• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Fire Sale: All packs SOLD None left. A123 safe Lithium Phosphate Cells, Real Cheap!

BVH

Flashaholic
Having a Fire Sale.
The basics:

I have 40 ea. A123 cells in 4 spot welded (from factory) DeWalt battery packs. Beyond having removed the top cover and balancing module, I don't want to disassemble (remove the tabs) from the packs so I'll sell as little as one pack or as many as all 4 packs of 10 cells.

1 pack shipped CONUS = $12.00 per cell Total $120.
All 4 packs SOLD - 0 left

Multi-pack discount no longer available.
4 packs shipped CONUS = $11.50 per cell Total $460

PayPal CC and non-CC ok
Post "I'll take ______ pack(s)"

Order of "I'll take it" posts determines who gets them up to the 4 packs for sale. (Concurrently offered on another flashlight forum)

These Lithium Nano Phosphate cells are very safe, extremely rugged and capable of sustaining large Amp draws. Great for hotwires! They're rated at 2300 mah.

I don't think you're going to find brand new, 2008 A123 cells any cheaper than this. The packs/cells are guaranteed not Dead On Arrival.

Now the story behind my sale:

My experiment to power my 28 Volt Locator did not work. I bought 4, brand new DeWalt 36 Volt, A123 cell packs from a DeWalt factory authorized distributor. I actually had to wait 3 weeks for a back-ordered shipment direct from the factory. It is important to note this because the other original 3 packs I got "new" off Ebay, had very poor spot welds on about 10% of the cells and I understand there was a recall back when they first came out. These Ebay packs had a date of 2006 stamped on them.

Back to the new packs. Without modifying them in any way what-so-ever, I wired them in parallel to get a 9.2 AH, 36 Volt pack. Evidently, the balancing module inside the battery pack does not want to be run in parallel with other packs so the electronics in all four packs blew instantly when I connected them to a load.

I have verified that the batteries themselves are undamaged. As soon as I removed the modules from the packs, they measured 36 Volts.

I will now turn to Lux for a special Nimh pack to continue my project and I'd like to recover a bit of my expenditures on these packs and offer a real bargain to CPF'rs who want to experiment with these new cells.

DeWaltA123.jpg

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fire Sale: A123 safe Lithium Phosphate Cells, Real Cheap!

Damn, man. That stinks. Good luck.
Lux makes a great pack, you can't go wrong there.
You could do 24S - 2P or 3P of the Elite4500s. That would give plenty of capacity.

BVH

Flashaholic

Jimmy, you're thinking what I'm thinking - 3 or 4 packs of the Elite 4500's. IIRC, off my LarryK14 4500 Elite pack, I get about 6 or 7 minutes. I'm thinking with less of a load (3.7C on one pack) on the packs, I might get 30 minutes. At 4 packs in Parallel, each pack would contribute about .9C to the 16.5 Amp load. A mere walk in the park for the Elite's.

I might even do 23-cell packs to bring down that initial high voltage.

Last edited:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast

Evidently, the balancing module inside the battery pack does not want to be run in parallel with other packs so the electronics in all four packs blew instantly when I connected them to a load.
Did the electronics blew when you connected the load or when you connected your packs in parallel?
Hum I would have been interrested in a couple but 10 of them might be too much unfortunately

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Considering the size of your battery box. Do you think that 10,000mAh NiMH D cells would provide a better solution? Fewer parallel strings.
Of course at $8.50 a pop...
Tenergy D cells

BVH

Flashaholic

Jimmy, that sounds like a plan. Has anyone given these a review here on CPF as to claimed capacity? I would assume if I had two packs built for parallel operation, then these would easily deliver 2C or slightly less with ease.

Tino_ale... The electronics blew when actually hooked to the load, not when paralled'd together. When paralled'd, Voltage was fine at 35.x. Regardless of the Locator's on/off switch being in the "off" position, when it's connected to a power source, it immediately charges a very large capacitor. This is when it blew. Man, I hate 36 Volt sparks!!!! My Dean's connector didn't like it either!

Last edited:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like *one* pack if you can ship it to France by the cheapest airmail USPS method (that should be : first class mail). I will of course pay for the shipment extra cost compared to the CONUS included.

Please let me know if that works for you ;)

BVH

Flashaholic

OK. I should probably put the yellow cover back on so it doesn't look like some sort of....unusual object. Do you want the blown balancer module?

I'll get it out tomorrow and let you know the difference in shipping. I guessed around $5.00 to $7.00 for CONUS so how about anything over $6.00 you pay? If OK, hold the Paypal till I have all the charges so only 1 PayPal.

Is there a maximum in shipping that you don't want me to go over that would negate the deal?

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast

PM sent, thank you!
OK. I should probably put the yellow cover back on so it doesn't look like some sort of....unusual object. Do you want the blown balancer module?

I'll get it out tomorrow and let you know the difference in shipping. I guessed around $5.00 to $7.00 for CONUS so how about anything over $6.00 you pay? If OK, hold the Paypal till I have all the charges so only 1 PayPal.

Is there a maximum in shipping that you don't want me to go over that would negate the deal?

donn_

Flashaholic

Thank you! These A123 cells are, by far, my favorite batteries. I'm using both sizes, in as many applications as I can, and they are fantastic.

I'll mention their primary benefit, in case anyone is fence-sitting on this great price. These things charge in mere minutes, compared to hours for comparable capacity Li-Ion or NiMH cells. A huge plus in my opinion.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

BVH, I'll take both of your packs....as I am using them in a couple of lights, and for a custom MaxaBeam setup which have a voltage cap that Emoli exceed. I think Karl may want one of these packs. PM sent

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
donn, your package has been dropped at the at Post Office, Priority mail.

tino, I have to wait until the Post Office front counter opens up this morning.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Sorry I missed your PM for early Post Office drop off.....was sleeping! Don't worry about urgent mailing. Next time you are headed out is fine.

Anyway, sent PM and PayPal for 2 packs.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Lux, got PP and am leaving for the P.O. now. I want to get the one pack shipped internationally today and will drop yours off at the same time. Thanks!