Nuwai Q3 good intro to real flashlights

keysandslots

Newly Enlightened
A friend of mine just picked up one of those cheap, multi-LED lights at an automotive parts discount store and seemed to think it was good enough for him. I'd like to get him something a bit more impressive and since Battery Junction currently has the Q3 on sale, do you think this would be a good start?

Thanks

Randy

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you are willing to wait for a bit, I'd recommend something like the RC-N3.

This is for two reasons. CR123 batteries cost a lot to most people who don't buy online. The RC-N3 with 2 AAs should also run longer then the Q-III. The forward clicke could also be a plus.

But if he doesn't mind CR123 and you would like the faster shipping time.

Shiningbeam has the RC-N3
(and also Q5 versions) and they are in NY so shipping would be quicker.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Q3 was very popular here a couple years ago but is fairly obsolete now.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stick with AA or AAA batteries for gifts to non flashaholics.
Yo may also consider the Ultrafire C3 Cree Q5 LED Flashlight with Extension. Gives him the option of 1AA for pocket carry or 2AA for more light. This is a multimode light with memory despite the DX claim of single mode. So if you think the UI is too complicated consider MTE 1xAA SSC-P4 42180-U Flashlight.
As your friend already has a torch but it is too big for EDC or keychain maybe a Ultrafire WF-602C Cree P4-WC 60-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*AAA). Note this version can NOT be used with a 10440.
CR123 batteries cost a lot to most people who don't buy online. The RC-N3 with 2 AAs should also run longer then the Q-III. The forward clicke could also be a plus.

More like 5.
It is big for a CR123A light (bigger than most of todays 1AA lights. It is only 28 lumens (most of todays 1AA lights are 50-90 lumens).
The reason it was popular was it can be DD with a RCR123A for more light (the LED in the older Q1 would smoke) or you can do a multimode mod with a flupic. Not too many people would buy it for use in stock form.
The Q3 was very popular here a couple years ago but is fairly obsolete now.

Last edited: