UI
    - Very good beam for a Cree (not to LF5XT level though)
    - Excellent machining
    - Piston drive, all electronic switching (should be reliable)
    - Small size
    - Accessories forthcoming (pistons w/ trit and pocket clips)
    - Very well matched anodizing
    Thanks a lot for this, very very helpful.
    Mini split rings for attaching lanyard trick. D10 DIY diffuser trick.

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* WadeF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Perkasie, PA
    Posts
    4,180

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    I'm still waiting on my Liteflux, but you may want to update your title so your confusion doesn't spread and confuse other people (It's the Nitecore D10, not Fenix DX10).

    Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

  12. #12
    Flashaholic* orcinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    1,002

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    LMAO

    Should've put "IT'S NOT A FENIX LIGHT!" a few more times in those summaries. And in bold letters.
    Ante V.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* xcel730's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,756

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    How does Fenix D10 compare with Nitecore P2d?

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* kevinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Denverish
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    Quote Originally Posted by clintb View Post
    D10, EX10
    - Accessories forthcoming (pistons w/ trit and pocket clips)
    Before I go nuts and take a drill press to my EX10 to mount a pocket clip on it, tell me more about the forthcoming accessories.


    The EX10 is amazing. I don't have the LiteFlux, but Jason, you won't be disappointed by the NiteCore.

    Thanks,
    Kevin

  15. #15

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
    Before I go nuts and take a drill press to my EX10 to mount a pocket clip on it, tell me more about the forthcoming accessories.


    The EX10 is amazing. I don't have the LiteFlux, but Jason, you won't be disappointed by the NiteCore.

    Thanks,
    Kevin
    4Sevens posted about it in the CPFM Dealer's thread.
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...&postcount=112

  16. #16

    Default Re: LF5XT or new FENIX DX10

    i have the liteflux on order so i'm holding off on the nitecore.
    i already have a fenix l2d q5 and l1d q5 (lost but somewhere) so i got enough aa's to still call myself a flashoholic and not buy them both.
    seems like the nitecore would be cooler light than the l1d q5 for sure. maybe i'll pick up a nitecore with the intent of replacing the fenix down the line.
    i pray the liteflux comes in tomorrow. we're going out of town for a week tomorrow and i'll be crushed if it doesn't come in.
    6d rop high 4dmag tri-cree 4d mag penta q5 (fs)
    mte seoul aa 3aa magled q5mod fenix l0d q4 on 10440s
    fenix l2d q5 fenix l2d rebel 100 3dmag w/monsterthrowIII

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •