Coleman Max 2xCR123A?

parawolfe

Newly Enlightened
First off, I'm new to this forum, this is my first post. I've been lurking for quite some time but now have decided to finally take the plunge. I am a total novice compared to the vast majority in here so please excuse any ignorance I may inadvertantly display. Now to the question...... I was bored and happened to check out Wal-Mart's selection of flashlights today and noticed a new light from Coleman. I have the 3xAAA Coleman Max that Wal-Mart was selling a month or so ago, but this Coleman Max is smaller, uses 2xCR123A and is 115 Lumens. I searched the forum to see if anyone else has run across this light but couldn't find a mention. If anyone else has could you give me your opinion of this light. I picked it up, it was $25. I have several lights, all LED. A few Surefire, Fenix, Maglite and now two Coleman. :wave:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey so how do you like it man.....can you post up a pic so i know what it looks like....so this way the next time im there i know what to look for.

parawolfe

Newly Enlightened
Hey so how do you like it man.....can you post up a pic so i know what it looks like....so this way the next time im there i know what to look for.

alfreddajero,

I guess because this is my first post I am unable to post attachments. But I uploaded a couple pictures to my skydrive and you can view them there.

http://cid-0dd82a14b57635ba.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Pictures/Coleman Max 2xCr123A.jpg
This first is of the Coleman Max 2xCR123A with a Fenix P1D to show the scale of it.

http://cid-0dd82a14b57635ba.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Pictures/Coleman Max 2xCR123A-b.jpg
This second shot is of the Coleman Max 3xAAA on the left, the Coleman 2xCR123A in the middle and the Fenix P1D on the right.
The light seems to be pretty decent, especially a light that costs $25. It has a nice white beam with a bit of wash. I don't know about the throw yet because I haven't had time to test it but the packaging says 65 feet.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
And just to let you know that in order to post up a pic it has to be a link or url from another site......and this goes for all members.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks nice man......are you able to post up a beamshot as well......Do you know what emitter it uses.

Last edited:

parawolfe

Newly Enlightened
Looks nice man......are you able to post up a beamshot as well......Do you know what emitter it uses.

No, I don't know what emitter it uses. I dug the packaging out of the trash to get all the information I could find on the light. It appears the official name is "Coleman Max CR2 Lithium LED Aluminum Flashlight". Cree XLamp XR-E LED: 115 Lumens Output, Beam 64 meters, battery life 2 hours. It comes with two duracell CR123A batteries. It's approximately 4 inches long and the head, being the widest point, is about 1 inch. I don't think I'll be able to take any beam shots but I'll give it try and if they come out decent I'll post them.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
You answered my question.......just as long as its a cree....might have to go there this weekend and check it out. Thank you for the review.:twothumbs

TDKKP

Enlightened
Originally Posted by alfreddajero

alfreddajero,

I guess because this is my first post I am unable to post attachments. But I uploaded a couple pictures to my skydrive and you can view them there.

http://cid-0dd82a14b57635ba.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Pictures/Coleman Max 2xCr123A.jpg
This first is of the Coleman Max 2xCR123A with a Fenix P1D to show the scale of it.

http://cid-0dd82a14b57635ba.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Pictures/Coleman Max 2xCR123A-b.jpg
This second shot is of the Coleman Max 3xAAA on the left, the Coleman 2xCR123A in the middle and the Fenix P1D on the right.
The light seems to be pretty decent, especially a light that costs $25. It has a nice white beam with a bit of wash. I don't know about the throw yet because I haven't had time to test it but the packaging says 65 feet.

parawolfe, I think this is the thread of your light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
No, I don't know what emitter it uses. I dug the packaging out of the trash to get all the information I could find on the light. It appears the official name is "Coleman Max CR2 Lithium LED Aluminum Flashlight". Cree XLamp XR-E LED: 115 Lumens Output, Beam 64 meters, battery life 2 hours. It comes with two duracell CR123A batteries. It's approximately 4 inches long and the head, being the widest point, is about 1 inch. I don't think I'll be able to take any beam shots but I'll give it try and if they come out decent I'll post them.

Package says CR2, but came with CR123's?? Those are two very different batteries.

parawolfe

Newly Enlightened
Package says CR2, but came with CR123's?? Those are two very different batteries.

Marduke,

I stand corrected. They are CR2's. I don't know why I was thinking they were CR123A's. I guess the euphoria of finding a new light:oops:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow......cr2's.....wonder why they would use that medium.......i might have to get it too play with it....if i have to return it.....i have primaries only, thats why i was hoping it was cr123's.

parawolfe

Newly Enlightened
Wow......cr2's.....wonder why they would use that medium.......i might have to get it too play with it....if i have to return it.....i have primaries only, thats why i was hoping it was cr123's.

alfreddajero,

Sorry about that. I don't know what I was thinking. Like I mentioned above, must have been flashlight euphoria, :eek: It is still a nice light for the money. And with Wal-Mart's return policy, you don't have anything to lose if you don't agree. It's not a Surefire or Fenix etc, but it's still a Cree with decent output. I've paid more for worse before, that is for sure. Once again, sorry for the confusion I created about the battery type.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey no need to apologize.......its all good. How long is the runtime on 2 cr2's so i can invest in some rechargeables.........

parawolfe

Newly Enlightened
Hey no need to apologize.......its all good. How long is the runtime on 2 cr2's so i can invest in some rechargeables.........

alfreddajero,

According to the packaging, it's 2 hours. I haven't personally ran the batteries dry yet. I suppose if it had more than one mode besides the full 115 lumens it would get longer battery life. That is probably the only thing I don't like about it. I don't care about an SOS or Strobe mode but I would like the ability to reduce the output power.

joshg

Newly Enlightened
I saw those two lights at my local walmart yesterday too, I also saw a 3XAAA one with blue and red lenses that looked cool. I may have to check these out.

mhubble

Enlightened
Coleman must have come out with a bunch of different lights like all the ones listed here. I saw one at walmart today that was a 2xaa version but it had 5 leds in it. No reflector. Same color as the ones listed above. After seeing the 5 leds I put it back, didnt even read any of the package for output, etc. I think it was 15.00.

Last edited:

parawolfe

Newly Enlightened
I've never seen any mention of either of the Coleman Max 3xAAA or 2xCR2 on either Coleman or Walmart's web sites. Maybe it's some limited production thing? :shrug:

joshg

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to get more info on the lights and neither light is on coleman's website, I found that odd.