My ultimate camping light

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened
Ok so after many hours contemplating on this I have come up with what would be in my opinion, the perfect camping light.

1) powered by 1 18650 for long runtime.
2) a warm tint for good color rendition
3) a very low low for preserving night vision
4) a beam more on the spill side

Does anyone know such a light to exist?

(It looks like it could be a modded vb-16 to hold a warm tint cree.)

zven

Enlightened
Well, I can't say I know of a light to match those four criteria, but I do have some other comments to offer.

First, I have to question a reliance on rechargeables in situations such as camping. I suppose it may make enough sense if it's a light that can take both rechargeables and primaries, and then only use the rechargeable cell(s) first for as long as they last. But I tend to look at camping as a situation where you're going to be away from any electrical source for charging for long periods of time. Granted, the runtime with 18650 may last you that long for your planned trip, but what if you have to use the light for longer? Or if somehow you get stuck out there for days or weeks longer than you expect? Anyway, I'd personally recommend a light that can take primary cells, and pack a supply of those, in case your rechargeables fail/get depleted/etc.

Next up, for criteria 1 (at least, in terms of the long runtime), 3 and 4, I'd recommend the Zebralight H30 Q5. Designed as a headlamp, but also stands on a table quite nicely, or has a clip that you could use, etc. Many possibilities there. It's got a very wide beam, and is entirely flood - no spot. And it's got three levels of light, with the high being comfortably bright (though perhaps not completely awe-inspiring; I'd rate it at maybe 65 lumens), and the low being at a perfect level for preserving your night vision (provided you dont shine it directly in your eye from about eight inches away). And the runtimes are great: 2.5 hours on high, 21 hours on medium, and 3.7 days on low. All this on a single CR123 cell, in a package that's just barely bigger than the battery itself. And, in case you're concerned, it is advertised as being able to take 3.7 V rechargeable cells (though I still highly recommend taking primaries). Basically, it's a great all-around, close-up light that you can use to find your way around a campsite, work on stuff with both hands free, and then stick it on your keychain for the ride home. Its color rendition I suppose isn't anywhere near what you'd get with an incandescent, nor is it as warm as you'd get with an Inova T1 (2008), but it's certainly not the coldest tint out there.

Of course, although I never intend to go camping again without the H30, I'll certainly never be caught out there without a more "normal" light. Thus, at the very least, I'll have something like a SF G2L, Inova T1, or even some variation of a Maglite. Of course, for this other light, I'm sure there's something in the 18650 form factor that you could choose from. Say, on that note, I've heard good things about Dereelights; to my knowledge they make lights (as well as pills alone) compatible with 18650. And one of the dropins uses a CREE Q2 emitter with a nice, warm tint. I forget the part number/model name on that, but it's worth searching for, I think.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the primaries vs 18650's is an interesting argument IMO. 2xCR123A at 1300mah are just under 8 watt hours. A 18650 at 3.7V, 2200mah is just over 8 watt hours. Negligible self discharge since it's lithium, and you're hardly going to find CR123A's in an african village.

If you're camping I'd say take a backup light that runs on AA's as you can find those wherever you find civilisation. Then, go for your special custom batteries and stock up on them.

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
How about MONTHS of runtime @8-10hrs/night on 1 standard alkaline or lithium battery? The 1.5 oz 9V Pak-Lite http://www.9voltlight.com/inc/sdetail/61 may be the answer. Their website says it is used by US Air Force Special Operations in Iraq, and has many testimonials from soldiers, campers, hikers, and outdoors magazines. Besides the standard white LEDs, it is also available in a "super bright" version, a GITD version, and with different color LEDs, including infrared. If you needed extra peace of mind, it would be easy to carry a spare, and 9V batteries are widely available.

Last edited:

Latest posts