Fenix TK11 doughnut close-up beam

Windscale

Enlightened
Earlier today I have tested 3 TK11s. In all of them I have found a doughnut shape close-up beam (at 2 feet or closer) of varying degree. Of course the doughnut centred in at longer distances and the doughnut disappeared and became a centre spot. I did not buy the TK11s. Please tell me if any of you have the same experience. Could this be due to the construction of the reflector cone? Or could it be sample differences only?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's typical for flashlights with smooth reflector. With textured one it's visible up to 30cm (one foot).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
that happens with every reflector

but I say: send them back for replacement!
A 200+ lumen light is meant, and 99% of its time used, for distances under 2 feet
:rolleyes:

... man, those whitewall hunters ...

Windscale

Enlightened
The doughnut just looked annoying, that's all. The A9 does not have it. If it is typical and normal, I will probably go back to buy it.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
(at 2 feet or closer) of varying degree.

So did some actually show a donut at 2 feet, or were most of them showing a donut at 6 inches or less?

"2 feet or closer, of varying degree" is pretty vague...

Sounds pretty normal though, especially when you're less than a foot away. My TK10 with a textured reflector starts to show a donut hole at around 4-5 inches.

Windscale

Enlightened
All visible at about 1 foot. Varying in the sense that the centre hole varied in size (from slightly bigger to slightly smaller). This would not affect long distance beam shape but just annoying to look at at close-up. I am asking because this does not happen to the A9 which also appeared to have a smooth reflector.

cat

Enlightened
Is the Tiablo A9 not just as much - or more - focussed for throw than the TK11?

Do the Dereelights show a hole at less than 12"?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My fenix L2D has a donut at less than a foot(smooth). My Raw al has a donut at less than 2 inches (textured), my RC-G2/rebel (Textured) has no donut.

Donuts annoy me, so if I think I'm going to be doing close range I'll always make sure I've got a light beyond my L2D (normally have a raw al as it's my EDC)

HKJ

Flashaholic
Is the Tiablo A9 not just as much - or more - focussed for throw than the TK11?

Do the Dereelights show a hole at less than 12"?

The Tiablo is a thrower and has a much bigger reflector than the TK11.
If your are talking about the DBS it has about the same reflector as the Tiablo and might not show a hole.

A test with my throwers show:
Tiablo A9: No hole
Spear: No Hole
MRV: Hole

Ray1968

Newly Enlightened
With my TK11 I only notice the doughnut hole at about 1 foot and closer. Beam is noticeably off-center though.

beam1.jpg

kageneko

Newly Enlightened
My TK11 also has a noticeable donut, but it is not as off center as the one in the picture (though it is slightly off center). I'm not bothered by it, because I bought this flashlight for throw. My other lights are for closer use.

kdrocks

Newly Enlightened
My TK11 also has a noticeable donut, but it is not as off center as the one in the picture (though it is slightly off center). I'm not bothered by it, because I bought this flashlight for throw. My other lights are for closer use.

have this same problem too. its my first flashlight so i really not bothered. if its normal, its ok to me.

for closer range use, might look for something smaller after this.

Mag317

Newly Enlightened
Fenix-store ever replied to my email saying that we can get a replacement flashlight if the LED is off-center upon recieving.

With my TK11 I only notice the doughnut hole at about 1 foot and closer. Beam is noticeably off-center though.

beam1.jpg

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
I want one of these but I think I'll wight. Maybe a few of the first off the line came out tweaked.
:oops:

kdrocks

Newly Enlightened
Hi Mag317,

The replacement is possible if the beam is off center like in the photo you posted?

Or is this normal due to smooth reflector used because I found few respond in regards to smooth reflector when the beam is like this.

Or maybe the first batch is like this and they will correct it in later production batch?

Cheers,
kdrocks

kdrocks

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it's a problem either, way too bright to be used at such a close distance anyway right?

Yes, even the general mode can light whole room when beam bounced off-white ceiling.

I suppose, if you're lighting a close distance object/path 10-15 feet is just nice.

Reading with this thing, you should have the light 10 feet away i think.

Mag317

Newly Enlightened
Pic was posted by Ray1968 not me.

U can try to contact the dealer which you bought from for a replacement but no sure how they will it for u. But Fenix-store did confirmed with me thru email that they will replace the light if found that the LED is off-center upon recieving.

smooth reflector usually produce beam with rings and hole marks but from the pic its quite obvious to say that the LED was off-center(and maybe due to over size cut out of the reflector as well). Maybe someone can post pic of the of the LED to confirm whether the LED is off-center.

Hi Mag317,

The replacement is possible if the beam is off center like in the photo you posted?

Or is this normal due to smooth reflector used because I found few respond in regards to smooth reflector when the beam is like this.

Or maybe the first batch is like this and they will correct it in later production batch?

Cheers,
kdrocks

Last edited: