ElektroLumens 3D P7

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
I am relatively new to the forum having spent the last month reading as much as I could to get caught up on all the light technology that is going on.
A little background first. My exposure to high performance lights goes back to my days as a LEO in the early 80's. At that time the choices were few for high performance lights. Since I was only part time I had to buy all of my own equipment and the most popular light was the Streamlight SL20.

Unfortunatly that light at the time was outside of my budget so I did what was the next best thing and got a 4C Kel-Lite that I equipped with a Safariland Kyrpton bulb(with washers to focus the bulb within the reflector) and 4 GE rechargeable batteries. This combo served me well for the few years I was a LEO. Afterwards I moved into private security management for highrise buildings and aquired 2 SL20s that now sit dormant and are going to be modded with the info I have picked up here on the CP Forum.
In the early 90's I was exposed to a new company called Surefire and their light the 6p and their weapon lights. I was impressed with the performance of the 6p but not impressed with its storage issues. Units that I had would inexplicably fail when stored in cars and on the shelves with the units discharging and blowing out the bulb and cracking the lens on the lights. I ended up retiring the 6ps and pretty much gave up on high performance lights for quite a while untill recently.

A good friend of mine introduced me to the CP Forum and his work with high performance lighting that he's been involved with for some time. His lights and research rekindled my interest in the high performance light world.
After spending much time here and researching out everything I jumped in and bought some lights and upgrades . My 6ps were resurected with drop in modules from Malkoff and the performance was stunning. I ended up buying a TK10 and was so impressed with its performance as a tactical light I loaned it to a fellow active LEO who was using a ten year old stinger with an output that was at best that could be described as pathetic. He asked for my help in getting him an upgrade and I got him the Streamlight upgrade with the larger head that puts out a whopping 140 lumens.( yea I know.)
Now the Streamlight is bulbus with the larger head which is why I gave him the TK10 to use. I'll probably do some type of an upgrade to his original head. I even upgraded my solitaire with an led upgrade and purchased some AM lights from my freind that I am also happy with.

Since Mag light conversions are so popular I started looking at these and seeing what was available and thought the new P7 conversions would be the way to go based on the info I read here. I was thinking about doing my own mod untill I came across the Elecktrolumens threads about Waynes conversions.
I liked the simple brute force approach that Wayne had taken with the P7 by building a large heat sink and driving it directly to get the most performance from the P7. Addtional research from this site pointed me in the right direction for the D cell batteries I would use to power these lights. The AccuPower Evolution Cells had been tested and found to be very good as reported on this site. These low loss Nimh batteries witha MAHA charger; I felt would be an ideal pairing with these lights.

I sent off two new Mag lights to Wayne that I had bought in special limited edition colors (Jade and Midnight Blue) and Wayne performed his magic on the lights. I got the lights a few days ago and I have to say WOW. These are impressive. Waynes workmanship is first rate.

Last night I had a light shootout with my friends extensive light collection and the P7 was brighter than most of his high end lights and only the more costly Malkoff conversion was on par as output with the Elecktrolumens P7. These lights combine exceptional throw and spill at a price point thats tough to beat (about 140.00 I believe ,although Wayne deducted 18.00 per light from his price since I provided the lights since Wayne only offers black) If I get a chance to get my friend to do some beamshots I'll try to get them posted here. ( a note to the moderators, If I have this in the wrong section please move it to the appropiate section.)

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd recommend adding more visual paragraphs so the post is easier to read.

The Malkoff(presuming the Seoul P4 one) has much less output but it has a narrower beam and that is why it throws as well as the P7.

I'm glad you like the drop-in!

For pictures, first use a site to host them and then use the
insertimage.gif
button and place the link for the picture there. Make sure the picture is 800 x 600 or less.

:welcome:

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
I modified the posting to make it a bit easier to read.
As the Malkoff conversion my friend was using was the one with two leds that was 150.00 that was about equal with the P7. I just ordered a single led upgrade from Malkoff for my nephews 3D maglight that is rated at 240 lumens which I feel for his work will serve him well plus it was on sale at 10% off and can use standard D cell batteries.
In addtion to the led shootout we did some comparisons between the led lights and some high power incans to see the differance. I have to agree that the incans warmer light allows you to see more detail compared to the led lights which are so bright that they have a tendency to wash things out.
All in all I was pleased at the results.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Now it's easier to read, Thanks!

It's not the output of the LED that washes things out, it is the light that they emit.

White LEDs emit mostly in the Blue and yellow range, without much of the other colors. This is due to the way most White LEDs produce light. Blue DIE with a yellow phosphor to change some of that blue into the other colors, mostly yellow. The lacking in red seems to tbe the biggest reason for the lack of depth with LEDs.

The Seoul P7 should be a good bit brighter then the 2 Cree XR-E Q5 Malkoff. But it does take 4x the light for one light to seem 2x brighter by eye. The optic that Malkoff uses is pretty good too hence the similar throw. If you compare the spill, I think you'll see that the P7 conversion you have is brighter then the Malkoff.

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
I have to compare them again but as memory serves I thnk the P7 was brighter but the Malkoff was very close but the Malkoff seemed more floody but was certainly bright. It was the closest of any of the lights to the P7.

I am going to get a UCL lens as Wayne says that will give me 8% more light than the stock mag light lens.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you like the P7 modded M@g's... I'm currently piecing a couple together (collecting components etc.) myself, has your CPF friend introduced you to any Hotwire/HID modified lights yet?

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
My friend is not a HID enthusist. He like various Incan lights and leds but not HIDs. He thinks they are too slow to start up, short lived and to some extent fragile if I remember his objections correctly.
I am in the middle of a sl20 mod using a 8 volt osram 50 watt bulb and plan on driving it with a max of 9.6 volts (possibly more up to 10.8 if the bulb will take it) using a adjustable output tailcap from streamlight to see what this combo will do.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are HID lights with instant strike and restrike, so they start out with a good bit if output. The better ones are also pretty durable. The bulbs last longer then incans too. A great example is the Polarion H50. The price tag is pretty high though.

Good luck with your mod.

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
To Gunner 12.
How does HID compare in terms of color rendition. You've explained LEDs and the Incans but I'm not sure about HID. Most people that have them on their cars say the would have them again. ( about 85% is what I read) Does the HID do a better job in terms of rendering things more readily visable?
Yes I think that was one of his objections was cost and that example at 2200.00 is certainly out of my price range.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullet Bob - welcome to CPF, and to flashlights =) I have a clear glass lens - not quite UCL, but it is still much better than the stock plastic, and is pretty dang close to the UCL in terms of clarity - that I have extra, that I can send you for free - PM me your address and I'll have it off to you, as a small 'welcome to CPF' gift =)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
HID and color rendering. The two most common color tempreature for HID lights seem to be 6000K and 4300K. From the pictures(I don't have anywhere close to enough money to buy a good HID) the 6000K ones seem more like a normal white LED color render wise. The 4300k ones seem to provide a lot more incan like colors.

Check this thread to see how some of the colors compare.

Latest posts