Santa Barbara Wildfires + Blackout!

jake25

Enlightened
For those of you in California you know we're getting hammered by fires all over the place. There's a fire just 2 miles away from me that was coming my way, the fire knocked out power for the entire city of Goleta/Iv/ and Santa Barbara for 14 hours.

Guess what that means!:thumbsup:

I had to lend out my Lowes TF Q5 to my friend and gave some extra eneloops to him. My ROP scared the crap out of some cops who actually had Pelican 7090's. And my friends weren't making fun of me!

For the most part i used my SF C2 w/ Q5 dropin to walk around the streets. In the house I did something weird. I took my Dexlight X.1 and put it on eneloops on low/medium and left it in a tupperware filled with water, it works apparently. We all showered by dexlight/tupperware light, in cold water, quite interesting.

I wish I had more lights though. My favorite quote of the night, when i lit up my Sam's POB..."Woah dude go easy on the eyes man" . The guy was either drunk or high.

I have a few pictures of the fire and my weird contraption, i'll try to get it up.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Good Luck fellow California CPF'ers !!! Be prepared.

Fight fire with candlepower!!

San Jose finally had some clear air to breathe this week. For a couple weeks it was really hazy and an ash/soot dust layer covered anything outdoors. People sitting near windows and doors have been having respiratory problems here in the office.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
My parents live off Alameda Padre Serra above Milpas. I just gave them my Lumapower M1 and a bunch of batteries recently. Hope that area doesn't burn. It would bring back some memories though of driving down APS looking at the flames with my dad while my sister was crying.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
3D Maglite with Elektrolumens MT-1, SF E2L, L4, "homemade" M4, and a Zeberalight for good measure. My brother had his MagCharger with a slight lamp upgrade supplied by me. What a night that was for darkness enthusiasts.

Hey Jake, if you want a good laugh, head over to Orchard Supply & Hardware and look at the flashlight section. The Mags are still there, but the $2.00 cheapies have been cleaned out. I was there getting replacement bulbs for some of my grandmother's lights and the isle was the most crowded it has ever been. Anyway, glad you were prepared. Stay safe!

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Latest is that the fire is burning down towards Glen Annie/La Patera with 200 homes evacuated.

I was briefly prepared to evacuate my apartment during the San Diego fires.
Equipped.org is a good site, but their emphasis is on the live-in-the-woods type of survival--the last thing you want to do in a wildfire. The majority of those killed in San Diego's wildfires were illegal aliens attempting to cross the border on foot and hiding in the brush covered hills.

The most important item is a gassed up car (or motorcycle to dodge obstacles) that can get you clear of the burn area. Once clear, it's mainly a matter of finding a hotel room or staying with some family/friends.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Water and cash is good too =)

The air cleared up here in Oakland today, I'm guessing our fire-afflicted friends' counties are experiencing more victory over the flames...scary stuff.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of you in California you know we're getting hammered by fires all over the place. There's a fire just 2 miles away from me that was coming my way, the fire knocked out power for the entire city of Goleta/Iv/ and Santa Barbara for 14 hours.

Guess what that means!:thumbsup:

It means legalizing gay marriage was a big mistake.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You gotta be kidding...

Please don't quote Scripture and then write such bigoted statements like that.

Not only is it against forum rules, it's in bad taste - and you do the very God you follow a disservice in misrepresenting him.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
You gotta be kidding...

Please don't quote Scripture and then write such bigoted statements like that.

Not only is it against forum rules, it's in bad taste - and you do the very God you follow a disservice in misrepresenting him.

What I said is not a bigoted statement it's the truth and I have done God no disservice.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
What I said is not a bigoted statement it's the truth and I have done God no disservice.

Lightwalker, it is because of attitudes like this that many people have left organized religion entirely. You're entitled to believe what you wish, but you'r enot entitled to come to a forum like this and use your beliefs as a nightstick against others. Lose the self-rightousness, pal.

Last edited:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's bring it back on track...

Hopefully today there won't be any mishaps with illegal fireworks, setting off fires...I'm sure the FD's are a bit nervous about that =/

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
It means legalizing gay marriage was a big mistake.

Yes, because we all know that God delves the punishment of so-called "sin" through group-rate plan packages.

Buh-bye now.

Anywho...

Jake, if you see any of those Eveready 3LED lights, grab a couple up. They're useful.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, because we all know that God delves the punishment of so-called "sin" through group-rate plan packages.

Buh-bye now.

Anywho...

Jake, if you see any of those Eveready 3LED lights, grab a couple up. They're useful.

If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people;
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:13-14

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
"I took my Dexlight X.1 and put it on eneloops on low/medium and left it in a tupperware filled with water, it works apparently."

Instead of water, how about lime Jello? :naughty: Photos please!