BMW Motorcycle advice

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, always wanted a bike and have riden a fair amount but always on borrowed bikes.:( Now, maybe it's the right time to go for one. I sure can use some advice though. BMW is one of the finest and what I'm thinking about. Anyone out there have one and want to tell some stories about it?

Karl

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, all current "big" brands are "fine". You don't necessarily get a lot more from a BMW than from a, say, Honda... except for the price tag.

I can't help if you're absolutely set on getting a BMW because I've always ignored them (too expensive for what they are), but if you're flexible on other brands there are interesting options.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned a couple. None recently. I did all my wrenching (there was very little to do), so maintenence cost was not a big factor. They're great bikes. I may own another someday.

As far as worth the $$ - that's your call. My experience has been that if I settle for something "less" than what I really want, I always wonder. And usually wind up getting what I'd wanted in the first place after the trouble and expense of dealing with the substitute.

The BMW's were worth it then and as far as I'm concerned they will be worth it in the future if I decide to buy one. No different than buying a Surefire when a DollarStore flashlight will give you light????

Interesting comment Fallingwater. What cycles do/have you owned?

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we ignore my 50cc scooter, which doesn't really qualify as a motorcycle, I own a Kawasaki ER-6F, also known as Ninja 650R. It's my first bike, but I like to read up on bikes whenever the chance presents itself, so I do have some knowledge. Mind you, I know my limitations and I wouldn't tell Karl to buy his bike based on my advice alone.

On the subject of BMWs: when choosing my bike, I briefly considered buying a second-hand F800S. In the end I figured the money I'd spend on a second-hand F800S would get me a new ER-6F, so I went for that instead. The fact that insurance for a 800cc is more expensive than for a 650cc had something to do with the choice too.

Only thing I really dislike about my bike is the lack of a fuel level gauge. Everything else is just the way I wanted it. The other day I read the national price list and noticed, to my surprise, that if for some reason I had to give up my bike and buy another one I'd get the same model.

I don't doubt the BMW brand offers good (perhaps excellent) quality, but if you can settle for slightly less bang, you get a lot more buck in exchange. :p

Oh, and personally I dislike the BMW boxer design common to many of their models. In principle the low-centre-of-gravity idea is good, but in practical use you risk scraping the cylinders on cars and other objects, especially in city driving.

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had 3. The boxer twin is a unique animal, make sure it is for you before you buy one. I would suggest buying used since the 2-3 year depreciation hit is huge. The new warranty is great for a bike though if you put on piles of miles.

I like them for the ABS and telelever suspensions. Similar to the cars they have their own "feel". Some of em have cruise and other gizmos that are nice.

Currently I've got a 2004 R1100S and with some bar risers it's a great sport touring ride.

What's your budget and riding style?

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, budget and riding style. My budget is fairly good at this point. My riding style has always been limited to shorter "jaunts" of 100 miles or so and more so about town and within a 20 mile radius. To tell you the truth, I haven't ridden in 10+ yeras I'm going to guess.

I've always had a hankerin' for a BMW, am anticipating retirement in about a year and, have been kickin' some tires and a real good deal has presented itself to me. Matter of fact, I hope to see the bike this weekend if things work out right. If they don't, I'm thinking next year and hope for a great deal at the end of the usual season for a new bike. My intent if I get what I want? Much longer rides so I'm looking for a tourer.

Karl

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much longer rides so I'm looking for a tourer.

Get something with cruise. Plan to replace the crappy BMW seat with a Sargent/Corbin/etc.

I had a 1996 R1100RT and it was a great touring bike. The wind protection was so good that the airflow in the heat wasn't that great.

Buy good gear and wear it ;)

What kind of bike is the good deal?

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I prefer the /6 and /7 series bikes because of the lack of gizmos. Just old school.

If I find a low mile mid 80's RT (that isn't black) I'll snatch it up. 200 mile days are about all I care for now and my present '05 KLR is a fine around town bike - again, strictly old school 80's tech.

The boxer engine in traffic is a non-issue.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The boxer engine in traffic is a non-issue.

Agreed. I like the fact that the jugs will take the beating instead of my legs if I get too close to something. That and they make good highway pegs. The giant saddlebag width can be a real issue though. I think some of the newer models have expandable saddlebags...

Last edited:

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
BMWs are great motorcycles! I've owned three and have over 300K on BMWs. I have visited all of the continental 48 on 1 BMW.
Which touring model are you looking at this weekend?
If you're into touring, both the R and K touring BMWs are excellent bikes.
Good luck with your quest.
:thumbsup:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would listen to the guy with 300k miles of hands-on (maybe butt-on) experience. I figure it's obvious that someone on a BMW can afford about any bike they desire and they've decided on the BMW.

Right, FW - I've not experienced an Italian rush hour (and don't intend to). But in reality, the boxer engine doesn't extend beyond the bar ends or bags, so it really is a non issue. I haven't checked, but I doubt if there's much difference in width between the boxers and the inline 4's.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
I just bought a new Yamaha FZ6. I wanted to get a BMW, but I just did not have the budget for it.

I looked for a few months for a used one. Never found one that was a few years old. In fact, there are nowhere near as many used BMW's for sale as other bikes.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
BMWs are great motorcycles! I've owned three and have over 300K on BMWs. I have visited all of the continental 48 on 1 BMW.
Which touring model are you looking at this weekend?
If you're into touring, both the R and K touring BMWs are excellent bikes.
Good luck with your quest.
:thumbsup:

Thanks. Well, the bike I just looked at is a 2003 K1200 RS, not a real touring bike but, it's such a great deal on a bike with 1,800 miles I had to look at it. Unfortunately, despite the fact that it is like new and is an almost unbelievable price, I just don't feel right on it--too far forward and my legs bunched up more than I'd like. I really want it but I'm afraid it just won't suit my needs. I felt like a grasshopper on it and I don't feel that would be conducive to riding more than 50 miles or so at a shot. Just not the bike for me it seems and I'll just have to keep on looking....tough to pass it up though since it's about 1/2 the price of a new R1200RT, the bike I'd really like to get....:mecry:

Karl

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Agree with BigIron, buy once! We're all like kids in a candy story when buying lights, vehicles and other equipment but resist the urge to buy something that isn't quite right.

Culhain

Enlightened
I've owned 6 BMWs and found them to be great bikes. I just hit the 200k mile mark on the K series and find them to be great machines. For in town use and short trips, I find that the R series offer advantages with their low center of gravity, light weight and ease of use. For touring use, I prefer the K series. (If I were to mention my preferences at a BMW rally it would be akin to comparing LED to incans in the General Discussion Forum.:grin2: )

Since you haven't riden in a while, I suggest that you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) rider course. I have taken the course twice, breaking old bad habits and learning new things each time and proving that an old dog, with a healthy appreciation of risk management, can learn new tricks.

Required knowledge for new BMW riders is the proper use of the nicknames Beemer and Bimmer. Read here:
http://www.bmwccbc.org/misc/tech-and-trivia/bimmer.html

Last edited:

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
You were correct to pass on the K bike. The riding position would have been very uncomfortable "down the road".
The R1200RT is the sine qua non of sport touring motorcycles.
An excellent fairing, great handling, BMW reliability, etc etc.
You can do 50 miles or 1000 miles in a day with that bike.
When not touring, take off the saddle bags and you have a very nimble and capable motorcycle.
I don't think I've heard anyone "bad mouth" that bike.
It is a motorcycle that is well worth waiting for.
Best of luck with your hunt.
Cheers. :thumbsup:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you haven't riden in a while, I suggest that you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) rider course. I have taken the course twice, breaking old bad habits and learning new things each time and proving that an old dog, with a healthy appreciation of risk management, can learn new tricks.

Thanks, I'm already enrolled and will have my first class August 12th!

Karl