What aluminium is used in the Novatac T6 or T7?

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know what alu is used in the Novatac flashlight T6 or T7? I wanted to know because I have two of them and wondering what type of aluminium is used for these great flashlights.

Thanks for your help. :)

Marduke

Flashaholic
T6 or T7 is just the heat treatment, not the alloy used.

Most high end lights generally use 6061 (more common) or 7075 (less common), most often with a T6 heat treatment

Last edited:

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Marduke.

Do you mean that the aluminium they say is the same except that the treatment is different?

Then what is 6061 and 7075 aluminium?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I beleive it is 6061.
I am quite sure that it is NOT 7075.
IMHO lights of this caliber should be made from 7075.
If given a choice 7075 would be my first choice in the use of aluminum alloy.
Yaesumofo

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
I beleive it is 6061.
I am quite sure that it is NOT 7075.
IMHO lights of this caliber should be made from 7075.
If given a choice 7075 would be my first choice in the use of aluminum alloy.
Yaesumofo

+1 on that.

I beleieve that Novatac should have used 7075 aluminium alloy.

I wonder if that would have made the Novatac any stronger than it already is :thinking:.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Thanks Marduke.

Do you mean that the aluminium they say is the same except that the treatment is different?

Then what is 6061 and 7075 aluminium?

In short, the first 4 digits denote the chemical makeup of the alloy in question. The first digit denotes the primary alloying element used (pure aluminum, copper, magnesium, etc.). Stuff after those first 4 digits (T6, T7, etc) denote a treatment process such as annealing or heat treatment.

When you add it all up, there are somewhere around 20000 different types of aluminum.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4 digit system is for wrought alloys. The four digit system with decimal point is for cast alloys.

1xxx, 99% min pure aluminum
2xxx, Cu major alloying element
3xxx, Mn
4xxx, Si
5xxx, Mg
6xxx, Mg and Si
7xxx, Zn
8xxx, other element

There are some exceptions to the rule that for 2xxx through 7xxx, the alloy group is determined by the alloying element present in the greatest mean percentage, but it is a good rule of thumb.

6061 alloy Al-0.6Si-0.28Mn-1Mg-0.2Cr (in wt %)

7075 alloy is Al-1.6Cu-2.5Mg-.23Cr-5.6Zn.

T6 heat treatment is solution treated, quenched, and artificially aged.

T7 is solution treated, quenched, and stabilized.

Solution treatment -- the alloy is heated into the single phase field and held for enough time for any second phase to dissolve and disperse into the solid solution.

Quenched -- rapidly cooled to avoid second phase precipitation and retain the solid solution. Goal is to produce a supersaturated solid solution that is then ready for precipitation hardening.

Artificial aging -- heat the alloy for precipitation hardening.

Stabilized -- overaging that trades off some strength to improve some other aspect such as dimensional stability or corrosion resistance.